What is this?

kikuhiko

Arachnopeon
I'm new to this. A couple weeks ago i got the spontaneous idea to house some isopods and millipedes and in 3 diff enclosures (its been a process) ive run into these growing in ll of them. This is my current tank for millipedes. What is it? Is it bad? How do i keep it from growing so rapidly? I'd hate to disturb the bugs and stress them out more than i need to.

Attachments

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Looks like some sort of mold. The isopods should eventually bring it under control, though doing some spot cleaning would help control it. If it gets really bad you may have to start over with the substrate.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Looks like some sort of mold. The isopods should eventually bring it under control, though doing some spot cleaning would help control it. If it gets really bad you may have to start over with the substrate.
Agreed that it looks like mold. Spot clean, it'll be fine.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Spot clean for sure, I've rarely had isopods consume that type of substrate mold, they seem to mostly leave it alone and let it grow... -_- Happens sometimes in humid soil that isn't burrowed through or disturbed much, just remove the patches you see, mix the soil up a bit in that area and you should be OK.

kikuhiko

Arachnopeon
Spot clean for sure, I've rarely had isopods consume that type of substrate mold, they seem to mostly leave it alone and let it grow... -_- Happens sometimes in humid soil that isn't burrowed through or disturbed much, just remove the patches you see, mix the soil up a bit in that area and you should be OK.
will do! glad to know its not horrible or anything. hopefully it wont be too horrible to manage @_@

DrippingPopsicle

Arachnosquire
Add Springtails! They basically fix all of the problems that come along with keeping isopods (fungus gnats, mold growth etc.) They are also really affordable to buy and very easy to breed. They will happilly get rid of that mold for you and will prevent any from showing up in the future!

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Add Springtails! They basically fix all of the problems that come along with keeping isopods (fungus gnats, mold growth etc.) They are also really affordable to buy and very easy to breed. They will happilly get rid of that mold for you and will prevent any from showing up in the future!
They don't do anything for this type of subterranean fungal growth unfortunately, they do wonders on food molds and the stuff that'll grow on newly introduced bark and leaf litter though.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
They don't do anything for this type of subterranean fungal growth unfortunately, they do wonders on food molds and the stuff that'll grow on newly introduced bark and leaf litter though.
Does anyone introduce nematodes into their tank for this sort of thing? Many kinds will eat mold

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Not that I know of, I feel like fungus gnats would probably do the job though.
But they become such a pain after they pupate and start flying around a room. More a nuisance than anything, and not a problem if you don't mind, but it's definitely a potential issue.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
But they become such a pain after they pupate and start flying around a room. More a nuisance than anything, and not a problem if you don't mind, but it's definitely a potential issue.
I just got used to them after years of them inhabiting my humid enclosures, but I know some people have more trouble with them than I do, so that's true...