What Monitor Lizard to get?

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey everyone. I was just curious if any of you folks could give me some suggestions as to a species of Varanid I could keep. I currently have a 55 gallon terrarium that I would like to make use of. Size is the most important issue, I have kept a male Nile Monitor in the past and truly don't feel like making another 16 foot enclosure, haha. So, does anyone here have experience with monitors, particularly one that could be housed in a 55? I've been reading up on Timors and Ackies, but was curious if there are any other species as well, particularly from Africa.

Thanks for the input.

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I don't know much about monitors, but my Niger Uromastyx is GREAT!! :D

He lives in a 55g very comfortably, too.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If your still looking for a monitor, I'd say go with a Savannah(sp?) monitor. They don't grow as large as other monitors, but still get to a size where they won't fit in a 55 gallon. You should look into them, and if not interested I'd say go for a Uromastyx.

rollinkansas

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
55 gallon is going to be to small for 90% of monitors. A 4x2x2 is a good size if you want to keep one or 2 dwarf monitors, and even that could be said to be small for 2 monitors

Penna

Arachnopeon
all the smaller monitors are arboreal anyway. if i were you i would consider a blue tongue skink, i highly recommend them as the best "pet" lizard

mrbonzai211

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Savannah monitors are incredible pets and amazing predators. it's insane watching them hunt and kill prey

They're a little more wild then uromastyx but if you handle them regularly they tame pretty quickly though

Joe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I can't believe nobody has recommended ackies yet. Pretty much the best pet monitor, IMO. Small size, good temperament, interesting personalities.

rollinkansas

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
all the smaller monitors are arboreal anyway. if i were you i would consider a blue tongue skink, i highly recommend them as the best "pet" lizard
Maybe you are confusing the tree monitors with the dwarf monitors. While green, blue, and black tree monitors need vertically oriented cages, kimberly rock, black head, freckled monitors, etc dont need such high cages, and instead need length and width.

jwmeeker

Arachnopeon
My vote is for the ridge tailed monitor (ackies) or kimberlies. I've raised both and both species are loaded with personality. They are very exciting to watch hunt for their prey and roam their enclosures. Pilabarensis I hear are also a very neat monitor, but are probably the most expensive dwarf monitor at the moment. Ackies have come down considerably in price; you can probably find them under $150 if you search. I haven't seen hardly any kimberlies for sale recently. Maybe nobody is having luck producing them, or maybe they are just being sold quickly out of the egg. They will probably run $650 plus.

rollinkansas

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I keep kimberies and im not sure they would make a good pet. Most people want something they can handle, and kimberies are very skittish, not to mention the stress...although if it was strictly for a display animal then I dont really see a problem with it.

Penna

Arachnopeon
Maybe you are confusing the tree monitors with the dwarf monitors. While green, blue, and black tree monitors need vertically oriented cages, kimberly rock, black head, freckled monitors, etc dont need such high cages, and instead need length and width.

I was basing my statement on the fact he was considering a 55 gallon tank. more than I was claiming all small monitors are arboreal. i should have worded it better sorry.

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Eh, I figure I wont dish out the dough for a dwarf that I could potentially keep in a 55, I think I'll just wait to snag a Uromastyx down the line, or maybe make a vivarium. It's a shame it's not an actual aquarium though, I'd buy a nice Midas Cichlid in a heart beat.

Ophidio

Arachnopeon
if you've only got a 55g tank, then ackies are probably the way to go. or timors, but they're pretty nervous. both are relatively expensive, but only the dwarf monitors will live happily in that size tank, likely only 1 at that. if you're willing to get something larger, then a savannah monitor would be a good choice, argentine tegus are great too.

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As much as I adore monitors, you should probably go with a Uro. They're much easier to care for and more of a "pet".

ZooRex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Check out Proexotics.com and there selection of (dwarf) monitors. ~ Rex

monitormonster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Not many monitors will comfortably fit into a 55 gallon as adults. I would suggest building a bigger cage (though not 16 foot) and getting a Tegu or a Savannah Monitor. I am assuming you want a lizard that is easily tamed with lots of personality.....