What kind of Species of this one ?

Dreadz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It looks like a Vitalius vellutinus, I just got a sling of this species and was doing some research on what an adult looks like and im pretty sure that's what you have there.

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
If you are going to quote me... Please, dont just pick out what you want. Here is my original post... <etc>
I only quoted what's relevant to my point, which was you agreed that it's not A. brocklehursti, and said A. seemanni, both based partially on the stripes, while if you know what A. seemanni looks like, you can see that in terms of stripes on the patellas, it's more similar to A. brocklehursti than to the spider in the OP, i.e. both A. brocklehursti and A. seemanni have distinct, prominent, striking longitudinal stripes on the patellas, whereas the unknown spider has more pale and less outstanding stripes.
But, I dont really know enough about them to say that is what it is for sure. The stripes on the knees, and the brown-ish color says seemani to me.
And yes, I also read this. But then if you don't know enough of about a certain species to be able to identify it correctly, is it worth posting the guess? I'm not trying to pick on you, this is the general trend in threads like this: people throw in names (sometimes random and totally off base) based on (most of the time) absolutely nothing.

Also "it looks just like a picture I saw of an adult Xus ylonius, it must be that!" is no way to identify a spider: http://www.washington.edu/burkemuseum/spidermyth/myths/looksjustlike.html

Krayzie

Arachnopeon
still looking for what is her real genus ? :p

oh yah she liks hiding in her hiding cave, she dig most of subsrate inside.

does she burrower typical ?

i never seen her outiside and she's very very docile and slow.

Aschamne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have both a Lasiodorides striatus and a Vitalius vellutinus, and it definitely looks more like the striatus. Look at the shape of the carapace and then look at the fovea. The T in question has a more rounded carapace like a striatus, where the vellutinus is more oblong shaped. Also if you look at the fovea it seems deeper than normal, which the striatus as well as Lasiodorides polycuspulatus also have. Then there is the statement by the OP that it is docile and I can tell you that both of my vellutinus are very quick to throw a threat display, though they are reluctant to act on it.

Art

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
still looking for what is her real genus ? :p
Unfortunately I don't have sufficient knowledge about enough of the theraphosine genera to be able to make an accurate guess. You could try asking Stuart Longhorn, but based on those pictures alone, it's a stretch.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
This thread is a great example of why picture ID'ing dosen't always work . I just don't get where most of the guesses come from in this thread.:?

Someone even guessed Cyrtopholis in the picute ID section

Since we are all guessing , my guess is Nhandu or Acanthoscurria

Later, Tom

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This thread is a great example of why picture ID'ing dosen't always work . I just don't get where most of the guesses come from in this thread.:?

Someone even guessed Cyrtopholis in the picute ID section

Since we are all guessing , my guess is Nhandu or Acanthoscurria

Later, Tom
Tom,
my first though was Nhandu is well

sjl197

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Its a difficult one indeed, i think some pictures after the next moult might be quite interesting for all with bright new colours. Photograph whole spider from the top downwards please.

Well, i would like gladly rule out any phase/variant of central american Aphonopelma. Certainly not the 'sp guatemala', those are much lighter built, and yes the leg mark 'swoosh' seems quite a reliable feature, along with the dreaded mention of tan spinnerets, light underside etx. I will gladly rule out A.seemanni too... hmmm, one thing i would highlight from your photos is the carapace shape is wrong for those Aphonopelma, yours is rather round while these Aphs have a much more elliptical shaped carapace. The whole spider is just much too bulky also.

Actually im favouring one of the large south american genera, and i dont think L.parahybana is an impossible guess, though it certainly not any other known Lasiodora. I dont want to rule out L.parahybana entirely. To me it doesnt seem right for Lasiodorides, though indeed i wouldnt like to yet rule out L.striatus entirely either (but be careful, some of those might see can be Acanthoscurria juruenicola or similar). Ok then, Nhandu, possibly, but im not in favour of that as i cant see any distinctive hairs on the carapace that are characteristic of the genus (not of N.chromatus though). There was a link to a pic on swift website that i suspect is Vitalius, i will agree with what Aschamne said, and also add that Vitalius are really not so big nor bulky. None of those fit this for me, but also just my opinon, though i have captive specimens of all these. But, I've certainly never seen a Cyrthopholis like this either, wow, would like to see that link.

Well, so im going to stick to my first thought and also suggest Acanthoscurria, and further to say something in the chacoana -group. Possibly even A.chacoana. They show quite amazing colour and marking variability, to the extreme with the former A.altmanni, a species i suspect maybe resurected in future if there is a useful type somewhere. Take a look also at A.juruenicola. Surprised no one said A.chacoana specifically yet, as lots of people must know them. Im not saying its A.chacoana though, im saying i favour some sort of Acanthoscurria close to those, if not actually those. (chacoana-group i.e. A.chacoana, A.juruenicola, A.paulensis= atrox,A.geniculata, and our beloved pet broklehursti, which has already been mentioned). The leg banding is much too light for the last two species here, i agree with zoltan not to favour those, but also not a million miles away!.

But, im going to say that the later front on only pics have me rather unsure again, so as i said its a difficult one!

More pictures after it moults please.
And especially.....
A close up and clear picture of spermathecae inside the moult please.
(This beast must surely be a girl.)

I think its perhaps far too much to ask to photograph the retrolateral face of the palpal trochanter!, but this feature really should be looked to make a taxonomic judgement! I could however be easy and useful to take a picture of the retrolateral (back facing) side of the femur on legIV of the moult.

Anyway, good guesses everyone, but i hope in future for more people to ask for spermathecae pics especially, and other key morphological characters in future identification threads!!

Ok... so i would like to pass the torch onto Pato_Chacoana now, who might say something more radical!
Best wishes all.
stuart

Last edited:

Krayzie

Arachnopeon
Its a difficult one indeed, i think some pictures after the next moult might be quite interesting for all with bright new colours. Photograph whole spider from the top downwards please.

Well, i would like gladly rule out any phase/variant of central american Aphonopelma. Certainly not the 'sp guatemala', those are much lighter built, and yes the leg mark 'swoosh' seems quite a reliable feature, along with the dreaded mention of tan spinnerets, light underside etx. I will gladly rule out A.seemanni too... hmmm, one thing i would highlight from your photos is the carapace shape is wrong for those Aphonopelma, yours is rather round while these Aphs have a much more elliptical shaped carapace. The whole spider is just much too bulky also.

Actually im favouring one of the large south american genera, and i dont think L.parahybana is an impossible guess, though it certainly not any other known Lasiodora. I dont want to rule out L.parahybana entirely. To me it doesnt seem right for Lasiodorides, though indeed i wouldnt like to yet rule out L.striatus entirely either (but be careful, some of those might see can be Acanthoscurria juruenicola or similar). Ok then, Nhandu, possibly, but im not in favour of that as i cant see any distinctive hairs on the carapace that are characteristic of the genus (not of N.chromatus though). There was a link to a pic on swift website that i suspect is Vitalius, i will agree with what Aschamne said, and also add that Vitalius are really not so big nor bulky. None of those fit this for me, but also just my opinon, though i have captive specimens of all these. But, I've certainly never seen a Cyrthopholis like this either, wow, would like to see that link.

Well, so im going to stick to my first thought and also suggest Acanthoscurria, and further to say something in the chacoana -group. Possibly even A.chacoana. They show quite amazing colour and marking variability, to the extreme with the former A.altmanni, a species i suspect maybe resurected in future if there is a useful type somewhere. Take a look also at A.juruenicola. Surprised no one said A.chacoana specifically yet, as lots of people must know them. Im not saying its A.chacoana though, im saying i favour some sort of Acanthoscurria close to those, if not actually those. (chacoana-group i.e. A.chacoana, A.juruenicola, A.paulensis= atrox,A.geniculata, and our beloved pet broklehursti, which has already been mentioned). The leg banding is much too light for the last two species here, i agree with zoltan not to favour those, but also not a million miles away!.

But, im going to say that the later front on only pics have me rather unsure again, so as i said its a difficult one!

More pictures after it moults please.
And especially.....
A close up and clear picture of spermathecae inside the moult please.
(This beast must surely be a girl.)

I think its perhaps far too much to ask to photograph the retrolateral face of the palpal trochanter!, but this feature really should be looked to make a taxonomic judgement! I could however be easy and useful to take a picture of the retrolateral (back facing) side of the femur on legIV of the moult.

Anyway, good guesses everyone, but i hope in future for more people to ask for spermathecae pics especially, and other key morphological characters in future identification threads!!

Ok... so i would like to pass the torch onto Pato_Chacoana now, who might say something more radical!
Best wishes all.
stuart
thanks for the info

i will surely post more pictures later after she moult.

but im not sure when she would be moult again.

oh yeah i can add some more info about her attitude, she likes digging the substrate inside her hiding pot.

during daytime she always hide inside the pot, but she's quiet active during nighttime.

she has been fasting like a month now, i have been trying to give her some meals such meal worm, super worm, crickets and large amount of larva ant. but she still no has appetite.

pato_chacoana

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey all! I just found this thread after Stuart pointed out for me in a PM.

Haven't had the time to read the entire thread, so I'm sorry if I say something somebody else pointed out before...

Well. To me, I agree with Stuart and Tom...I think (judging for pics) that this is a Acanthoscurria species. The only other genus that I will not rule out is Nhandu. The others such as Lasiodora, Lasiodorides, Grammostola(???), are ruled out to me. As Stuart said, spermathecae shape and plumose setae on trochanter will give away if it's indeed an Acanthoscurria. To me this is very close looking as A. sternalis more than A. chacoana, but I admit that both can be similar looking sometimes, especially in certain molt stage. After a fresh molt, the red setae on abdomen gives away a chacoana and the chocolate brown an sternalis. Also, a ventral shot would help to determine if it's sternalis by taking a closer look to the sternum shape.

I will dig out pics of both sternalis and chacoana later. It's true, as Stuart said, that these sp. can have variants ...I'm only more familiar with the ones found in Argentina.

Cheers
Pato