What is this?

Vanilla

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What kind of millipede is this?

This picture I found online when I typed in "backyard millipedes".I would like to know the species,because I just caught one of these tiny guys and he was too cute to let go.I wanna raise him for now,but I need to know what kind of conditions he needs and what he eats.

Savvo

Arachnopeon
I would suggest raising them like any other millipede, but I'm no expert
MCL, Vanilla <3

Vanilla

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks.I have him in a small cup with some peat moss for now,till I can figure out what to do for him.I may just release him back into the wild yet.

MCL to you too! :D

hermitman64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey Vanilla.

I suppose that's a possiblity, but I can only find that species originating from Hungary.

Anyway, it's a bit hard to identify with so many, but whenever I find millipedes I always have luck keeping them in some variation of an AGB habitat, which you're an expert on by now :D

Vanilla

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks!

I guess I will set him up like my giant species and see how it goes.I really wish I could identify him,but have had NO luck!

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'd collect some of the rotting hardwood and leaf mulch from where you found it, which, I'm assuming is your backyard.

Vanilla

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Oh it ended up dying.I guess it was really stressed.I feel bad now and don't know if I wanna try raising anymore wild caught pedes.

millipeter

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi,
C. boleti is common in the eastern and southern part of Europe (Germany - Italy - Balkan - Ukraina) and I didn't find a hint that this species was introduced to Newfoundland but it could be possible. C. boletis has an dark stripe on the back. The colour is greyyellow to brown and it meassures about 1,5-3,6cm.
The problem with smal millipedes of the temperate zone is that they are very sensitive to desiccation, higher temperatures and they need the right pH-value and source of food.

Vanilla

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Okay I have a pair of them now and had them for a week.They are doing really well and this time I won't make the mistake I did last time,but I am still trying to figure out what species they are!!

Vanilla

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Parajulidae
I have been doing some research and this is what they look like,so I am thinking they may be this.What do you think?

Vanilla

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah,after reading more,I definatly know it isn't a Cylindroiulus boleti.But it does appear to be Parajulidae
and the more pics I see and read,this definatly seems to be that.

Boy it is hard to identify pedes sometimes! Haha.
Anyway I found another,so I have 3 now and have them in a tupperware with similar conditions to my African giant and I also have some isopods in there and they are doing really well.But they sometimes dig and hide under the substrate.

millipeter

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Identification of millipedes are often hard and without examination not possible in many cases. I'm more into the mideuropeen millipedes and centipedes and the tropical millipedes, so I can't help you anymore.

Maybe these publications could help you if you are interested in the millipedefauna of your region. There are more species out there than you would guess or believe.

Palmén, Ernst (1952): Survey of the Diplopoda of Newfoundland [Soumenkielinen selostus: Newfoundlandin kaksoisjalkaiset]. - Annales zoologici Societatis zoologico-botanicae fennicae Vanamo 15 (1): 1-31.

Palmén, Ernst (1952): Survey of the Diplopoda of Newfoundland [Soumenkielinen selostus: Newfoundlandin kaksoisjalkaiset]. - Annales zoologici Societatis zoologico-botanicae fennicae Vanamo 8 (2): 131-149.

Palmén, Ernst (1954): Survey of the Chilopoda of Newfoundland. - Archivum Societatis Zoologicae Botanicae Fennicae 'Vanamo' 8 (2): 131-149.

Shelley, Rowland M. (1988): The millipeds of eastern Canada (Arthropoda: Diplopoda). - Canadian Journal of Zoology 66: 1638-1663 - (ISSN: 0008-4301).