What kind of water do you use?

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
And you're patronizing and not funny.
Are you not cute and funny?

And you're patronizing and not funny.
I love how these things work.
I simply state that I drink distilled water, sometimes.
You imply that I am a naive simpleton who has been persuaded into doing some health cleanse.
I compliment you to diffuse your misplaced anger.
And I'm the jerk.
However you like it, I guess.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
I used tap water for years, but recently ive decided to use the filtered water from the fridge. The T's are fine with tap water, but the filtered water doesnt leave as many drip marks on the enclosure walls

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Distilled. It doesn't leave unsightly mineral deposits on my acrylic enclosures the way hard water does.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I live in Arizona and have city water. It doesn't taste the best (for drinking water I use the filter on the fridge) and has a high amount of minerals in it. So, my question is, when you fill your tarantulas' water dishes, do you use city/tap water? Filtered water? Distilled or reverse-osmosis water? Is there a difference? Does it matter? Apologies if this question has already been asked. Thanks!
Tap- some swear by filtering etc, no one has scientific data

Personally I give my Ts the very best. Their water comes from virgins who hand cut pieces of ice of the Himalayas blessed by the Dali Lama himself.

Last edited:

Dead Blue Deer

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the input, everyone. I think my main concern wasn't so much the chlorine — because that dissipates quite quickly, as several folks mentioned — so much as the calcium carbonate that our city water here in Tucson is full of. It builds up in their water dishes which has made me wonder if there is any build-up inside the tarantulas themselves. For now I think I'll stick to giving them filtered water from the fridge; that's what I give our cats, dog, and snake, simply on the basis that it tastes better!

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
Because distilled water does not contain any minerals - it pulls those minerals from the body of the organism drinking it. I would never drink it myself, or give it to any of my animals. The risk of it doing harm negates any benefits.
That’s simply wrong. Read about osmosis and cell physiology
While it doesn’t provide minerals/electrolytes it absolutely doesn’t strip your body of them.

TayznessTarantulas

Arachnopeon
My tap has loads of chlorine so i keep a jug of filtered tap with Reptisafe added for the exotics. It's easier to use that for the spiders too since I keep it right next to the shelves.
Us and the rats drink filtered tap.

fatalgecko

Arachnopeon
Tap- some swear by filtering etc, no one has scientific data

Personally I give my Ts the very best. Their water comes from virgins who hand cut pieces of ice of the Himalayas blessed by the Dali Lama himself.
I have a priest bless mine. Only Holy water for my Ts

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
I live in Arizona and have city water. It doesn't taste the best (for drinking water I use the filter on the fridge) and has a high amount of minerals in it. So, my question is, when you fill your tarantulas' water dishes, do you use city/tap water? Filtered water? Distilled or reverse-osmosis water? Is there a difference? Does it matter? Apologies if this question has already been asked. Thanks!
I use filtered watered, micron filter followed by a carbon filter, and I also use a countertop Burkey System for water as well. I'm not entirely sure if there is a significant difference, but I want to emsure that my Tarantulas are safe and receiving the best care that I can provide.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
I posted this question before and didn't really get much response.

I'm curious if anyone has a water softener in their home, and the effects of using that water on inverts. Its obviously been changed (sodium added, other minerals taken out).

The nice thing about using soft water is you don't get hard water stains in an enclosure, but I'm not sure if it would have the same problems as distilled water over time.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Better than being flat wrong and ignorant to basic science
I expected an actual retort of some kind but I guess when you don’t have a leg to stand on. “You’re cute” will suffice
What a joke
Aren't you cute?
I just thought that I would give you a compliment to diffuse your misplaced anger.

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
I posted this question before and didn't really get much response.

I'm curious if anyone has a water softener in their home, and the effects of using that water on inverts. Its obviously been changed (sodium added, other minerals taken out).

The nice thing about using soft water is you don't get hard water stains in an enclosure, but I'm not sure if it would have the same problems as distilled water over time.
I'd be hesitant to use soft water, mostly because there just isn't a lot of information available. Not only do you lose minerals that are necessary for most living things, but there's added sodium, which isn't enough to cause problems for human adults with healthy kidneys, but who knows how it might affect inverts?