What is too cold for a G. Rosea?

Flutterbat

Arachnopeon
Hello! I just very recently got into this hobby and I own one little juvenile G. Rosea. My question is, what is too cold? I know that most people say room temperature is fine, but I keep my room around 65Fl. Is that too cold? Do I need a heat mat?

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
Look into a space heater. I have had "rose hairs" survive below 50. 65 is okay... but not ideal. Heat mat will desiccate.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Is 18º C (65F) the lowest temperature for your room or does it fall even lower during night time, for example? I would not keep my T´s that cold, but I have several tropical species. G. rosea seems to be fine in lower temperatures than most species. If you decide to get more heat, do not, I repeat don´t use a heat mat. They are dangerous to T´s. Turn up the heat in the room instead, or get a space heater if you cannot do this.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Never use a heat mat, not on the bottom, not on the side.... never.
A space heater for the area that your tarantula is in is the way to go. That species can tolerate it a bit cooler than others, but 65 degrees is not ideal as @gypsy cola has mentioned.
Some of the other species you were asking about would not be able to tolerate that temperature, though. If you are planning to get other species in the future, a space heater will not be optional.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Sorry for the dumb question, but 65 F due to air conditioning, or you are talking about/for Winter time? No, I ask because I can't realize how you can have 65 F in West Virginia Summer. There's that much cold lol? :-s

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
If you expand your collection, then that's too cold. For now, though, that is perfectly fine. This species is quite hardy, even as juveniles. You'll see that they essentially stop molting during the winter when temperatures are kept around that, but no harm will come to your T.

I obviously don't suggest this, but just some anecdotal evidence. When I lived in Nebraska, I lost power for three nights in late December. The room that my T's were in (at the time a very small collection) dipped down to the low 50's every night. I didn't suffer a single loss. They all basically stopped moving for that stretch of time.

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
If you expand your collection, then that's too cold. For now, though, that is perfectly fine. This species is quite hardy, even as juveniles. You'll see that they essentially stop molting during the winter when temperatures are kept around that, but no harm will come to your T.

I obviously don't suggest this, but just some anecdotal evidence. When I lived in Nebraska, I lost power for three nights in late December. The room that my T's were in (at the time a very small collection) dipped down to the low 50's every night. I didn't suffer a single loss. They all basically stopped moving for that stretch of time.
left window open during vacation. 50 degrees for two weeks. It was warm December for Utah. Only lost a T.stirmi sling. Poor husbandry at the time definitely did not help.

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
Look into a space heater. I have had "rose hairs" survive below 50. 65 is okay... but not ideal. Heat mat will desiccate.
Is she going put the space heater and the AC next to each other and let them fight out ? :D It would be BattleBots . Grant Imahara could drop by and help her with the setup .

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Sorry for the dumb question, but 65 F due to air conditioning, or you are talking about/for Winter time? No, I ask because I can't realize how you can have 65 F in West Virginia Summer. There's that much cold lol? :-s
It HAS to be AC. I've had to put ice packs atop of my enclosures a couple times in order to lower the temps to where I thought the spiders would not suffer heat stress.

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
That's a good question, Chris. I actually wondered the same thing. The OP might consider turning her AC down.

Flutterbat

Arachnopeon
Really? You're much farther South than I am, and I'm still getting 95+ degree days here.
Yes. It stays very cool. I live in the middle of the forest basically, we have a small pond by us and a river that runs around us. We are completely shaded by trees.

Flutterbat

Arachnopeon
Is she going put the space heater and the AC next to each other and let them fight out ? :D It would be BattleBots . Grant Imahara could drop by and help her with the setup .
What do you need the clarification on? We do have air conditioning but it is rarely used. It is now. Right now, it is 69 outside. Inside it is 67.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
That could explain it. Consider yourself lucky. It pushed up to nearly 90 here. No AC, so 87 in the house.

ao4649

Arachnopeon
My house stays around that temperature (nothing I can do about it-- someone I live with has reign of the thermostat and would keep it colder if it wouldn't literally kill the rest of us) and all of my t's are happy and active, but if you have the option to do so, I'd def warm up. If nothing else, the cold will definitely slow down growth.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Yes. It stays very cool. I live in the middle of the forest basically, we have a small pond by us and a river that runs around us. We are completely shaded by trees.
Ah, this explain well, Lady. I know people that here (more or less, and with an extent of course) lives in a environment similar to yours (btw I assume lovely), near our hills and mountains, and they do not suffer this hot Summer :banghead: