what kind of scorpion is this!!??

ser00

Arachnopeon
scorpionc.jpg

anyone know what type of scorpion this is (if it even IS a scorpion!!) - saw it in morocco :eek:

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This is not a scorpion but a Solifugid, also called camel spider, wind scorpion or sun spider. These are the ADHD arthropods of desert systems.
They have very large chelicerae (fangs) that are used to catch prey. They seem to have 10 legs, but they walk on 8, the first pair of legs are used as antennae and have a sensory function.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Also they are not venomous and, contrary to popular myth, do not feed on you in your sleep or leap 6' in the air to bite your face. They do run fast though.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I've moved this to the Other Arachnids forum as it is not, in fact, a scorpion.

Cheers,
Dave

asher

Arachnosquire
omg...are you serious!!?? :eek:
We don't get them in England. They're natives of the Middle East, some live in deserts in America because of American soldiers bringing them back as pets from Iraq.

Jaymz Bedell

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
We don't get them in England. They're natives of the Middle East, some live in deserts in America because of American soldiers bringing them back as pets from Iraq.
Solfugids are found naturally in many places, not just the middle east. as for America, we have quite a few native species and they have nothing at all to do with anyone bringing them back from anywhere. there have been a few species imported into America from abroad for the exotic invert hobby, quite a few from africa. a few American species have been collected for the exotic invert hobby as well.

asher

Arachnosquire
Solfugids are found naturally in many places, not just the middle east. as for America, we have quite a few native species and they have nothing at all to do with anyone bringing them back from anywhere. there have been a few species imported into America from abroad for the exotic invert hobby, quite a few from africa. a few American species have been collected for the exotic invert hobby as well.
Oh >.<

I was repeating something I'd read in an article somewhere :8o My bad.

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I agree with him, I've seen some when ever I go hiking :)