What is your Feeding Schedule? (slings)

KenTheOtherBugGuy

Arachnosquire
Hi guys,

My feeding schedule is every Friday with misting and Tuesdays just misting. But my slings sometimes doesn't eat the food I offer them and they are veeery skittish. At the moment I feed them half dead mealworm or cricket. I have a Chilean Rose about 1" and a Salmon Pink Birdeater at 0.75"... I need some tips on how to feed them easier/better; I know they're slings but sometimes it's annoying for them not eating and I always replace the food.

Thanks,
KenTheOtherBugGuy

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I do it on Monday and Thursday evenings. I freeze small crickets in a jar to kill them, and then thaw them out for ~90 minutes before leaving them in the sling enclosures. 24 hours later, I pull out whatever is left of the crickets to prevent mold. There will always be some wasted crickets...just part of the territory with slings IMO. I slow down to one feeding a week once they hit the 2 inch mark.

I overflow the water dish a little bit every night, so there is always the option of hanging out on moist or dry substrate.

KenTheOtherBugGuy

Arachnosquire
I do it on Monday and Thursday evenings. I freeze small crickets in a jar to kill them, and then thaw them out for ~90 minutes before leaving them in the sling enclosures. 24 hours later, I pull out whatever is left of the crickets to prevent mold. There will always be some wasted crickets...just part of the territory with slings IMO.

I overflow the water dish a little bit every night, so there is always the option of hanging out on moist or dry substrate.
I would definently try that freezing method.. Mhh, should I feed them twice a week also? Or once a week is fine?

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I would definently try that freezing method.. Mhh, should I feed them twice a week also? Or once a week is fine?
Most people here feed slings 2 or 3 times a week. It accelerates their growth through the more delicate stage of being a sling with no real downside. They put all of that food towards a new molt rapidly. Once they become juveniles at around 2 inches, you'll want to pull back to once a week to prevent obesity and the risks that come with that. You can't really overfeed a sling, though. It will stop eating when it is full.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I offer food every other day to my slings, diced up mealworms mostly, with S.lateralis nymphs for variety and to give them a chance to hunt.
With really small slings you can't always tell if they've eaten since they don't require much per feeding. Which is why I offer multiple times a week.
Taking out uneaten prey is part of the hobby ..especially since you have a G.porteri/rosea ('chilean rose'). ;)

KenTheOtherBugGuy

Arachnosquire
Most people here feed slings 2 or 3 times a week. It accelerates their growth through the more delicate stage of being a sling with no real downside. They put all of that food towards a new molt rapidly. Once they become juveniles at around 2 inches, you'll want to pull back to once a week to prevent obesity and the risks that come with that. You can't really overfeed a sling, though. It will stop eating when it is full.
Huh, I didn't about slings should be eating multiple times a week. I just keep hear on YouTube that you should feed them 1-2 a week but once a week is fine too... But for slings, I guess it isn't. Thank you!

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Huh, I didn't about slings should be eating multiple times a week. I just keep hear on YouTube that you should feed them 1-2 a week but once a week is fine too... But for slings, I guess it isn't. Thank you!
It doesn't hurt to feed slings once a week, but it makes them stay slings longer, which most people consider a pain in the ass. :)

KenTheOtherBugGuy

Arachnosquire
I offer food every other day to my slings, diced up mealworms mostly, with S.lateralis nymphs for variety and to give them a chance to hunt.
With really small slings you can't always tell if they've eaten since they don't require much per feeding. Which is why I offer multiple times a week.
Taking out uneaten prey is part of the hobby ..especially since you have a G.porteri/rosea ('chilean rose'). ;)
Yeah.. My Chilean Rose isn't always interested in what I offer..her? haha also..How will you dice up a meal worm?

This is her close to the food but isn't interested...:/
image.jpg

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
I just feed every other day to every few days. For me, I have Pampho slings, which eat almost every day when I remember. My others though, I usually wait a few days. I just like to get them molting and out of that fragile sling stage ;) Your sling looks great, nice and plump. So long as you make sure it isn't going to molt, you should be fine with feeding it quite a bit.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Yeah.. My Chilean Rose isn't always interested in what I offer..her? haha also..How will you dice up a meal worm?

This is her close to the food but isn't interested...:/
View attachment 235530
Yeah, G.rosea/porteri aren't known to be good eaters, going long periods of time without feeding.
I cut a mealworm in pieces with small scissors, holding it with tweezers.

KenTheOtherBugGuy

Arachnosquire
I just feed every other day to every few days. For me, I have Pampho slings, which eat almost every day when I remember. My others though, I usually wait a few days. I just like to get them molting and out of that fragile sling stage ;) Your sling looks great, nice and plump. So long as you make sure it isn't going to molt, you should be fine with feeding it quite a bit.
Thanks! Yeah, it molted two weeks ago. Though, I will try to feed it every other days. Also, any tip on opening the enclosure? Because every time I open it, they get skittish, they run away. Maybe that makes them not in the mood to eat..? Maybe?

KenTheOtherBugGuy

Arachnosquire
Yeah, G.rosea/porteri aren't known to be good eaters, going long periods of time without feeding.
I cut a mealworm in pieces with small scissors, holding it with tweezers.
Yeah, last time, this gal made me worried that she didn't eat for a month.. And one time, I left a decapitated roach, she ate it. I was jumping with joy when I found the remaining of the roach which is..just the wings.. haha.

Oh, wouldn't the guts and juice will come out of that mealworm...? :/??

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Yeah, last time, this gal made me worried that she didn't eat for a month.. And one time, I left a decapitated roach, she ate it. I was jumping with joy when I found the remaining of the roach which is..just the wings.. haha.

Oh, wouldn't the guts and juice will come out of that mealworm...? :/??
Yup...if you squeeze too hard when cutting it is going to be messy :D.
I hold it by the head and then gently cut it. Practice makes perfect ;)

KenTheOtherBugGuy

Arachnosquire
Yup...if you squeeze too hard when cutting it is going to be messy :D.
I hold it by the head and then gently cut it. Practice makes perfect ;)
Okay, holding it by the head makes sense since they're..hard..headed.., Another question..sss. How long should the cutting be and will it make a mess on the substrate since the guts and juiiice may or may not ruin the substrate...? Did that make sense?>.< Thank you!

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I don't have a set schedule, but I feed slings about twice a week depending on the size of the meal and how they look.

Similarly, I don't moisten the substrate on a set schedule. I check on it daily and add a bit of water when it looks dry.

My slings already take live prey, so I select an appropriately sized mealworm from my little colony and crush the head. For pre-killed prey, you can leave it in for a while, and the slings will usually scavenge for it when they feel safe. Remove any uneaten prey the next day.

TomKemp

Arachnoknight
I offer my slings pre killed smaller crickets or tiny dubia once or twice a week depending who the "takers" are. If the slings are super tiny, I'll offer them pieces of a tiny cricket or dubia (One small insect can sometimes do many feedings). Tiny slings are scavengers and will survive better than you would expect.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Okay, holding it by the head makes sense since they're..hard..headed.., Another question..sss. How long should the cutting be and will it make a mess on the substrate since the guts and juiiice may or may not ruin the substrate...? Did that make sense?>.< Thank you!
How big the piece of mealie is depends on the sling size. About the size of the abdomen is usually okay.
Yes, it can make a mess on the substrate, spot cleaning is the way to go :)

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Thanks! Yeah, it molted two weeks ago. Though, I will try to feed it every other days. Also, any tip on opening the enclosure? Because every time I open it, they get skittish, they run away. Maybe that makes them not in the mood to eat..? Maybe?
Depends on the enclosure. For me, I have most of my slings in long boxes. Usually, if a container has locking clasps to hold down the top, I will leave it unlocked. That way, when I go in to feed, I can just lift up the top and feed. At sling stage, most T's aren't powerful enough to lift the top anyway :D Other than that, just getting an easy to open enclosure is the easiest way