What is this?

chid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have seen some scorpions advertised as "longclaw scorpions". Does anybody know what the scientific name would be?I have emailed the place and am waiting for a reply.
Chid

Richard_uk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Where abouts in the UK are you?

My local place (Prestwood avaries) has 2 young 'long claw' scorpions. They told me they were some Australian species. I have positivly identified them as being Iomachus politus. £20 each. A little expensive for a young scorp but I am considering it!!:D

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If I'm correct Australia is not exporting inverts....:?

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I don't know about this species, but most Ishnuridae don't do too well together.

Cheers,
Dave

chid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Dave.
Thanks for that. Does the keeping as Emperors sound right to you?
Chid

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Chid,

The answer to that one was provided in the link you provided. Sounds like a high humidity species to me. The peat recommendation on the page seems reasonable to me. Using a setup with some gravel in the bottom to hold a resevoire of water is probably your best bet.

It seems to me, however, that these guys aren't nearly as terrestrial as emps. Providing some bark etc. to climb on would be a good idea. You might even try putting in some overhanging rough textured rock. What you also might want to do is check out my description of my O.rugiceps enclosure here. They are the same family and seem to inhabit similar, though not identical, habitats.

Cheers,
Dave