What is this blue or black spot? Need help!!

Death the sling

Arachnopeon
I gave both of them food yesterday n the didnt eat it, but I saw this blue spot n now I'm scared cause I don't know what it is.

Please answer need help!

I gave both of them food yesterday n the didnt eat it, but I saw this blue spot n now I'm scared cause I don't know what it is.

Please answer need help!
Lp is the baby
N. Chromatus is the big one

Attachments

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Most New World tarantulas have patches of urticating setae (commonly called "urticating hairs"). These can be flicked in self defense or shed around the enclosure to protect the burrow.

In slings, the patch of urticating hairs looks like a dark circle on the abdomen.

When a sling gets very close to molting, the entire abdomen will turn dark. (Adults' abdomens darken too, but you normally can't see the color change due to the hair concealing it.)

Death the sling

Arachnopeon
Most New World tarantulas have patches of urticating setae (commonly called "urticating hairs"). These can be flicked in self defense or shed around the enclosure to protect the burrow.

In slings, the patch of urticating hairs looks like a dark circle on the abdomen.

When a sling gets very close to molting, the entire abdomen will turn dark. (Adults' abdomens darken too, but you normally can't see the color change due to the hair concealing it.)
Oh I see.. So it's sign that they're in pre molt?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Oh I see.. So it's sign that they're in pre molt?
The dark circle? No, that's something you'll see throughout the molt cycle in slings that have urticating hairs. When a molt is imminent, the entire abdomen turns dark.

Signs of pre-molt (a single sign might not mean pre-molt, but if you are seeing multiple signs, it is likely pre-molt):
  • refuses food
  • seems more lethargic, skittish, or reclusive than normal
  • coloring looks drabber than normal
  • spontaneously shedding hair around its enclosure
  • seals itself into its burrow (do not disturb sign)
  • entire abdomen turns dark (not visible on larger tarantulas without a bald spot): will molt within a few days
  • makes a molting mat: will likely molt within a day
  • flips onto its back or side: it begins!

Death the sling

Arachnopeon
The dark circle? No, that's something you'll see throughout the molt cycle in slings that have urticating hairs. When a molt is imminent, the entire abdomen turns dark.

Signs of pre-molt (a single sign might not mean pre-molt, but if you are seeing multiple signs, it is likely pre-molt):
  • refuses food
  • entire abdomen turns dark (not visible on larger tarantulas without a bald spot): will molt within a few days
Ohh I see now. Thanks! I'm going to watch them prolly everyday and might give them food once a week or so..

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
This is just my experience, but after my LP or chromatus refuse a feeding, they refuse consistently until they molt. You can go ahead and try to feed them again, but (if you aren't already) be sure to pre-kill the prey so it doesn't run off somewhere if they aren't interested. If they refuse again I'd just wait it out until they molt so you're not wasting feeders.

cold blood

Staff member
The LP:

I would strongly recommend getting it out of that vial...its too damp in there and with the limited ventilation a vial has, that can make for a death trap. I would suggest a simple condiment cup with a few holes around the side and a few on the lid (don't over-ventilate either). This provides not only better ventilation, but more floor space, which allows you to just keep one side damp...this prevents over-watering and allows for more air movement within the enclosure.

Can't say If this one is pre-molt or not, but as Miranda said, refusal of food is often the first sign for good eaters...but too much moisture and not enough venting can also have this effect.

The chromatus:

This is 110% pre-molt. Do not offer food, just keep part of the sub damp and water in the dish, be patient and await the next molt...which could be days, or even weeks...either way, it needs nothing but the conditions I just described until then.

Death the sling

Arachnopeon
The LP:

I would strongly recommend getting it out of that vial...its too damp in there and with the limited ventilation a vial has, that can make for a death trap. I would suggest a simple condiment cup with a few holes around the side and a few on the lid (don't over-ventilate either). This provides not only better ventilation, but more floor space, which allows you to just keep one side damp...this prevents over-watering and allows for more air movement within the enclosure.

Can't say If this one is pre-molt or not, but as Miranda said, refusal of food is often the first sign for good eaters...but too much moisture and not enough venting can also have this effect.

The chromatus:

This is 110% pre-molt. Do not offer food, just keep part of the sub damp and water in the dish, be patient and await the next molt...which could be days, or even weeks...either way, it needs nothing but the conditions I just described until then.
Alright thank you!

Jvetb

Arachnopeon

• refuses food
Thank you for this post. Our Honduran curly hair’s abdomen has darkened from a light brown to a dark grey/blue in the last week and he has become more skittish and reclusive. (Our first tarantula and we have had it since may). My son and I were both concerned about him/her, glad to know what is going on and that we don’t have to be concerned!

Jess S

Arachnobaron
The LP:

Totally agree with @coldblood here. Vials can get stagnant quickly ( unless you've added cross ventilation to them). It's very difficult to not accidentally over water on occasion, due to the smallness. A couple of extra drips by accident and it goes from just right, to too damp.

I have been using vials but when I think back, the couple of tiny slings I've lost were housed in vials. I'm in the process of either transferring or adding cross ventilation.