What is up with her?

ember

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My G. rosea is very large (for a G. rosea). She is in a 10 gallon and has been for a while now. After some tweaking, I got the habitat to be very comfortable for her, providing me a VERY relaxed and 'happy' spider. Like most cozy G. roseas, she is not generally very active. She has not webbed at all, and I have never SEEN her eat - however I have pulled out a half cricket scrap, and sometimes the cricket I put in disappears... other times it is still there come dawn. She has a potting soil/coconut fiber (bed-a-beast style) substrate with a bit of dried moss here and there, and three hides. There is a water dish that she never touches, but I imagine that it helps give the otherwise DRY tank the touch of humidity that would be good for her. She seems well put in her space, not a tiny spider lost in a big tank.

She has been darkening up a bit, especially on her abdomen, and I have been anticipating a molt.

So yesterday, she was more active than I am used to seeing. She seemed ... frisky? She was not running or pacing, or otherwise acting stressed in that way. She was, however, walking around and pausing for an hour or so, and walking to another spot... all day long. At one point, I looked in, and she was doing something that resembled self cleaning with her front legs, or otherwise methodically moving the front of her body up and down slowly, her fangs being shown (but not a threating posture or anything). It KIND OF looked like she could have been feasting on a cricket, only there was no cricket involved.

Now today, I look in, and she is raised up with her abdomen pointing upwards. It looks like she is up on "tippy toes". It reminds me of an animal paused and raised way up hight, right before a dash towards something. There is no dashing... just the pausing. And she is staying in that position.

So, what is up with my G. rosea?

elyanalyous

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
she's just being a rosea would be my opinion... my rosie will periodically do the same things that you are describing. They just are wierd.:wall:

ember

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Okay...if that is the case, then I am cool with it. I am just trying to assure that she is not in need of something, conditions not correct, sign of something obvious that I have not come across yet, etc. :)

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The thing about something as large as a 10g tank is, do you have the substrate high enough? Roughly 1-1.5x the spider's legspan from dirt to ceiling. Especially with increased activity, you don't want to risk a fatal fall. Even if she lands on dirt, it can still very easily happen. :eek:

ember

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The substrate is not as high as most recommend, but it is pretty high. Even with the activity, she has not climbed at all (nor in the past). She has been so cozy, that I have not harassed her to add more substrate. I will post a photo here soon, and you can tell me whatcha think... :)