What is the rarest animal you’ve found?

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
For me, it’s Sassacus cyaneus. A pretty rare jumping spider. I found it on a (dry) pool toy and was very surprised as I had seen one from the same genus online the other day and thought “wouldn’t that be cool to find one of those” 3021A37F-CBDB-4915-9803-7D8A8D2B943C.jpeg D2D250D3-008F-4A48-BE97-E3F6D3C0364A.jpeg CD3DAAEC-3538-4D16-95FC-C4A13A9F77C0.jpeg

Poonjab

Arachnoking
The vaquita. Was just swimming around doing vaquita things

Last edited:

Hakuna

Arachnoknight
Crotalus horridus - Extremely dark, almost black with brown streaks; Timber Rattlesnake while hiking about 4-5 years ago.

He/She was sunbathing on a very rocky part of the path we were on. Gave them about a 10 foot birth. Probably the darkest rattlesnake I’ve seen so far. They are endangered up here in NY

Pictures have been lost along with an old phone, very unfortunately.

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
I was lucky enough to see a couple wild california condors in the Grand Canyon a few years ago (it really is the best when you unintentionally run into USFWS biologists and they show you where all the stuff is). Also had the great privilege of watching a large family of a dozen or so giant river otters in Brazil, and while no longer living, I did collect a Mosasaur tooth in DE which was pretty awesome.

REALLY jealous of @Poonjab though. I wish I could have had the chance, it seems nearly impossible now:sad:.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Crotalus horridus - Extremely dark, almost black with brown streaks; Timber Rattlesnake while hiking about 4-5 years ago.

He/She was sunbathing on a very rocky part of the path we were on. Gave them about a 10 foot birth. Probably the darkest rattlesnake I’ve seen so far. They are endangered up here in NY

Pictures have been lost along with an old phone, very unfortunately.
I’ve seen a black one, but only pic

Did you see the news about the blonde one found?

Hakuna

Arachnoknight
I’ve seen a black one, but only pic

Did you see the news about the blonde one found?
Not until now. Mississippi? Makes sense a lighter colored one was found down south. We’ve always had pretty dark ones around here, due to the climate. The one I mentioned earlier was probably about 3’ long maybe a bit shorter

Malum Argenteum

Arachnoknight
I almost stepped on a Sistrurus catenatus (Massasauga) a long time ago while scrounging for firewood on a canoe-camping trip here in WI, where they're state endangered. Neat snake -- gave me much more warning than I deserved.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
Caught a few Northern Red-bellied Brown Snakes (Storeria occipitomaculata occipitomaculata) Which are absolutely beautiful.

Also had a channel catfish on my line in lake Manitoba post flood, but I was fishing for Jack and it snapped my line before I could get it in. I have landed a Mariah tho, which are these weird looking fish that look like they are part eel.

As for insects I'm not sure what I'd call rare since the majority of them live in microclimates.

Edit: also got surrounded by coywolves once when I was walking a forest trail with all my younger cousins (14-6yrs old) I was 16 at the time and the eldest one there.

Jonathan6303

Arachnoangel
Not exactly rare but I think unusually. I found a Gasteracantha cancriformis all the way up in New York.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Probably the potential world record common snapper I caught when I was younger.
Photo0149.jpg

I remember the first time I caught a DeKay's snake and that really threw me through a loop. I thought I knew all the reptiles native to my area and here was this little 6" snake, puffed up with a triangular head, and I'm sitting here trying to figure out if there's a venomous snake that I never heard about lol.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Bit of an old thread, but I found a spotted turtle in a bog in RI once. They're listed as Species in Most Need of Conservation in the state, which I guess is a long way of saying endangered :p