What is your criteria for a beginner, intermediate, and advanced Tarantula keeper?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
The same criteria that suggest, to a young man or someone that only recently learned to drive a car, to avoid powerful monsters like Lamborghini, Ferrari and Maserati. To not be tempted by powerful as well, but not so fast and cool (eh eh Italy stronk :angelic:) cars like those, like BMW, Audi, Mercedes, but to remain in the "normal" cars league for a while.

Step by step, common sense and such are the key for achieve that Goddam "walking in the sunshine" glory, and the Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH -- Peace Be Upon Her -- as well.

LuiziBee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think it depends on the individual. For example, some people will brag they've been keeping for 8 years. Or since the 80s and stuff like that. Then you meet them, their enclosures are set up completely wrong, they only know common names, etc. Cool. You've kept forever. You have a large collection. But what do you actually know? You haven't researched and it shows. Or those people who are brand new to the hobby, have more money than they know what to do with, and buy a large collection of rare tarantulas that they'll end up killing. I guess what would really be the thing for an experienced keeper, in my opinion, is someone who actually took the time to research all they could, spoke to other hobbyists for advice and extra tid bits, and has had decent actual experience with different tarantulas for at least up to a year, etc. I know people who have been keeping for a year who are more experienced and knowledgeable than I was in my first three of my now 9 years. Just because I've kept 9 years, doesn't mean I knew what I was doing the first few. I thought the care sheets online and the pet shop people were telling me right. Obviously not the case and from that, I've grown. I'd never call myself an expert. Once things start getting really scientific, my head starts spinning. Like I said, it's all kind of up to the individual and how they went about (or didn't) learning.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
The same criteria that suggest, to a young man or someone that only recently learned to drive a car, to avoid powerful monsters like Lamborghini, Ferrari and Maserati. To not be tempted by powerful as well, but not so fast and cool (eh eh Italy stronk :angelic:) cars like those, like BMW, Audi, Mercedes, but to remain in the "normal" cars league for a while.

Step by step, common sense and such are the key for achieve that Goddam "walking in the sunshine" glory, and the Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH -- Peace Be Upon Her -- as well.
This seems like a great example to me. You can study all the technical, historical, and owner information related to proper care and what works best. That will take you a ways. But it doesn't get you experienced when real events happen. That requires the real world. It seems like some short term memory loss also occurs when you start to panic. I feel like I have read a lot about T's, but my experience is still way short.

Oh Crap! That Tapi in my Left Garage! That Psalms in my right garage. Where is my cup?

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
In my opinion, it's someone who does research and knows their own limitations that sets beginner from experience. Someone who can say "maybe I won't get that cool looking OBT as my 3rd T (aka not me ;)) . The people who are really willing to devote time and effort into the research and care of their animals can be considered somewhat of an "expert" to me :D

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
beginner- someone who just started and has only kept a few tarantulas for a year.
intermediate- some one with 5+ different genera and has kept them for over a year.
advanced- some one with 10+ different genera and has been keeping for over 3 years.
master- Poec54

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
This seems like a great example to me. You can study all the technical, historical, and owner information related to proper care and what works best. That will take you a ways. But it doesn't get you experienced when real events happen. That requires the real world. It seems like some short term memory loss also occurs when you start to panic. I feel like I have read a lot about T's, but my experience is still way short.

Oh Crap! That Tapi in my Left Garage! That Psalms in my right garage. Where is my cup?
You nailed it, Jeff23 :-s

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
master- Poec54
No. There aren't masters in this passion called Aracnofilia (which is completely different from the, involving a mere pretty technical level, English term Arachnology).

Poec54 is a very experienced keeper, and a very important resource of/for this site/community. A man that deserves nothing but respect.

But no one, so far, written the word "end" of Arachnids world, and, in particular, Theraphosidae. All of us, no matter the years of experience under his/her belt, will discover something new, day by day. Always learning something useful, no matter.

We shared the same T's, more or less. Today. Or during the years. Talking to each other, we ended with very different experience, sharing the same T's. Other times, with similar ones. Again. This is one of the greatest lessons of this "world", something that no mans money can buy: nothing is written in stone. Nothing, here.

You have always to remain calm, respectful, with your "know how" and a wise, no jokes, mentality. Here, and in real life as well.

Not so many "hobby" (such a bad term, IMO) can offer you such life lessons. No wonder isn't considered the way deserved.

P.S

I know you were joking, just for saying ah ah.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
No. There aren't masters in this passion called Aracnofilia (which is completely different from the, involving a mere pretty technical level, English term Arachnology).

Poec54 is a very experienced keeper, and a very important resource of/for this site/community. A man that deserves nothing but respect.
just kidding around. haha i'd consider myself a master after 40 years.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Probably a stupid thread. Just wanted your thoughts.
All three are subjective terms. It's like asking someone how much money does one need to be wealthy, let alone defining what being wealthy means.

awiec

Arachnoprince
beginner- someone who just started and has only kept a few tarantulas for a year.
intermediate- some one with 5+ different genera and has kept them for over a year.
advanced- some one with 10+ different genera and has been keeping for over 3 years.
master- Poec54
I'm advanced? I still quake in my boots to even the mere thought of moving my OW aboreals, I'll move them, just shaking the entire time.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I'm advanced? I still quake in my boots to even the mere thought of moving my OW arboreals, I'll move them, just shaking the entire time.
ha thats good, getting complacent and lazy when rehousing is when bites happen.

Last edited:

LuiziBee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Lol agreed. Even when I can feel myself getting lazy, when dealing with an OW, I make sure to remind myself the potential they have and will grab an extra catch cup and go back to every precaution necessary and try to keep in that habit and stay as hands off as absolutely possible.

woodermeloon

Arachnopeon
I've been keeping for 9 years but would not consider myself an expert T keeper, as I havnt bred yet. IMO breeding suggests that your animals are happy and healthy, you've done your research, and must be pretty invested in the hobby. I have a sub pair of Avic avics that I plan to use to jump into the venture!

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I've been keeping for 9 years but would not consider myself an expert T keeper, as I havnt bred yet. IMO breeding suggests that your animals are happy and healthy, you've done your research, and must be pretty invested in the hobby. I have a sub pair of Avic avics that I plan to use to jump into the venture!
key word: keeper.
being a expert T keeper is much different than a expert T breeder. i consider myself an advanced keeper, but not even a beginner when it comes to breeding.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
ha thats good, getting relaxed and lazy when rehousing is when bites happen.
Definitely agree with the lazy part, but relaxed is a bit different. Sure, its hard to be truly "relaxed" when rehousing a fast OW tarantula, but you need to be able to keep a level head and use slow but steady movements to deal with one that bolts (especially ONTO you).

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Definitely agree with the lazy part, but relaxed is a bit different. Sure, its hard to be truly "relaxed" when rehousing a fast OW tarantula, but you need to be able to keep a level head and use slow but steady movements to deal with one that bolts (especially ONTO you).
yeah, complacent was the word i was thinking of. :banghead: