What is this?

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Hi guys,

Yesterday I removed my AF H. pulchripes from her enclosure and put her into a temporary one. I did this because I saw an unmissable sight on her carapace. She seems to have something on legs R1 R2 too which looks related.

To me it looks like a dent or scrape with dried haemolymph on it. I just dont understand how she got it. All she had in her enclosure was a water dish, loads of substrate and a small bit of cork bark that she burrowed under. So a fall wouldnt be likely. I should have remembered to take pics but I forgot.

I threw out all the stuff in her old enclosure after searching to see for parasites and there was none. I tossed it away anyway incase I was missing something I wanted to be extra careful.

Maybe she has scratched herself along that little cork bark? It would have need to have some power behind her.

She is eating with no hassle and ate an adult dubia just before I snapped this photo for reference to problem area.

Here is the photo.
IMG_3364.JPG

Anyway, I am posting this here to see if you guys could tell me what this is? I am just hoping it is nothing serious and it will be fixed come next moult. I am just paranoid as she is one of my favourites. :(

Thanks in advance.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Man, that is one shabby looking H. pulchripes lol. Are you sure its not poop that she some how smeared on her head ?

Later, Tom

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Man, that is one shabby looking H. pulchripes lol. Are you sure its not poop that she some how smeared on her head ?
She is looking very shabby indeed. Its definitely a scrape/dent. I haven't seen anything like this before though.

Here is a better photo
IMG_3367.JPG

I have no clue how this has happened :confused:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
almost looks like a scrape youd see on wc spiders, nothing to worry about if thats the case. it looks like she rubbed pretty hard against something, maybe burrowing against the side?

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
The cork bark was at angle against the sides and sticking out a little. I rehoused her about 3 weeks after last moult so it may be the case. I was just worried as she hasnt really surfaced since and when she did I saw this. I worried thinking haemolymph but probably just a bit of turd ajja.

All food has been disappearing but I worried about parasite too. Dont want to lose this gal. :rolleyes:

Kennyg

Arachnopeon
its strange though as you can see it also runs down onto her legs , makes me think it must be some liquid of some sort , probably haemolymph like you said

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Doesn't look like any kind of parasite that a spider would get, and I would suspect its a CB spider anyway so where would a parasite come from ? If its eating it will probably be fine and molt out of it.

Later, Tom

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
its strange though as you can see it also runs down onto her legs , makes me think it must be some liquid of some sort , probably haemolymph like you said
their poop is a liquid at first, it hardens.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Maybe she molted in a tight spot, and hardened up against something?

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That doesn't look like a scrape to me, it would take quite a bit of force to cause that. If you look closely at the blown up picture, it definitely looks like something layered on top of the exo.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
It really looks like poop to me if you blow up the picture. The poop on her legs looks like it dripped down in her, then hardened.

Ran

Arachnoknight
From your photos she is eating a male dubia...good sign she is eating. It looks like she rubbed on her own feces as others have mentioned as there is substrate on her carapace and body.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Turns out it is an injury. A decent photo revealed a crack on the carapace. I still dont know how she managed it. Maybe she did rub against the bark after the last moult o_O
View media item 37857

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
While it is possible for captive bred spiders to contract parasites through their prey items I do not think that is the case here. I am sorry to see it is a crack in the exoskeleton , especially so soon after a molt.

Could possibly be a rupture due to a complication during the molt.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
She only resurfaced recently. I hadnt seen her for a long time(since last moult during rehouse), but a few days ago she came out looking scruffy and rough with this injury. Fingers crossed next molt will be issue free even though its going to be another few months.