What kind of spider is this????

Krystina661

Arachnopeon
I saw this spider outside of my house on the front porch. It was big and scared me!:eek: *LOL* We live in New Jersey if that helps.

Thanks in Advance :p

~ Kristina ~

Krystina661

Arachnopeon

The one below looked like the same spider but it was a different one. I don't know if they are the same kind.

mr.wilderness

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
it looks like some kind of Aranea species of orb weaving garden spider, maybe a. diadema, but I'm not sure. We have them around here a lot too ;)

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
We get those (or at least a very similar sp.) all over the place here in Maryland. They're pretty scary looking but harmless. I like catching moths and throwing them into the web to watch them feed. They get really huge if you feed 'em enough.

Krystina661

Arachnopeon
An orb weaving spider? As long as it is harmless I don't mind it hanging around. It was pretty scary looking though.:)

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Funny how often the really dangerous spiders don't look it but the scary looking ones are harmless. Take brown recluses, they look like a tiny little wisp of nothing but their bite is awful. The biggest danger i know of from these orb weavers is the potential for a heart attack when you walk into a web at night and get a spider the size of a quarter full in the face. Then it runs down the back of your shirt and you start dancing around like a maniac until the neighbors call the men in white coats...

Keep it around and feed it moths. If you have kids it can be a neat learning experience for them watching the spider grow.

Galadriel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Looks like the barn spiders we have here in GA. Very cool.