What kind of pokie am I?

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
I wouldnt say its a hybrid.. I wouldnt even try taking a guess at what it is..

The pictures are not clear enough for anyone to even offer an educated guess..

Why not:? P. regalis is the only sp. with the cream colored ventral abdominal band. How is it not an educated guess as this spider clearly shows a cream colored abdominal band? No reason to think its a hybrid or any other sp. of Poecilotheria other than P. regalis.

Later, Tom

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Why not:? P. regalis is the only sp. with the cream colored ventral abdominal band. How is it not an educated guess as this spider clearly shows a cream colored abdominal band? No reason to think its a hybrid or any other sp. of Poecilotheria other than P. regalis.

Later, Tom
I agree with the band part, but how about the reddish palps and coloration on the top....I have never seen a P. regalis MM with that color...but that could also be lighting, flash ect.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
I agree with the band part, but how about the reddish palps and coloration on the top....I have never seen a P. regalis MM with that color...but that could also be lighting, flash ect.
Hi Rob, Poecilotheria are identified by there ventral markings and patterns, not buy the color of some hairs. In general color usally has very little to do with ID'ing Theraphosid spiders.

Later, Tom

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Later, Tom
OK.. The cream colored ventral abdominal band says regalis..
But as stated.. A view from the top of the spider does not appear to be a regalis..

I am not saying the OP does not have a regalis.. I am not saying the OP has a hybrid..

What I am saying.. The OP "needs" to offer pictures that are clear.. That way he can have a better chance at know what he really has.. Be it a regalis or a hybrid..

I personally would not be comfortable know it could be "this" or "that".. I would want to know what it really is..

I know there are some very knowledgeable members here that can ID the spider.. But based on the pictures offered.. No one can say what it is for certain.. Just my opinion though.. *Shrug*

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hi Rob, Poecilotheria are identified by there ventral markings and patterns, not buy the color of some hairs. In general color usally has very little to do with ID'ing Theraphosid spiders.

Later, Tom
The ventral I agree was 100% regalis (Band) but if only saying if.....it were a hybrid would the ventral be regalis (band) or Ornata no band? Not saying it is a hybrid.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
The ventral I agree was 100% regalis (Band) but if only saying if.....it were a hybrid would the ventral be regalis (band) or Ornata no band? Not saying it is a hybrid.
I understand what your saying Rob, but from what you can see from the pics so far is the leg patterns of leg I and II match P regalis as well. Femur of leg III (witch is very different in P. regalis from P. ornata) point to regalis as well. How many things, need to make it a regalis:? Perhaps a better pic ventral of leg IV?

I think to much credit is given to hybrid Poecilotheria in the hobby. I know they exsist, but my personal opinion is there as not as many as people give credit to. :cool:

Later, Tom

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I understand what your saying Rob, but from what you can see from the pics so far is the leg patterns of leg I and II match P regalis as well. Femur of leg III (witch is very different in P. regalis from P. ornata) point to regalis as well. How many things, need to make it a regalis:? Perhaps a better pic ventral of leg IV?

I think to much credit is given to hybrid Poecilotheria in the hobby. I know they exsist, but my personal opinion is there as not as many as people give credit to. :cool:

Later, Tom
Okay...that all makes sense and I agree that there probably aren't as many hybrids in the hobby as people fear. I didn't look closely at the leg patterns but now that you mentioned that, and I looked, I see what you are saying.

blooms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So are we sure it's a regalis then? To be sure I will upload some clearer pics tonight. A few of them have clear shots of leg 4.

blooms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here are pictures I took using an iphone and natural sunlight. I hope these can provide the definitive evidence.

Last edited:

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
See that cream band at the base of the abdomen? That indicates that it is P.regalis. Poecilotheria regalis is the only Poecilotheria with that band.
In adult females yes.... but juveniles of P. striata CAN have a cream band. I even had some adult males that had a vague cream band when they matured.

blooms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So is this a regalis? regalis/ornata hybrid? or a striata then?