What made you want to own a tarantula?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I loved bugs and snakes growing up. Always liked finding the big ones. Saw a tarantula in person at a pet store as a 9y/o and was hooked. Been keeping ever since.

KeGathings17

Arachnosquire
Probably have Steve Irwin to blame here, as I remember being a kid and loving his shows. From that point on it was catching garter snakes, and feeding black widows, and wanting books on all things animals. Still love them to this day, and my first t was a gift.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
I don’t own any. I’m just here to give advice about tarantulas. They scare me to death.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
I will need a leather (pleather if we have PETA supporters) couch to go deep on this.

I’ve always had arachnophobia. In 2016 (early 40’s) I tried my hand at keeping tarantulas and failed miserably. In 2020 I tried again and it was a connection, fascinating and intriguing to watch their behavior and beauty.

I still have my share of jump scares when opening up some of the enclosures, but it’s mental conditioning and the desire to conquer unfounded fear. I’ve never been traumatized by spiders, it’s an inherent fear probably leaned from how others around me reacted to them. I still do not like most true spiders.

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Unlike many here, I fortunately never suffered from arachnophobia. I've been fascinated by all types of animals since I was a small child. Seeing a live Theraphosa at an exhibition in the mid '90s is what sparked a greater fascination for them. Fast forward to '09, got me a G. porteri AF from my LPS... and the rest is history. Without spiders, we probably wouldn't be existing today. The general populace likely don't realize how important they are at keeping harmful insect populations in check.

I get to keep a 5"+ spider for the low, LOW cost of a weekly water change and 3-4 crickets a month. How could anyone say NO to that ?!

Bertie86

Arachnopeon
Spiders are dope!
Always have been and everybody knows it.
They are definitely dope! wished I had learnt that earlier!

I have friends who are into insects and spiders, so after seeing them for a while, I started to look into it myself. I've always been fascinated by them and never feared them, but I didn't realize that you could have one as a pet, I guess.

Anyway, after about 6 months of watching feeding and rehousing videos, I confessed to my friends that I was thinking about getting a tarantula, and I ended up buying one at a bug fair with their encouragement. I was fascinated by them.

I am high strung, so sudden movements and surprises spook me, but I feel like owning spiders has made me try to overcome that, because I love my spiders and I don't want them to get hurt because of my reactions. I tend to go into each rehousing situation as prepared as possible and take a few breaths before I start to try to keep from jerking back if they lunge or bolt.
Hi

That's really cool, I do wish I had the same kinda friends to learn from like that when I was younger. My housemates want zero spiders in the house, may have to sneak one in, by then it would be too late to get rid of it. So major kudos taking the plunge.
Do you handle yours? They are so vulnerable, watching youtube videos you begin to realise how cute these predators are.

Hi! My interest in Ts came about after starting to keep Phiddipus regius Jumping Spiders. Before having them, I would have classed myself as severely arachnophobic. I couldn't even enter a room if there was a possibility of one even being in there (the shed, for example). I even used to have my partner scan the bathroom each morning before I could go in just in case one had taken up residence overnight in the tub.

Long story short, I was fed up being scared so I replaced fear with knowledge. The more I learned, the more fascinated I became and that lead me to get the P. regius that I have. After spending a while learning some more, I decided to take the plunge and got my first two Ts. These were C. cyaneopubescens and B. emilia. I absolutely fell in love. After that I was hooked.

I now have 2 P. regius and 12 (picking up my 13th this evening!) Tarantulas. I'm still a little wary of True Spiders, but I would absolutely love to try and overcome that by having a Wolf Spider of some sort one day. But for now, I'm happy with my little collection. Most of them are New World, but I have a couple of Old Worlds in there too for a little bit of spice. They're also a mixture of Terrestrial and Arboreal.
Hi

Jumping spiders seem a great way to go first, being small and all, can get some well nice coloured ones too. May take that same route.

Aaah nice, that's crazy to actually think you were that petrified of them and how far learning about spiders has changed your perception. Owning 15 eight legged friends from not being able to be in the same room as them is incredible. You got names for them all? How did the pick up go yesterday? Old world are more likely to bite (more venomous) and new world can throw their hairs right? No idea if i've got that right. A mixture of docile and crazy too haha?

Hello, hope we're of some aid. I personally was largely disdained towards these creatures in my youth, even sparking an irrational fear of bananas (more as a joke, if anything) at the possible incident of an Orb Weaver being present. However, that changed over time with education - I've learned the importance of arachnids (and general entomology too, found a pretty neat kick for that.) I started this hobby last year, with one tarantula going from two to three, hopefully more whenever I move given space concerns. I love them like any other pet, though there isn't that level of emotional bonding - more just a responsibility and desire to follow their tiny lives. I'm now completely cool with spiders, and most bugs, overall. I wouldn't sleep with them in a bed or whatever, but tarantulas pose zero fear for me. Intimidation from faster and deadlier species aside, I'll repeat the notion that my view has completely shifted away from fear and instead into unquenchable interest.
Hey

Been a huge help thankyou, It'll be nice to add something positive into the writing, especially how understanding their behaviour can suddenly change perceptions. Really interesting stuff.
Right? Their biology is pretty kickass! All different in certain ways but share the basic anatomy over millions of years. Haha please don't sleep with them, one squish and either a nasty bite or it dies. Not cool haha. What three do you own? Got a favorite? (Although we're not meant to).

When I was a kid in the 80s there was a pharmacy in town. The pharmacist's son raised tarantulas (e.g. for educational purposes). Individual tarantulas were always displayed in the pharmacy's window. I pressed my nose flat on the windshield every day. Since then the fascination has never passed...
A big raid then took place in the early 90s. All animals and presentation papers disappeared. It was rumored that the pharmaceutical industry was behind it. It was never adequately cleared up.
Afternoon

Holy crap, that' some really cool stuff! In a pharmacies window?! I suppose now there might be a health and safety risk with them in the window nowadays. Super jealous you learnt about them from a younger age. How many do you own now?

Last edited by a moderator:

LadyVonChimp

Arachnosquire
Hi

Jumping spiders seem a great way to go first, being small and all, can get some well nice coloured ones too. May take that same route.

Aaah nice, that's crazy to actually think you were that petrified of them and how far learning about spiders has changed your perception. Owning 15 eight legged friends from not being able to be in the same room as them is incredible. You got names for them all? How did the pick up go yesterday? Old world are more likely to bite (more venomous) and new world can throw their hairs right? No idea if i've got that right. A mixture of docile and crazy too haha?
Jumpers are great! I love my two. Yeah, kinda crazy haha! I have indeed named them all. The first one I named "Nope" 😂 but last night's pick up is now called "Elvira". It went well thank you, just need to change her enclosure that she came in as it isn't suitable for her at all so will be doing that later on today. OW tend to be a lot faster, more defensive and have more medically significant venom than NW. NW have urticating hairs that they kick for defense, but also have venom. However this tends to be a little milder than the last. Not all NW have these hairs, though.

Of course there are exceptions to the rule behaviour wise, they're all individual.
Also, OW come from the Eastern hemisphere (Africa, Asia etc), where as NW come from the Western (North and South Americas).

Bertie86

Arachnopeon
I always played with insects growing up. Mostly grasshoppers, but also spiders and lots of others. My mother is extremely arachnophobic, however, and always has been. I have numerous stories of her reacting in extreme and irrational ways to the presence of the smallest, most harmless spiders. I suppose I was curious about why she was so afraid of spiders. In my early twenties, I picked up a couple tarantulas because they were the biggest, scariest spiders. I thought if anything deserved that kind of a reaction it would be them. Didn't take long before I realized they're beautiful, and not any scarier than the spiders I was fascinated by as a child.

There have been other threads about this in the past. Might help your research if you search this forum for "How did you get into keeping tarantulas" or something similar.
Hey

Right?! When our parents seem afraid of something, it's almost like they try to pass that down to us. Sadly i've got housemates that are pretty much the same, I'll have to sneak a one in me thinks. Sounds a great way to go, would you say the curiosity is still there? How long you had them both for? Still got them?
Aaaah thankyou, I will definitely look those other threads up, this seems perfect as it sums up how important education is to change perceptions and how well that works depending on our own experiences. Thanks again.

vicareux

A. geniculata worship cult member
I was always fascinated by inverts ever since i known myself. As a person who's life is based around astronomy,i always have to wonder about aliens. And invertebrates are the closest thing we have to appearences we relate to aliens. (You always see in clickbaity news articles - "A LIVING ALIEN ON EARTH! HAVE A LOOK AT THE HORSESHOE CRAB" and whatnot).

I was a young lad when i found out praying mantis hobby is actually a thing. I've been catching Mantis Religiosa nymphs,raising them to adulthood and then releasing them so i can get a taste of what keeping a mantis would be like. In the meanwhile i have read forums and seeing how people are buying so many beautiful mantis species left and right,while a mantis market didn't exist here in Serbia.
(and sadly still doesn't. If anyone from Serbia is reading this and willing to go through a headache to import mantises,i will be your most loyal customer ;))
However only a few years ago i've found that there's a thing that can satisfy my thirst for keeping many different inverts from around the world - a cheap and diverse tarantula market readily available here.
It all started from a staple, T. Albo. I was just fascinated that the origins of the species is from a whole 'nother continent,and i was so happy that i'm keeping a invert that's not native to my country. It felt quite exotic.

A year in,owning 5 species so far. It's super hard to hold back and buy more :D

bobbibink

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Really it was Charlotte’s Web..... 1973 animation. I fell in love with her and was inconsolable when she died. I’ve been a spider fan ever since.

Last edited:

Bertie86

Arachnopeon
Jumpers are great! I love my two. Yeah, kinda crazy haha! I have indeed named them all. The first one I named "Nope" 😂 but last night's pick up is now called "Elvira". It went well thank you, just need to change her enclosure that she came in as it isn't suitable for her at all so will be doing that later on today. OW tend to be a lot faster, more defensive and have more medically significant venom than NW. NW have urticating hairs that they kick for defense, but also have venom. However this tends to be a little milder than the last. Not all NW have these hairs, though.

Of course there are exceptions to the rule behaviour wise, they're all individual.
Also, OW come from the Eastern hemisphere (Africa, Asia etc), where as NW come from the Western (North and South Americas).
Can you handle jumpers? I take it, it's not wise to? Haa! Nooope is pretty much my favorite saying, so that is a great name haha and Elvira is a sweet name, suits a T! So looking forward to placing her in the new home?! Can understand the addiction to getting more, especially as they don't take a lot of feeding or space really.
A lot faster, hmmm maybe I'll pass on a NW haha, definitely will give the jumpers a go first then by the sounds of it. Also this forum is amazing for information.

LadyVonChimp

Arachnosquire
Can you handle jumpers? I take it, it's not wise to? Haa! Nooope is pretty much my favorite saying, so that is a great name haha and Elvira is a sweet name, suits a T! So looking forward to placing her in the new home?! Can understand the addiction to getting more, especially as they don't take a lot of feeding or space really.
A lot faster, hmmm maybe I'll pass on a NW haha, definitely will give the jumpers a go first then by the sounds of it. Also this forum is amazing for information.
I see people handling them, but I personally don't with any of my spiders. Yes, it's easy to get a huge collection in a relatively short space of time with this hobby, just need to always remember that they grow up and will need much more space eventually! haha.
Oh no, NW is where you want to start, it's OW that tend to be faster (Apart from some NW sp. like Psalmopoeus)

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
Hi

That's really cool, I do wish I had the same kinda friends to learn from like that when I was younger. My housemates want zero spiders in the house, may have to sneak one in, by then it would be too late to get rid of it. So major kudos taking the plunge.
Do you handle yours? They are so vulnerable, watching youtube videos you begin to realise how cute these predators are.
It was really nice to have experts around to mentor me through cringey early keeping mistakes, especially when they were also my friends. It also helps that I lived by myself and I had no one to answer to. Now I moved in with my partner and I keep about 1/3 of my spiders in my room. I don't recommend sneaking one into your home, but perhaps if your roomies saw that many enclosures come with a hasp that you can lock, they might feel more comfortable letting you bring one into the house.

And nope, no handling. Not intentionally. I've had some walk on me unexpectedly, but I put them back. The spiders get nothing from it, and it just puts them at risk. You never know when they're going to bolt and end up on your back or in your hair or fall on the ground and explode :(

Seemannnni

Arachnoknight
Hey

Been a huge help thankyou, It'll be nice to add something positive into the writing, especially how understanding their behaviour can suddenly change perceptions. Really interesting stuff.
Right? Their biology is pretty kickass! All different in certain ways but share the basic anatomy over millions of years. Haha please don't sleep with them, one squish and either a nasty bite or it dies. Not cool haha. What three do you own? Got a favorite? (Although we're not meant to).
I have an Aphonopelma Seemanni (thus the username :) ), a Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens, and a recently acquired Avicularia Juruensis sling. Personal favorite is probably the GBB (incredibly active, vivid coloration, and webs a TON,) or my A. Seemanni (probably sentimental value, but I never see the dude.)

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
That's more or less what happened at our house... Then everyone in the family wanted one. Dad got 5 lol
It took my wife about 5 years until she wanted one. We have around 27 now, my daughter is 17 and is known/respected in the invert community of the SW US. We typically are working most of the shows.

scooter1685

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
would you say the curiosity is still there? How long you had them both for? Still got them?
I would absolutely say that I'm still curious. I have no idea why she's so afraid of spiders. Where she lives, the only reportedly dangerous spider is the black widow. Also, to the best of my knowledge, she has never been bitten by a spider in her life.

I don't have those two tarantulas any more, unfortunately. The Caribena versicolor died after 8 months or so, eaten by pinhead crickets during a molt. Apparently one of the feeder crickets managed to lay eggs before being eaten. I sold the Acanthoscurria geniculata after about a year. My wife and I were moving, and the owner of the apartment was vehemently against the idea of large pet spiders.

Today, I have 35 pet spiders. They're all tarantulas, with the sole exception of my Linothele megatheloides. While I admit that feeding time can be a bit thrilling, I still have no idea why my mother is so terrified of spiders. There's been some progress though; when shown a picture of a T. seladonia, she said that it was beautiful. A couple decades ago she would definitely have thrown my phone instead :lol:

GhostOoOoOo

Arachnopeon
I've been fascinated with arachnids since I was a kid. I bought a D. diadema whip spider and they offered me a free T. Albopilosus sling. I did my research and figured why not get a tarantula too? So far I'm very glad I did :)

liquidfluidity

Arachnoknight
Always been an animal person. It's kind of freakish how I get along with any animal I meet. My friends and wife even say it's really weird. As a kid growing up, I was always into insects and loved to feed the spiders around the outside of the house. I was digging in the dirt next to the steps and was about two feet down when I felt a sharp pain in my hand. I thought I had gotten cut. Nope. Trapdoor spider had got me. I got to go to the hospital for that one.... Only bite I've ever had - knock on wood. That was in the early 70s.

Once I was almost 20, spider keeping was starting to take off so I gave it a shot. To this day, I'm still a bit nerved up when closely interacting. It's getting better now and I love all of my little guys n gals.

The flip side is the fascination of their evolution, watching them web n build their homes, and ultimately, providing them with their own bioactive ecosystem. Not in a God like way. More like parenting 😊

Kamikaze

@baboonmanila
Old Timer
Always wanted to own one since I saw Home Alone when I was a kid. Unfortunately, tarantulas are not available in my part of the world during that time. I saw several tarantulas being sold in Century City mall in Los Angeles when I went for a visit in 1993, where I saw a PZB being offered for sale. I joined the hobby in mid 2008, stopped in 2011 and resumed this 2021.