What is this?

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i saw a pic of this on the net...what the heck is it? (i reailze it's a spider)

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Nephila clavipes

Yep, Nephila clavipes, the largest orb-weaver (Araneidae) native to the U.S. Awesome species!

Alex S.

Last edited:

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Alex S. said:
Yep, Nephila clavipes, the largest orb-weaver (Araneidae) native to the U.S. Awesome species!
The genus Nephila is in the family Tetragnathidae.

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes, Nephila clavipies it is indeed an awesome spider.

Andy

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
jsloan said:
The genus Nephila is in the family Tetragnathidae.

Im not very knowledgeable about orb-weavers in the first place, but I thought Tetragnathidae was a sub-family of Araneidae as Nephila has been referred to in the Araneidae.

Alex S.

Last edited:

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Alex S. said:
Im not very knowledgeable about orb-weavers in the first place, but I thought Tetragnathidae was a sub-family of Araneidae as Nephila has been referred to in the Araneidae.
I'm not an expert either. Tetragnathids may have been a subfamiliy of Araneidae at one time, I don't know, but they are a family on their own now. Nephila used to be in Araneidae, but according to Platnick it's now in the Tetragnathidae family:

http://research.amnh.org/entomology/spiders/catalog/ARANEIDAE.html

At the beginning of the page is a list of genera that were formerly in Araneidae, but have been transferred to other families. I'm not sure why Nephila was transferred. Perhaps because of the elongated bodies (just a guess on my part)?

Platnick is a great resource. A lot of spiders I'd assumed were in one group turned out to be in another.

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
you're the first (besides me) to notice that, i was suprised noone mentioned it. do these spiders make golden colored webs?

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I saw some tv show while back that showed certain orb weavers making gold silk. I can't remember which show it was.