What kind of spider is this?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
A male wolf spider (family Lycosidae), probably Tigrosa georgicola or Hogna. If he wandered inside, you can just usher him back outside in a catch cup.

The only medically significant spiders in South Carolina are widows (family Theridiidae, genus Latrodectus) and brown recluses (Loxosceles reclusa).

Brown recluses are normally only found in the western tip of the state, so you probably don't have to worry about them in Ridgeway. :)

Leila

Arachnobaron
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but that lovely spider looks like a Lycosidae (Wolf Spider.) :happy:

USMuscle9403

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My sister lives in Ridgeway :embarrassed: I'm a little further north.

Definitely a mature male Lycosid. Venomous? Yes. A danger to you? None, whatsoever.

USMuscle9403

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A male wolf spider (family Lycosidae), probably Tigrosa georgicola or Hogna. If he wandered inside, you can just usher him back outside in a catch cup.

The only medically significant spiders in South Carolina are widows (family Theridiidae, genus Latrodectus) and brown recluses (Loxosceles reclusa).

Brown recluses are normally only found in the western tip of the state, so you probably don't have to worry about them in Ridgeway. :)
Yes, and if I recall, only one recluse has been documented in SC and it, as you say, was from the far northwestern part of the state.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Tigrosa are easily identified. Note the thin medial stripe between the Median (big) eyes

TheSpiderChick

Arachnopeon
Thank you :) I'll let him stay so he can hunt the roach I saw earlier.
If he is wandering, and therefore probably sexually mature, he won't be much help in ridding you of any roaches. Males usually stop eating once they hit sexual maturity. The only thing on their minds is gettin' with the ladies. ;)