What is your attraction to Fossorial Spiders?

Vandle

Arachnopeon
My biggest atraction is that some speicies makes very intresting burrows with turret like openings. If you add dry leaf they often incorperate those in the burrows. I like when they sits in the burrow opening and waits for prey. In tanks for fossorial speicies i often design the tanks little more naturalistic with natural soil mixed with clay, leaflitters and nice looking roots. In those terrariums i often used plants. When i did not see the spiders i saw the plants, and the nice set ups
I’m interested in a fossorial species and would love to see some pics of your set ups and which species inhabits each one.

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
I’m interested in a fossorial species and would love to see some pics of your set ups and which species inhabits each one.
Your request shall be granted :D

This is my enclosure for my E. murinus (Skeleton Tarantula), but I set up all my fossorials the EXACT same way, so it’d be redundant to post the enclosures for everyone....
1581289357581.jpeg

And now, the fossorial species I’m currently keeping....

Ephebopus murinus (Skeleton Tarantula):
1581277957860.jpeg

1581278076394.jpeg

Cyriopagopus lividus (Cobalt Blue Tarantula):
1581278179264.jpeg

1581278295879.jpeg

1581278347604.jpeg

Cyriopagopus albostriatus (Thai Zebra Tarantula):
1581278436739.jpeg

1581278552078.jpeg

Cyriopagopus minax (Thailand Black Tarantula):
1581278721959.jpeg

1581278760761.jpeg

Last edited:

aarachnid

Arachnoknight
I don't mind not seeing a spider all the time, as I have space for multiple tarantulas, so the fact that a fossorial would only occasionally be visible doesn't bother me. I love the look and behavior of NW fossorials. If there is only species I am including in my collection once I feel ready for its speed and supposed defensiveness (I'm hoping a proper setup will help with that) it has to be an E murinus. Hands down one of the most attractive species. I don't have unlimited space to devote to spiders so I have to be deliberate when I decide what I get, but if I ever broke into OWs (not as appealing to me as NWs, I'd take a boring old T albo over any OW), it would be a fossorial one. I love the smiley face a lot of OBT abdomens have, and I think the Ceratogyrus genus is super cute.

Vandle

Arachnopeon
How
Your request shall be granted :D

This is my enclosure for my E. murinus (Skeleton Tarantula), but I set up all my fossorials the EXACT same way, so it’d be redundant to post the enclosures for everyone....
View attachment 333530

And now, the fossorial species I’m currently keeping....

Ephebopus murinus (Skeleton Tarantula):
View attachment 333507

View attachment 333509

Cyriopagopus lividus (Cobalt Blue Tarantula):
View attachment 333510

View attachment 333511

View attachment 333512

Cyriopagopus albostriatus (Thai Zebra Tarantula):
View attachment 333513

View attachment 333515

Cyriopagopus minax (Thailand Black Tarantula):
View attachment 333516

View attachment 333517
How active is he C. Lividus?

Minty

@londontarantulas
There is a definite segment here that loves, or at least, appreciates Fossorials in their collection. What is the attraction?
They remind me of myself, they just want the world to go away, and occasionally ambush some food. :cool:

Actually, to expand on that a little, the first ever spiders I really loved were trap door spiders. I thought they were the coolest thing ever when I first learned about them as a kid. So I suppose it's natural that I'd like tarantulas that burrow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jess S

Arachnobaron
I won't be surprised to see another spike in cases soon.
That's already been predicted at the NHS's Covid meetings, I was told back in April by a nurse in the know. Reason given for the 2nd surge? Relaxation of lockdown. Then a 3rd surge expected around November time.
People think it's going away, it's not.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
That's already been predicted at the NHS's Covid meetings, I was told back in April by a nurse in the know. Reason given for the 2nd surge? Relaxation of lockdown. Then a 3rd surge expected around November time.
We wont get a 3rd wave if we raid area 51 again for a cure in September

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Why would anyone think it’s going away? H1N1 has not gone away. Oh, the hype...until the next one. Hey! Wait a second! I forgot, this is ARACHNOBoards.

Minty

@londontarantulas
I see your in Wales. How busy are the streets around there now?

In London it's as if things are almost completely back to how they were, before lock down.

Jess S

Arachnobaron
I see your in Wales. How busy are the streets around there now?

In London it's as if things are almost completely back to how they were, before lock down.
Exactly like London (apart from the Welsh road signs and sheep lol). As soon as England announced a slight relaxation on lockdown, pretty much everyone in Wales gave up and went back to normal, though Wales at first was still officially on strict lockdown
Dominic Cummings ruined the polices ability to enforce it. I haven't seen any roadblocks since that came out in the press.
The only time people feel they are on lockdown is when queueing for shops.

Minty

@londontarantulas
Exactly like London (apart from the Welsh road signs and sheep lol). As soon as England announced a slight relaxation on lockdown, pretty much everyone in Wales gave up and went back to normal, though Wales at first was still officially on strict lockdown
Dominic Cummings ruined the polices ability to enforce it. I haven't seen any roadblocks since that came out in the press.
The only time people feel they are on lockdown is when queueing for shops.
Sad to hear.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
There is a definite segment here that loves, or at least, appreciates Fossorials in their collection. What is the attraction?
My current fossorials are: Ceratogyrus marshalli, Augacephalus ezendami, Ephebopus murinus, Monocentropus balfouri, and three Idiothele mira slings fathered by my male that matured last fall.

I have a lot of tarantulas I see regularly, so the fact that some of them aren't very visible doesn't bother me. It is extra special when I do see the pet holes.

I like seeing what kinds of burrows they dig, and it's amusing to see their feet sticking out of the hole when they want food.

I particularly liked watching the Idiothele mira open its trapdoor and yank the food down within the blink of an eye.