what is wrong?

matija

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hi all,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT4LjZ04JQ4

this is my A geniculata.. she's moving like this for a couple of months now... even molted during "this time"...

i can't see any mites on her... or anything else that is "strange"... bad thing is that a couple of days ago i've found another T moving like this...

they are removed from collection.

what could this be? anyone see anything like this?

thanks
Matija

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hmm, are you blowing on it in that video?

It looks like Dyskenetic syndrome I guesss.

matija

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yes.. i've blown on her a couple of times so she move and it could be seen how she's moving...

Dyskenetic syndrome ... i've just read about it.. it doesn't sound good...

thanks

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I recently had a sling doing this sort of thing. Sadly it died. I am pretty sure it is dyskenetic syndrome

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i specifically remember watching/reading on a case just like this from a concerned AB member a while back.

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very sorry to hear this about your T. I have seen a few youtube vids on T's doing this. Sadly all had to be put down (via freezer). If memory serves they have no explanation for causes. Maybe I never read up enough, but if you could all share your info, would be appreciated.

Annie3Ponies

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My genic looked just like this for about 3 weeks, then it died. The change was sudden. One week it was eating, the next it was doing that whenever anything happened to disturb it, and then it went into its hide and died.

I had my first T, an A. seemani do that too. The 2 other T's acquired about the same time, and whose tanks are on the same table are fine. (so far).

I stopped using petstore crickets and got a roach colony. Just in case some of the crickets were contaminated.

I think you are going to lose that beautiful creature.

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Definately Dyskenetic syndrome... bad case too.

I'd suggest putting her to sleep.. but i've had this debate on here b4 "spiders can't feel anything so she's not in pain whats the point" but im sorry, that spider can't be happy or comfortable. In the wild they'd die, get eaten by predators etc..

The kindest thing would be to put her in a tub in the fridge for 15 mins then into the freezer. Putting her in the fridge will drop her body temperature so that she's effectively unconscious. Then freezing her will effectively make her fall into a neverending sleep. Kindest way for them unless you have access to CO2 gas.

Also, isolate her from the rest of your collection as it can spread! Before you use that tank again throughly disinfect it and everything in it...

Sorry to bring the bad news :( Poor spider...

NBond1986

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i have a Holothelle incei "norte de santander" sling with the same symptoms.

i already discussed it with Andrew (cacoseraph) when i was at his house this weekend.

it's unfortunate.....

we dont know how they get it, or how to cure it. im going to wait it out, and let it live the rest of its numbered days.

but it would be wonderful if we had a cure.

lizmotobike

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i think i remember that there was someone working on it and they had asked for people to send them there sick ones for study and or dissection. also there was a guy that had a lot of his collection wiped out. "spider-man 2" if i remember correctly. let me search for it.

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
This disease can wipe out whole collections so if you're going to keep the spider alive then isolate it asap. And do the same with any other spiders if you notice the symptoms. Isolate them straight away