What is the scariest spider you currently own and why?

Abyss

Arachnoknight
None are scary, they are all sweet and cuddly and never toss up a threat. They are content to just chill an let me do what i need to do.

If i had to choose i suppose it'd be my 0.1 P. met due to venom potency but meh, shes a sweet girl :)

Bread

Arachnopeon
Got to be mrs WC Hysterocrates who never fails to come charging out or her burrow when I open the lid, and I never know which way shes going to 'charge' :p

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Not exactly scary but worrisome. My little obt has started this thing where she likes to either nail the food or bolt straight out of the container when it hits the web. Super unpredictable, and I'd hate to lose the little girl.

TweedMcQueen

Arachnopeon
She doesn't scare me but honestly I'm most cautious with my rosey. Definitely one of the psychos. Bi-polar. Sometimes chill but most of the time bites at the water stream when I refill the dish, lunges at tongs etc. Doesn't matter how much she has eaten. She's just territorial I think. Once out of the enclosure she relaxes. But getting her out is always an adventure.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I definitely use caution and precaution. None of my current ones really "scare" me.
I do have a free range Chilobrachys sp Black Satan. I anticipate being significantly surprised one of these days. :)

Shampain88

Arachnosquire
My Piloctenus Cf. Haematostoma it's a lightening quick wandering spider and it always dances and shows fangs if disturbed, scares me more than my centipedes lol... It's my weekly dose of adrenaline hehe

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Not afraid, but certainly wary of my S. calceatum. She seems pretty chill and more interested in hiding than anything, but I'm just waiting for her to show me why they get such a bad reputation! :rofl:

And one of my G. pulchra slings weirds me out. It likes to sit there and "watch" me (I know they have bad eyesight, but it always seems to be turned towards me) for extended periods of time... I think it's plotting something. o_O

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
All of my guys are pretty chill when it comes to rehousing and other types of maintenance that requires me disturbing them (I just let them go at their own pace). I guess I'd have to say my MM OBT that I have to get in a deli cup. I'm trading him for a 2" H. mac and an inch P. cancerides.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I wouldn't call it "fear' , but in my case it is the eventual rehousing of my L. parahybana. And the apprehension stems more from my concern for the spider than my own safety. But, the concern for my own safety would be what would result in harm coming to her ,causing my concern.

Does that make any sense at all?

Vezon

Arachnopeon
My T. gigas. It has this tenancy to make a dash for the lid when I open its enclosure to feed it. Either that or it will run laps around the perimeter of its enclosure. I *hate* having to chase the dumb thing around the room because I'm always afraid I'm going to crush its leg or something with a catch cup.

Stormsky

Arachnopeon
I wouldn't call it "fear' , but in my case it is the eventual rehousing of my L. parahybana. And the apprehension stems more from my concern for the spider than my own safety. But, the concern for my own safety would be what would result in harm coming to her ,causing my concern.

Does that make any sense at all?
That is basically the exact fear I have with my tarantulas.
For example, I'm not so much worried that one might run out on to me and bite me. It's not gonna kill me so I'll get over it. I'm more worried that if they bite me, I might flinch and throw or drop the tarantula and kill it by accident.

Is that about what you mean?

BrockiePelma

Arachnosquire
Every Ts i own that is hungry.

Their so damn feisty,just a blow of wind on the vents and they'd com'a runnin', fangs first.

sasker

Arachnoprince
I only own NW slow moving terrestrials, nothing to be afraid of. However, not too long ago these guys used to scare me a little. Perhaps I am getting ready for faster NW arboreals or OW...? ;)

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I don't fear any of my Tarantulas but I do have a healthy fear of the venom that some of my Ts possess as I keep some potent species..
There is only one species in my collection that I don't enjoy working with and it's my H.mac. It doesn't use a hide and is allways up near the opening of the enclosure. It's webbing extends top to bottom and it can move from one end of the enclosure to the other before my brain can register What's happening.. It's the most skittish H.mac I have ever owned.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
I am constantly alarmed by fast mature male arboreals that want the hell out! Those bolty, leggy guys drive me crazy. One of them will zoom by me and be up the wall or down the bookcase or up my arm or tickling around on the back of my neck, and there's me trying not to panic or thrash about and cause a fall or a crushed limb. Jeez, reproductive imperative--whatever, calm down! And I've raised them all from wee babies, so hurting one would just crush my heart.

It seems like speed is the source of any anxiety I have about tarantulas. I am terrified of little pill vials of tiny, teleporting slings--their sole goal in life seems to be to take up residence under my bed or under my shoe rather than in the carefully prepared habitat I have waiting for them. I'm just terrified I'm going to knock a leg off or squish one somehow trying to get them back in the corral. Got a D. diamentinensis, C. Perezmilessi, and a P. regalis--all wee slings--from Joe Rossi yesterday, and my nerves are still just shot! Going to need an extra two or three hours of therapy for the diamentinensis, alone: it was about the size of a hydrogen atom and ended up in my lap. :sour:

Last edited:

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
I'd say my LP warrants the most caution. It's a skittish little monkey, on more than one occasion when I gently tapped it with my paintbrush to move in in one direction or the other it's just wheeled around and bear-hugged it :rofl:

I am also pretty cautious with my Nhandu chromatus. Mostly because I see this girls face every time I open the enclosure.

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/beginner-keeping-mostly-old-worlds.302403/

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
None of my T’s are ‘scary’ since they’re all NW, but I’m very cautious with two of them. My A. geniculata because everything in its habitat is thought of as food, and my P. irminia because it’s lightning fast and I don’t want an escape.

DanBsTs

Dan (Not Even Cool) the Man
My tarantulas are all slings at this point in time ranging from .25" to about 2". None of them scare me. I find myself saying "awwww!" :happy: more than anything. That being said, I treat all my T's with caution whether it is an .5" B. Albo sling or my lightning fast 1.5" C. Fimbriatus sling. I give them there due respect. I definitely give my C. Fimbriatus a little extra caution when transferring and feeding. At this point it is more interested in fleeing to its burrow. I have no doubt that will change with time.