What is this piece of exo from?

squamata99

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've found 2 pieces of exo just like this in the same area of my yard. They were under a big light that is turned on every night. Looks like the head of a vinagaroon or something.

Last edited:

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Could you get a clearer pic of the front (where the 'eyes' are) and underside?

It doesn't look like a pupa to me, nor does it look like a urogypid.

squamata99

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Here's another pic. This piece is about 1". The only piece I have

Last edited:

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The underside looks vaguely beetle-like, but the top looks kind of like a crawdad . . . Hmm . . .

BeetleExperienc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Looks like just 1/2 of the abdomen of something and it looks like you can see where some of the legs were attached. I think the top (second pic in the thread) is actually the inside of whatever it was because it looks like there are some internal support structures there.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yea I'd say a beetle abdomen. Two pair of legs on the ab and one pair on the thorax.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm going to second the vote for some sort of crusteacan...where was this found?

Scarp172

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I thought it looked like a crawdad or a crayfish carapace and at an inch long I think so even more :)

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
Crayfish, probably left there by a cat or racoon. From a nearby stream/pond.

Mat

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It is the underside of some sort of species of beetle including half of the thorax with the middle and rear coaxae plus most of the abdomen.

In many species of beetle such as water beetles or chafers these two sections are fused together and there is no obvious clear demarcation between thorax and abdomen. Looking at the first picture you can clearly see the hind coxal process which essentially mark the 'end' of the badomen. Probably the remains of a beetle dropped by a bat of other predator.

Regards

Matt