What kind of monitor should I get?

monitormonster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My favorite guy in the world, my male Savannah monitor, died last weekend....

In about a month or so (whenever I get over it a little more), I plan on getting another monitor lizard of some kind....not a Sav, though....

Does anyone have any recommendations? In the past, I have thought about blackthroat monitors, tegus, or red ackies. The cage I have is 4' X 4'

tacomadiver

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've personally always liked Varanus jobiensis (peach-throats).
Chris

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
im partial to the big LCD monitors personally ...
or a savannah lol

rollinkansas

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Do you mind having a monitor that is more for a display than handling? If so , a lot of the dwarf monitors are great display animals.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I like Argus (Varanus panoptes horni) as well as the Kimberly Rock monitor

mrbonzai211

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would get another Savannah, I love those guys. However, they are all good except water monitors. They get far too big, require large bodies of water that are impractical for the average person, and are mean little buggers.

Avic_Addict

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I personally have a real soft spot for Black & White Argentine Tegus. Like all monitors they can be snappy as babies but with regular careful handling they grow into spectacular animals with excellent personalities. They may not always be as docile as a sav, and will basically ignore you or try to get away from being handled if they are having an 'off' day, but to me thats part of the appeal - I like the fact that they have their own minds and can decide for themselves if they feel like coming for a cuddle - it makes it more rewarding when they do come and climb on you for attention.

A word of warning though - being primarily carnivores their needs for dietary supplements are often overlooked. It is important to provide appropriate calcium etc as MBD progresses rapidly in this species and can leave the animal with chronic 'shakes' even when the condition has been treated. Also, keep an eye on Tegu's waistline - these chaps are notorious for getting overweight through being fed too much rich food!

lychas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
being an aussie i'm only gonna suggest aussie species, if you can get your hands on them go with sandfire ackies, short-tailed pygmys(brevicauda), gilleni, or varanus gouldii, i doubt they would be easy to find but i also recomend black-headed monitors (tristis) or spotted tree monitors (scalaris)

rollinkansas

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
being an aussie i'm only gonna suggest aussie species, if you can get your hands on them go with sandfire ackies, short-tailed pygmys(brevicauda), gilleni, or varanus gouldii, i doubt they would be easy to find but i also recomend black-headed monitors (tristis) or spotted tree monitors (scalaris)
Brevicauda are nice, but not around in the US, although Im sure there are a couple in Europe, although I dont think theyd be advertised.

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What about the roughnecks? I have heard they are fairly cuddly when handled routinely. Like you If I were to get a monitor I would want a "cuddly" one. Good luck in your quest. If you want a more of a display animal get the green tree monitor, though hard to care for and nervous they make awesome displays, if you can devote the time and effort for them.

monitormonster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, after lookin around, I decided on some kind of Tegu- Either a red, blue, or B & W Argentine one.

I think it would be really hard to get another Sav....my big ol buddy cant be replaced

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ohh get the Black and White Argentine one. THose are soo beautiful. If I had the money to pay for the vet bills, if anything went wrong, I would so get one.

Avic_Addict

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Excellent choice - you will find they make really rewarding pets when kept correctly!

Please keep us updated and post some pics when you have aquired your new friend.

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
Unless your willing to dedicate a room to a nile then Ild go with a smaller sp. . Sav's are pretty small in comparison to a mature adult nile or water monitor. Check out treemonitors.com for some good info on sp. and care, you'll definatley find alot of nice sp. you didnt know existed that dont eat a couple chickens a week.

monitormonster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah, it kinda sucks that there arent really any good places around Atlanta to buy herps (or inverts, for that matter). I would much rather go pick one out than order one off of the internet and pay $40 for shipping....

Does anyone have any recommended Monitor/Tegu dealers in the U.S.?