What is this spider?

chibicricket

Arachnopeon
I live in Virginia, and we sometimes get these spiders in our laundry room or out by the shed. I will say I'm normally not afraid of spiders, but the size of these things freak me out a little. As a size reference, it's on top of my outdoor turtle hutch, and that piece of wood is probably about 5 or 6" wide.

Attachments

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I live in Virginia, and we sometimes get these spiders in our laundry room or out by the shed. I will say I'm normally not afraid of spiders, but the size of these things freak me out a little. As a size reference, it's on top of my outdoor turtle hutch, and that piece of wood is probably about 5 or 6" wide.
Dolomedes tenebrosus

I think a wolf spider?
Not this one. It's a Dolomedes tenebrosus.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
If only lycosids got that big. The backyard trips with the flashlight would be like 50 yard line seating at the stadium.

chibicricket

Arachnopeon
Ok thanks! I usually catch them and let them outside, but it's always a little startling when you first turn on the light and see a gigantic spider crawling around. We live in a big forest area, just haven't figured out how they've been getting in the house yet.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Pretty sure dolomedes have Eyeshine aswell
They do! Many spiders do, it’s just Lycosids are the easiest and most common ones to find. I have found crab spiders, and other Pisaurids with their eye shine. Lycosids are just everywhereeeeee

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
it’s just Lycosids are the easiest and most common ones to find.
That covers it. In a large lawn at a relatives place outside San Diego the lawn lit up like a starry night. The smaller stationary lights were the occasional agelenids catching the light just right. The larger mobile ones were the lycos, in that yard out by the dozens.