What kind of scorpion is this

Archer33389

Arachnopeon
It might be. I have had an Arizona Hairy and a Deathstalker and they both look similar in photos. Having trouble finding information online about how to definitely tell them apart. Maybe someone else on here knows for certain how to tell from a photo.

GordoOldman

Arachnoknight
Hadrurus probably arizonensis
Looks female, hard to say if gravid...no size reference...but possible.

@archer...? I am going to try to type this so as not to come across wrong. There is no comparison when looking at a Leiurus vs. a Hadrurus, so honestly it is a bit concerning when I read that telling them apart for you is difficult and that you have owned them.

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
Looks like a Hadrurus, but the H arizonensis and H spadix have a darker backside.
That lighter colored body and that shade around the median eyes leads me to believe you have a Hadrurus pallidus.
Definitely not L quinquestriatus, those have a darker 5th metasomal segment.

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
I agree with the others on here, looks to be a species of Hadrurus. And I agree with Lubed Tweezer, it looks like H. pallidus (blonde desert hairy)

Archer33389

Arachnopeon
GordoOldman, no worries. I know it's concerning. I actually was thinking that when I was typing that last night. It has been a long time since I had the Desert Hairy and I currently have the Leiurus. I read about the darker metasomal segment last night when I was looking around online but I also read that Leiurus does not always have that so that can be a tough thing to use but that was just a website I found online so that could be completely wrong. I believe the Desert Hairy's are usually bigger too if my memory serves correctly but it is tough to make a good size comparison for me from the photos

pearl21affinity

Arachnopeon
Looks like a Hadrurus, but the H arizonensis and H spadix have a darker backside.
That lighter colored body and that shade around the median eyes leads me to believe you have a Hadrurus pallidus.
yes, that is the conclusion I came to also thank you. Thank you for the second opinion 👍🏼

GordoOldman

Arachnoknight
US coins in cm
Penny 1.9 cm
Nickel 2.12 cm
Dime 1.79 cm
Quarter 2.42 cm

Also of note on Leiurus quinquestriatus 5th metasomal segment color...sometimes they are very light ...depends on locality, regardless of colour, the chelae and telson have completely different shape, and lack the hirsute appearances in Hadrurus...

Attachments

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
Thank you for the sizes.
the chelae and telson have completely different shape, and lack the hirsute appearances in Hadrurus...
Agree on the chelae and telson.
I happen to own both species and always notice that my H arizonensis has bulkier legs compared to my LQ's.
The LQ's are more 'spiney' and good for sprints while the heavier legs of the H arizonensis are common on proper burrowing scorpions.
But for me, one look at the tail is usually enough to tell these apart.