What is the scariest spider you currently own and why?

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
By that, I mean the scariest to YOU, the keeper, who has to deal with feeding, cleaning, rehousing, etc. If your instinct is to say "Nothing scares me" I'd wager that there is at least one T that you're extra cautious with for one reason or another. What is it?

I'm fairly sure that the public in general would be equally scared of most tarantulas, not knowing that there are differences in temperament, venom, speed, etc.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Phlogius sp. "Black"
It's extremely fast, extremely skittish, very quick to bite, has medically significant venom, and worst of all it doesn't seem to utilize a hide or burrow. That's a bad combination. It's the only spider that still gives me sweaty palms when rehousing.

On the plus side, its stridulation sounds adorable.

user 666

Arachnobaron
My S calceatum. It moves like greased lightning and accounts for about 2/3 of all escape attempts for my entire collection.

Timc

Arachnosquire
P. rufilata. Speed and venom should say it all. I never open that lid without a catch cup and a game plan. No issues yet but no reason to let my guard down either. Wonderful spider though.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Most of mine are still slings, but I'm going to predict that my N. tripepii will be the one that I'm the most cautious about when it's an adult. Specimens vary, but I've heard that Nhandus can be really crabby (for NW terrestrials anyway.)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
No one. Not even my S.subspinipes when she was trying to escape at dawn, one day, and that weird sound of her head against the enclosure waked me up. Even if that isn't the best way for jump out of the bed :mask:

I don't underestimate, however, not even a 'Grammo'. I'm always focused when dealing with them.

What scares me are sharks, not sharks per se (meaning, viewing those in aquariums or else) but the idea to be in their environment, the water, where they have the upper hand. That's why a swim in the Ocean can F-Word for me :-s

cold blood

Staff member
Most of mine are still slings, but I'm going to predict that my N. tripepii will be the one that I'm the most cautious about when it's an adult. Specimens vary, but I've heard that Nhandus can be really crabby (for NW terrestrials anyway.)
I've raised lots of Nhandu...some are indeed flicky...but most are much more skittish than defensive, and IME, not especially difficult to deal with.

P. cancerides, now there's a nasty NW terrestrial. Easily my most defensive t, and one of the most skittish. Open the top and he's either flying around or toppled over in threat posture slapping at the ground or sides.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Phlogius sp. "Black"
It's extremely fast, extremely skittish, very quick to bite, has medically significant venom, and worst of all it doesn't seem to utilize a hide or burrow. That's a bad combination. It's the only spider that still gives me sweaty palms when rehousing.
That's Australia in general, man. Everything there wants you dead!

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
What scares me are sharks, not sharks per se (meaning, viewing those in aquariums or else) but the idea to be in their environment, the water, where they have the upper hand. That's why a swim in the Ocean can F-Word for me :-s
Oh, sharks aren't so bad..... they're just large fish;)

I wouldn't say any of my Ts scare me. But I definitely practice extra caution around my rufilata and my H. mac. Both are pretty skitty. Neither of them have ever thrown a threat posture at me. But I would consider those my fastest Ts. My most impressive is still my large P. vittata female. But she's actually SUPER mellow. I've seen Avics with more energy than her.... lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My 4" H. mac doesn't use a hide. But she's never bolted or threat postured. Just sits there waiting for a cricket when I open the lid. One day she dumped a bunch of moss in her water dish and webbed it up. As I was trying to pull all that out with tongs, she walked over and put her front feet on the moss like a curious rosea. She's the weirdest H. mac ever. I expect her to one day out of nowhere explode with rage and kill me.

Cheo Samad

Arachnopeon
Currently have nothing to fear. It seems I have some fun rehousing to do this weekend, but fear in general is unhealthy. I respect all of my animals, but fear would lead to more mistakes which would be bad.

I'm highly considering getting a centipede soon. I guess that would be considered 'scary.'

boina

Lady of the mites
Phormictopus atrichomatus. It's the only T I've ever seen that actively attacked me - when I opened the lid it raced out of it's hide and tried to bite me. Just got the lid in between me and him in time and he then proceeded to "bite" the lid, venom dripping. I was totally shocked. That thing is mental. That was when he was new and hadn't settled in, though. He has calmed down a bit by now so I can at least feed him and change his water without another attack.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
I don't fear any of them. I definitely take precautions to avoid anything with my skittish spiders. I rehoused a fast and flighty p vittata on Sunday. Didn't want to go in the bigger enclosure, so I took the top off and put the old into the new. A few hours later he had crawled out and was on the side of the new one. Removed old enclosure, added cork bark, and done. It's ok to let them come out on their own, whether rehousing or unpacking.

creepa

Arachnoknight
I am not scared of any i own...

If someone is scared of a spider in his collection he/she should sell it.

A healthy dose of caution on the other hand i have when dealing with my adult female Chilobrachys sp. Kaeng krachan.
She is a beast that wants to eat my face.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
No fear, but I have some that I am extra cautious around.
Strangely enough, my B.smithi is the one of which I open the enclosure most carefully. Not because of biting or speed, but because she flicks those damned urticating hairs at the slightest disturbance, and I am most sensitive to her hairs :shifty:
Speed/temperament wise, it is one of my P.pulchers at the moment. She comes out of her nest in threatpose if I breathe wrong :p

basin79

ArachnoGod
Non at the moment but when my Theraphosa Blondi grows a bit I'll be very wary due to the hairs.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Being afraid of a pet makes me think perhaps a person shouldn't have it.. I can't imagine that being very fun.
I'm def more cautious with my OW arboreals though.

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
I'm always afraid of getting haired by my L. difficilis. Fortunately she isn't a kicker, but I also haven't had to deal with rehousing her yet...