What kind of scorpion is this?

H. cyaneus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i am assuming it is a Centruroides nigrimanus, isn't it?
Hey,

Nope, they are bit different looking.

I'm pretty sure, bases on the pictues, that it isn't a vittatus. Again, the photos aren't the best and my computer likes to change how pictures look a bit..

Mike

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well i can't ee the picures but I know that if it's a Cetruroides species and it's stripped almost like a c.vitt. It most likely C.suffusus. Their named so because they resemble C.vitt but theres stripes are reveresed. I can;t see the pic because of the computer I'm using. But if I'm right can I have it shipped. I'll pay.

Mikeymike

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If nobody comes and gets this today, I'm going to put a $20 price tag on it to weed out the people that are just pming me left and right to get this thing.

If anyone in the area is serious about this, come and get it!

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
returns should be directed to: :D

i want it but im not on canada too.

:D

Raan_Jodus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
where in Oakville are you MikeyMike?
and do you still have it?

I'm quite certain its not C. Vittatus. I didn't even think they went down into Mexico, I don't know where Mango's grown down there, but it doesnt seem like the kind of area a dry species like Vittatus would like to be. Thats only an assumption. It certainly is interesting whatever you have there.

I wish I could find cool bugs when I worked in the grocery store :(

Canfire

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
they can sure hurt ya. C. vitattus hurts most people pretty good but i dont know of anyone that had any medically significant reactions. I dont knwo about other species of centruroides tho
Let me just fix some of your grammar.

They can sure hurt you. C. vitattus hurts most people pretty good but I don't know of anyone that has had any medically significant reactions. I don't know about other species of centruroides though.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Going by that link it looks like C. suffusis
I tought the same thing. That is my dream scorpion :(. You can use the search function and find some post I made about it. :wall: Thats not fair... I've been trying to get this species I was little.

Raan_Jodus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
From what little I've found about C. Suffus, its quite toxic, comes from the Chiuahan desert in the state of Durango. That image fits the description of appearing like C. Vittatus, as it says it can.

I'm guessing you would keep it similar to C. Vittatus, hot, but not very moist. some rocks and old wood for it to hide under. Dry peat and sand mix might work best?

I guess the only real mystery is how this lil guy made it into a crate of tropical fruits lol. Its a shame it wasnt a female, could have been the easiest way to introduce C. Suffus into the hobby.

This makes me want to go to the local grocery stores and ask them to call me if they find any bugs in their produce :p

Lucky find again. And I would definately suggest not picking it up anymore lol.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
From what little I've found about C. Suffus, its quite toxic, comes from the Chiuahan desert in the state of Durango. That image fits the description of appearing like C. Vittatus, as it says it can.

I'm guessing you would keep it similar to C. Vittatus, hot, but not very moist. some rocks and old wood for it to hide under. Dry peat and sand mix might work best?

I guess the only real mystery is how this lil guy made it into a crate of tropical fruits lol. Its a shame it wasnt a female, could have been the easiest way to introduce C. Suffus into the hobby.

This makes me want to go to the local grocery stores and ask them to call me if they find any bugs in their produce :p

Lucky find again. And I would definately suggest not picking it up anymore lol.
Well I've been trying not to make a big deal about it because it's not a for sure thing but my family is from durango and I'm trying to get my brother to get some from me when he goes in a few weeks. But I'm having trouble going there myself with this new job.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
LOL, nah i was goona have him ship it to me from there. He's been around scorpions because of me but is still scared so he's planing to ask my cousin. Hopefully if all goes good I should have some within the next 2 months.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
HAHA, hate to act like I'm 12 but what is a "medically significant reaction"?

H. cyaneus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Probably meant an allegric reaction, or go into shock. Can't spell it, but I'm sure someone else can.

MIke

Raan_Jodus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
medically significant means that you'll experience systematic effects from the venom. Such as breathing problems, nerve effects, things OTHER than pain.

1-2 scale venom usually only comes with immediate pain. 3-5 can cause things blood pressure, breathing problems, jeez I can't even think of the list of stuff really. But basically they are kinda things that you might want to head to a hospital for. You dont want to get stung by things with medically significant venom.

Allergic reactions, in theory can come from any venom. You can experience a reaction from Emperor venom, its just the chemical make up the venom. Bee venom is similar, it doesnt hurt that much, but it can kill someone who is allergic.

Mikeymike

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So is this thing worth selling/keeping? My original intentions were to give it away if it's common, but if people are making a big deal about it I might keep it or sell it {D

Just to laugh at all the people at work that wanted to stomp it :D I'm going to get some sand now and do a peat moss/sand mixture so he has somewhere to chill instead of a paper towel and an EB Games reciept for a house :rolleyes:

Will post more pics/information when I find out what to do with him.

Thus far he seems pretty darn timid, walks around but no aggressive behaviour whatsoever :?