what my son found today (dont get to excited just a long legger)

Dravensmom

Arachnosquire
While we were out catching pillbugs my son found a daddy long legger. He was sooo excited he played with the poor thing for about an hour before putting him back. I have never seen one with such long legs.

Attachments

whitewolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
How cute. It's been a long time since I've found any. They used to be everywhere. :(

Dravensmom

Arachnosquire
hmm maybe? I live in pa and have always called them daddy long leggers.. Im no expert so it is very possible lol

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
yeah it's a harvestman.

careful! these are the most venomous spiders on earth! good thing their fangs are just too small to penetrate human skin!

;)

Dravensmom

Arachnosquire
I heard that before but I though that was a myth. :eek:I played with them all the time and never had a problem..think they could get their fangs into a very young child? I may think twice before letting him play with one again or would it never be an issue?

Gnat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
harvestmen dont even have fangs, or venom for that matter

Anubis77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
so then no worries? thankyou :)
Just some hobbyist humor from Widowman. Totally safe to let your son keep handling them.

It's nice to see a parent that encourages interaction with animals like arachnids, by the way.

KnightinGale

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yes, and very cool that he is interested in watching it and playing with it rather than pulling it or squishing it. He obviously was nice and gentle, especially for one so young.

Dravensmom

Arachnosquire
O lol forgive me in new. I will have to watch out for you widowman :embarrassed: lol. Thankyou, the intrest came to him naturally and once he found out bugs were less fun dead.. he learned to be very careful. He even puts other children in timeout for squishing bugs.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
haha, no, they're pretty neat little arachnids for little kids (and big kids! :eek:) to play with. totally harmless, but sometimes they get pretty big and leggy, so they are always fun :D

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
O lol forgive me in new. I will have to watch out for you widowman :embarrassed: lol. Thankyou, the intrest came to him naturally and once he found out bugs were less fun dead.. he learned to be very careful. He even puts other children in timeout for squishing bugs.
That's frithing adorable!

My little sister used to smush bugs all the time until I found these little fuzzy black caterpillars out in the yard, now she's fascinated.