Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

What is the strangest insect you’ve found?

Discussion in 'Insects, Other Invertebrates & Arthropods' started by WyrmSwarm, Nov 29, 2019.

1. WyrmSwarm

WyrmSwarm Arachnosquire

USA
    Advertisement
    Just a curious question, I would love to see your replies! Also, if you have any pictures that would be cool to see too!

2. VolkswagenBug

VolkswagenBug Arachnobaron Active Member

I found a dead individual of a Polyphylla species once (maybe decemlineata?), which is quite a large and striking beetle for Utah standards. I think I have it somewhere, but I don't have a picture.

3. schmiggle

schmiggle Arachnoprince Active Member

I'm almost positive it's actually something common, but I haven't seen it since so--I found a small insect when I was about 5 or 6 at the edge of the woods near school. It had a crimson abdomen and black thorax, as I recall, and it was sticking its abdomen straight up in the air.

• Like Like x 1
  4. VolkswagenBug

That sounds like an Arilus cristatus nymph. Is that what it is?
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. ThatsUnpossible

ThatsUnpossible Arachnosquire Active Member

UK
    This thread reminded me of something that I saw nearly fifty years ago!

I was digging around in our garden and a beetle(?) of a similar shape to a devil’s coach horse, but much smaller, came running out of the dirt. It was purple with orange spots.

I told a couple of people and they didn’t believe me, but I really did see it. Anybody know what it was?

Location was S.E. England.

6. schmiggle

schmiggle Arachnoprince Active Member

This picture not as much, but some others more. It definitely wasn't that engorged, and I don't think it had the spots down its back. I also remember the abdomen being darker, but it was in the shade, so who knows. It might be same genus, different species.

7. pannaking22

pannaking22 Arachnoemperor Active Member

They've been flies I've collected for the most part. 2x Acroceridae from southern Illinois, 1x Hippoboscidae from Kenya, and 1x Xylophagidae from southern Illinois. What's funny is the hippoboscid was one that I'd actually been trying to collect, whereas the others were ones I collected back in the day because they looked weird. Now I just need to put genus/species IDs on them...beetles and orthops I've collected have been expected, even if they have been cool/rare.

8. VermillionFox

VermillionFox Arachnopeon

While not exactly the strangest (cant exactly give a true answer on this), I was happy as hell to run across honeypot ants in the wild. While photos are easy to come by, seeing them in person makes it hard to believe such a thing is alive and happy as can be in nature.

9. VolkswagenBug

I think Arilus only has that one described species. It's possible you found an undescribed member of the genus, I suppose. If not, I still bet it's an assassin bug because they curl up their abdomen as described.

10. The Mantis Menagerie

The Mantis Menagerie Arachnoknight Active Member

USA
    I think one of the strangest insects, at least when compared to other members of its order, is the deadwood borer moth (Scolecocampa liburna). It took me such a long time to figure out what these caterpillars were I was finding inside rotten logs. Now I need to figure out if they are as easy to breed as most large scarab and stag beetle larvae. If so, then they might be a good food for caterpillar-feeding carabids, such as Calosoma sp.

thumbnail_IMG_8366.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  11. VolkswagenBug

That caterpillar is adorable.

• Like Like x 2
  12. WyrmSwarm

WyrmSwarm Arachnosquire

USA
    Thats super cool, I love the way it looks!

13. Abdulkarim Elnaas

Abdulkarim Elnaas Arachnosquire Active Member

Did you try to eat one?

14. BepopCola

BepopCola Arachnoknight Active Member

I was doing a summer research project about pollinators at a local organic farm.
    We had sticky traps set up every other corner, and I thought I found the lovechild of a mantis and a wasp.
    It ended up being mantidflies. I still find them cool.

• Like Like x 1
  15. mantisfan101

mantisfan101 Arachnoangel Active Member

I once found a Cotinis nitida eating a rotten fig at an Hmart once. I also caught a D. Tityus and Lucanus capreolus male at my porch light. My local fish store also has some ranatra water scorpions in the feeder ghost shrimp tank from time to time.

• Like Like x 1
  16. WyrmSwarm

WyrmSwarm Arachnosquire

USA
    I’ve seen pictures of those and would absolutely love to see one in person!

17. bulbophyllum

bulbophyllum Arachnosquire

A Hickory Horned Devil, Citheronia regalis,
    caterpillar the size of a hotdog

• Like Like x 1
  18. aaarg

aaarg Arachnosquire Active Member

a live forcepfly (Merope tuber).

tbf i get excited whenever i find a mecopteran (the aforementioned forcepfly, aaaalso scorpionflies, snow scorpionflies, and this year i finally officially saw a hangingfly!) or a neuropteran (mantisflies, antlions, spongeflies, lacewings)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Arthroverts

Arthroverts Arachnoprince Active Member

Odonata nymphs in a pond filter. Absolutely crazy looking.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

20. The Seraph

The Seraph Arachnolord Active Member

USA
    Either a woodlouse spider back in Colorado or mountain leeches when I went to Japan. Those are the strangest invertebrates. As for actual insects, the scorpion fly back in Kanagawa was freaky.

• Like Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.