What kind is it ?

jeff1962

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I bought my second T. yesterday at the pet store in in Alaska.When I asked them what it was they told me that it was a Striped knee tarantula.It is a light brown color all over and has white rings around its joints and some light vertical striping.Now I am seeing why everyone uses that latin names in this hobby.Does anyone know what this could be ? I browsed some web sights but could not find anything.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Picture says a 1000 words, and would help us out a lot more then words alone.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I bought my second T. yesterday at the pet store in in Alaska.When I asked them what it was they told me that it was a Striped knee tarantula.It is a light brown color all over and has white rings around its joints and some light vertical striping.Now I am seeing why everyone uses that latin names in this hobby.Does anyone know what this could be ? I browsed some web sights but could not find anything.
Without a pic this may be hard. But does it have light brown spinerettes and a light brown belly. If it does, its a Costa Rican Zebra/Stripe Knee AKA an Aphonopelma seemani.

jeff1962

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Why yes it does Hedorah !Its just lghter colored than the pics I have seen of costa rican Zebras on the web.Are there variations? Its small mayebe 2.5 inches long, are the juvies lighter collored? I have it in a 10 gallon tank with 2 inches of bead a beast and a log hide+ plus a dish of water is this sufficent housing?

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Why yes it does Hedorah !Its just lghter colored than the pics I have seen of costa rican Zebras on the web.Are there variations? Its small mayebe 2.5 inches long, are the juvies lighter collored? I have it in a 10 gallon tank with 2 inches of bead a beast and a log hide+ plus a dish of water is this sufficent housing?
There are a few color variations of them. It also depends on how lonmg ago the last molt was. Mine is very dark black/blue when it molts, but lightens to a chestnut color as it gets farther from the molt. I have not had a specimen as young as yours, but some T's have more muted colors as slings.

If you can get a picture we can confirm it, but sounds like you do have an A. seemani.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I agree, given the species that are normally found in a pet store there is a very good chance that's what you have.

jeff1962

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I will bring my camera to work tommorow,(thats were I keep my T's) and see if I can get a decent pic.