Favorite Tarantulas?

magouilles

Arachnoknight
C.Versicolor I love how curious, kind and gentle mine is! plus gorgeous colors I can't get enough of them
I also like Nhandus for their skittishness I think it's so funny

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
C.Versicolor I love how curious, kind and gentle mine is! plus gorgeous colors I can't get enough of them
I also like Nhandus for their skittishness I think it's so funny
My Nhandu is so grumpy and defensive that it's comical at times. Very fluffy and a few gorgeous species in the genus.

Cemykay

Arachnosquire
My Nhandu is so grumpy and defensive that it's comical at times. Very fluffy and a few gorgeous species in the genus.
My Nhandu tripepii is an absolute sweetheart. Never flicked hairs or was defensive. My Nhandu chromatus is a b**** though :D.

Westicles

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
P. cambridgei, if I had to choose one. Large, beautiful, bold personality, and a huge appetite.
I'm actually looking into a P. cambridgei for my first aboreal. I have years of experience with new world terrestrials. I'm ready to try my hand at something different. Of course I've done my research and care isn't an issue. But, I've read so many different opinions on them in general. Just curious about your honest opinion on them.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I'm actually looking into a P. cambridgei for my first aboreal. I have years of experience with new world terrestrials. I'm ready to try my hand at something different. Of course I've done my research and care isn't an issue. But, I've read so many different opinions on them in general. Just curious about your honest opinion on them.
In my opinion they're like everything great about tarantulas all rolled into one. And they're a great display species. Always out on the prowl, searching for a meal. While their coloration may not be extremely bright and flashy, I think that their subtle beauty is even more appealing. This is my adult female, Crawlspace. IMG_20211002_233922421~2.jpg

Westicles

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Of course I know behavior depends on the individual animal, but generally speaking what are your thoughts on behavior, temperament, etc?

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Of course I know behavior depends on the individual animal, but generally speaking what are your thoughts on behavior, temperament, etc?
Extremely food motivated. They're also very defensive and have a "cantankerous" temperament. I have no doubt that Crawlspace would bite me if she felt cornered or confused my fingers for food, so I always keep my fingers out of her enclosure. They're very interesting to watch. Mine is always visible and active and night. She never refuses food until a few days before a molt.

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
Birupes Simoroxigorum for aesthetic.

Theraphosa Apophysis for sentimentality. My father, in his ailing health, wants one but isn’t medically equipped to care for it properly. So, after memorizing Tom Moran’s video on Apophysis care, I’m buying one. It’s not even mine yet and I’m irrationally attached to it.

I have a N. Chromatus sling coming tomorrow. I’m looking forward to watching it grow into a grumpy old T.
It will match my grouchy old lady personality wonderfully.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
My favourite species that I keep is Nhandu chromatus. I love their leg markings. As far as individuals my favourite is my B. hamorii. If I somehow had to get rid of my collection except one, I'd keep her.

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
My favourite species that I keep is Nhandu chromatus. I love their leg markings. As far as individuals my favourite is my B. hamorii. If I somehow had to get rid of my collection except one, I'd keep her.
I just received a 1/8th inch N. Chromatus sling today and I'm sitting here looking at it like "wth do i do with something the size of a fruit fly" :rofl: Excited to watch it grow though!

Last edited by a moderator:

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
I just received a 1/8th inch N. Chromatus sling today and I'm sitting here looking at it like "wth do i do with something the size of a fruit fly" :rofl: Excited to watch it grow though!
Won't be too small for long, as far and I understand it they grow relatively quickly compared to other NWs. Have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:

Eggiess

Arachnopeon
Curious to see this, out of your personal collection - what's your favorite species you've cared for and why?

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Gonna toss it up between C. marshalli and A. geniculata. I see them constantly and they both have great feeding responses. Very predictable but still fun.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Curious to see this, out of your personal collection - what's your favorite species you've cared for and why?
Good one.

My all time favorite is Grammostola iheringi because it gets big, is regal appearing and crazy feeding response. It’s also one I’m extremely cautious around because they are super fast and I jump scare easy.

If I had to say favorite to care for it‘s hands down Avicularia M6 (aka A. metallica) and Avicularia kwitara. My Avicularia in general to be honest.

The two I called out are extremely laid back. Makes my job easier when I’m cleaning the enclosures cause they poop all over the walls. With a top loading enclosure there are times my hands have to be inside the enclosure to get the hard stuff. I would not do this with any other T’s. The metallic sheen is freaking amazing.

Edit: Before I get dragged on it, my hands ‘do not’ ever have to be in an enclosure. I’m just not smart enough to order something like long q-tip things like they use at dr offices. I don’t recommend it regardless of how docile a T seems. End of PSA.

Last edited:

bobbibink

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A. geniculata—- Bold and beautiful— hardly ever passes on a meal— great character. Awesome tarantulas. 6831F897-65E7-4694-B844-333D62E7773B.jpeg

Last edited:

YungRasputin

Arachnobaron
C. marshalli - i love mine so so so much - they’re an absolute delight and the novelty of having a horned spider from Africa just sets it apart from the rest - what else could ever compare? delightfully weird sweethearts

like the entire genus of Ceratogryus is nothing but bangers: Marshalli, Darlingi, Sanderi, Attonitifer, even Meridionalis - all top shelf