What is this in my isopod/springtail culture?

DooLittleLife

Arachnopeon
My fiance freaked out thinking it was mites and threw it away but I want to know what it was for sure. I think it is a fungus but I need real people to evaluate and let me know.

Attachments

ccTroi

Arachnobaron
the springtails should clean it up soon. how much springtails do you have in the enclosure?

isopodgeek

Arachnosquire
Fungis. If you want to dispose of it, don't flush it/ throw it out! You need to freeze it first for three days before you throw it out in your regular trash.

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
Mold or fungus. the spring tails main diet is supposed to be mold so just leave it. Only remove if it gets on every thing and is a serious problem. It also means you might have too much moisture or not enough ventilation.

LizardStudent

Arachnosquire
Yep, it's a mycelium, and looks like ones that's not very harmful at all. You can remove it but really it'll bother you a lot more than the isopods and springtails, they won't care. I usually just pinch it out with my fingers, I don't go to any extreme lengths to rid every spore from the container cause it really is not necessary unless you just have some personal hatred for fungus

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
To be fair we aren't getting an HD view that would expose a potential mite problem. If you mean those alien antenna looking things then what everyone else said. it's a fungus. If it is thriving then you enter mite territory. You should have about 100-200 per every cubic foot or so to establish a fungus free environment. Your dude is good for being on the lookout for mites though, for real.