What kind of T should I purchase? (first time purchasing)

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Space was a huge factor for me which is why 99% of my collection are arboreals. Taller and narrower enclosures which use less substraight which in turn reduces weight and I was able to build wall mounted shelves and pack in 14 with zero impact to my room floor space.

SethM16

Arachnopeon
Space was a huge factor for me which is why 99% of my collection are arboreals. Taller and narrower enclosures which use less substraight which in turn reduces weight and I was able to build wall mounted shelves and pack in 14 with zero impact to my room floor space.
that’s sweet man i’d love to reach that point some day. any beginner arboreals u suggest? something that’s out in the open a lot?

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Avicularia, there’s quite a few species that you can look up. The metallic sheen and fluffy little guys are stunners. Carabina Versicolor is a staple. Y Divesipes but they are on the more defensive side, but I haven’t experienced it yet. All my T’s are sling or juvenile. The goal is to have my wall look like a busted bag of skittles with All the colors.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I appreciate the advice seriously! ill try that but i've been trying to look for some reputable creators on youtube such as tarantula collective and the dark den. I'm trying figure out the AB search rn!
Gennerally stick to AB for info, go to youtube for entertainment.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Avicularia avicularia are great first arboreals.
They are usually just hanging out.
Some people have trouble with them but this is almost always due to bad husbandry and trying to make a rain forest in a box. Ventilation is key. With just a little extra care they are very easy.
And very available/affordable

Craig73

Arachnoangel
One of these days I’m going to find some space (and blessing) to add terrestrials other than my gbb. They didn’t appeal to me at first, but they are growing on me.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm really excited to purchase my first T! I know I'm going to purchase it at some online breeder/dealer. But with the hundreds of different species, I feel a little overwhelmed trying to choose just one. Here are some of the characteristics I'm trying to hit:

- I'd like it to be a decent size. (somewhere around 5-inch leg span or larger)
- new world since I'm a beginner
- pretty docile.
- Colorful or aesthetically pleasing
- something that doesn't need a massive enclosure
- THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT QUALITY: I'd like for it to spend the majority of its time out in the open. I'm not interested in a spider that will spend 90% of its life buried in a hole

I understand how specific these qualifications are and I appreciate any advice at all. I'd be willing to give up any certain quality if it means I can have the last one. If you could also elaborate on why you think I should choose a certain breed, that'd be fantastic. Also if there are any particular breeders or websites you recommend, please let me know.

Thanks so much!
No one can tell you what T to buy because your criteria are unrealistic, and your visual criteria of beauty is SUBJECTIVE- pretty to you- ugly to me.

Your concept of wanting to see your T 90% of the time unhidden is completely unrealistic.
It goes against their instincts to be out in the open for most species.

This is less so in captivity but quite frankly no one can recommend a species that will be out 90% of the time - behavior varies by specimen, just like people. You could very likely buy a T and come back here complaining you don’t see it move or never see it based on what I read. This happens all the time here.

Also handling is bad for a T, they can and DO die as a result of handling.

If you can accept that you may rarely see your T, and shouldn’t handle it maybe you will enjoy these marvelous animals. For now, I don’t think so, but what I think is not reality in that maybe you will be fine with a 50% pet hole, but from your stated criteria you won’t be.

As someone who owns Avics for many years, these are not good first Ts, also they tend to web enough that you may not see them well or at all.

SethM16

Arachnopeon
No one can tell you what T to buy because your criteria are unrealistic, and your visual criteria of beauty is SUBJECTIVE- pretty to you- ugly to me.

Your concept of wanting to see your T 90% of the time unhidden is completely unrealistic.
It goes against their instincts to be out in the open for most species.

This is less so in captivity but quite frankly no one can recommend a species that will be out 90% of the time - behavior varies by specimen, just like people. You could very likely buy a T and come back here complaining you don’t see it move or never see it based on what I read. This happens all the time here.

Also handling is bad for a T, they can and DO die as a result of handling.

If you can accept that you may rarely see your T, and shouldn’t handle it maybe you will enjoy these marvelous animals. For now, I don’t think so, but what I think is not reality in that maybe you will be fine with a 50% pet hole, but from your stated criteria you won’t be.

As someone who owns Avics for many years, these are not good first Ts, also they tend to web enough that you may not see them well or at all.
thanks for the input but I already stated that I knew my expectations were unrealistic. I'm just looking for recommendations from people who are informed on the topic. appreciate it though.

Kitara

Arachnodemon

OK I know I keep posting this video, but it's my favorite. :rofl:

Thanks for the help man and ill defo consider that. It's just difficult to put my trust in some person on a forum since i have such little experience in the hobby.
I 100% felt the same. I've only been in the hobby 1.5 years and I've purchased all of mine online and at expos. Recently I wanted a certain one and decided to message one of the sellers in the classifieds that had good reviews. We spoke via private message a number of times and I started to feel more comfortable about it. When I went to send the money via Paypal I started to get suspicious again, but went ahead and did it. This guy texted and messaged me through the whole process and was just SO great to deal with. I can't say I wouldn't still be hesitant the next time, but it definitely made me more confident about using the classifieds. A LOT of people here use them so the reviews are pretty substantial for some of them. A lot of them are breeders/vendors and not just some random person like on Craigslist.

SethM16

Arachnopeon

OK I know I keep posting this video, but it's my favorite. :rofl:
Wow thank you! ill be sure to give that a watch

I 100% felt the same. I've only been in the hobby 1.5 years and I've purchased all of mine online and at expos. Recently I wanted a certain one and decided to message one of the sellers in the classifieds that had good reviews. We spoke via private message a number of times and I started to feel more comfortable about it. When I went to send the money via Paypal I started to get suspicious again, but went ahead and did it. This guy texted and messaged me through the whole process and was just SO great to deal with. I can't say I wouldn't still be hesitant the next time, but it definitely made me more confident about using the classifieds. A LOT of people here use them so the reviews are pretty substantial for some of them. A lot of them are breeders/vendors and not just some random person like on Craigslist.
good to know man thank you for that. I'll definitely have to check it out. I just worry that they ship the T correctly and with priority mail so that I don't end up with a dead spider on my doorstep.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
thanks for the input but I already stated that I knew my expectations were unrealistic. I'm just looking for recommendations from people who are informed on the topic. appreciate it though.
Just going by what I read, G pulchripes - can’t go wrong there. There are 3 other species that are better but you’ll almost never come across them.

SethM16

Arachnopeon
Tom Moran (Tom's Big Spiders) is about the only active tarantula YouTuber worth watching tbh.
Yup I've been watching his channel as well

Just going by what I read, G pulchripes - can’t go wrong there. There are 3 other species that are better but you’ll almost never come across them.
Thank you, G pulchripes is actually number one on my list so far that might just be the species I end up buying. Why are the other 3 species in the genus better?

Ic4ru577

Arachnoknight
Check out tom moran youtube videos. He has plenty husbandry videos. Try to get larger slings and above. Dont start with anything under 1.5” or 4 cm diagonal leg span. If you can afford it, get a female juve. T. Albopilosus, g. Rosea/pulchripes, brachypelma ones, aphonopelma are recommended. Get a terrestrial instead of arboreal just because arboreals are faster. If you want arboreal like, the gbb or c. Cyaneopubescens is a good one to start. Good luck and welcome to the hobby. Once you decide what to get, you can post the pic of your enclosure to get input from the grandmasters here. Rosea and pulchripes are basically similar, only the coloration.

SethM16

Arachnopeon
Check out tom moran youtube videos. He has plenty husbandry videos. Try to get larger slings and above. Dont start with anything under 1.5” or 4 cm diagonal leg span. If you can afford it, get a female juve. T. Albopilosus, g. Rosea/pulchripes, brachypelma ones, aphonopelma are recommended. Get a terrestrial instead of arboreal just because arboreals are faster. If you want arboreal like, the gbb or c. Cyaneopubescens is a good one to start. Good luck and welcome to the hobby. Once you decide what to get, you can post the pic of your enclosure to get input from the grandmasters here. Rosea and pulchripes are basically similar, only the coloration.
Thank You for the input! I've decided I'm going to look for a G. Pulchripes, G. Pulchra, or B. Hamorii/Smithi. Everyone also recommends the T. Albopilosus which simply just doesn't really appeal to me. I'm looking for an adult to buy online but adults are so expensive. I can't find any juveniles either. I'm starting to think I might just have to settle for the T. Albopilosus because there are so many of them and they're super cheap as adults. I'll keep looking for adults of the other species but we'll see. I really don't want to have to raise a sling for my introductory T.

Ic4ru577

Arachnoknight
You can start with Albo and get slings for the rest. Have a feel with adult first before doing slings.

SethM16

Arachnopeon
You can start with Albo and get slings for the rest. Have a feel with adult first before doing slings.
Yeah man i’m definitely trying to start with an adult but i’ve narrowed down my choices to G. Pulchripes, G. Pulchra, or B. Hamorii/Smithi

Seekeroftruth

Arachnopeon
I don't have many terrestrial and a lot of my T's are slings, but it's been stated before that terrestrials tend to stay out in the open more than arboreals and fossorials. In general.

Kitara

Arachnodemon
Thank You for the input! I've decided I'm going to look for a G. Pulchra,...
I don't know what your price range is, but the seller that I just I just bought a G. pulchra from (here in the classifieds) has a 4" confirmed female for $425. He also has slings. I don't remember exactly how much, but they are usually around $85/90 for a sling. The one I got is about 1.25". SO cute. :happy: If you're interested I'll PM you the name.