What is the most dangerous centipede in the world?

-Exotic

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So what is the most dangerous or toxic centipede in the world??? :confused:

Quixtar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Scolopendra subspinipes has killed a 7-year old Filipino girl before. Scolopendra morsitans bit a Turkish man who died from complications that arose after the bite. Scolopendra viridicornis has half the LD50 value of subspinipes, meaning it is probably the most venomous to rodents. However, there is no human envenomation data.

lol, too funny almost like the deadly tarantula. there aren't any dangerous centipedes, some may hurt worse than others but thats about it.
Rev
Centipedes are a step above tarantulas as far as danger is concerned, but they don't quite rank up there with scorpions and true spiders. As far as I'm concerned, no tarantula bite has even led to a single documented human death, not even Stromatopelma calceatum or the Poecilotheria species.

-Exotic

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
the seven year old girl didnt die from the bite it was from the infection after
-Exotic

apidaeman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
-Exotic
Exactly secondary infection due to puncture wounds. However the vemon probably contributed as well by causing necrotic tissue at the pucture site.

Last edited:

-Exotic

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
agree on that on soo many levels lol but their has to be a sub species or specieies that can kill a human right noe its looking like the S subsnipipes ;P

Quixtar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
agree on that on soo many levels lol but their has to be a sub species or specieies that can kill a human right noe its looking like the S subsnipipes ;P
Some poor sap needs to get bitten by Scolopendra viridicornis and die for science.

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I usually don't respond to these kind of threads but, here it goes.

With the above being said, my intentions are not to offend but, to educate.

My response the question:
Since little is know about the toxicity (deadliness) of centipede venom to humans, it is hard to pinpoint which species has the most toxic venom to humans.

Sure their are reports of different side effects resulting in a centipede bite (this can be species specific but, it really depends on the individual that has been bit). Most difficulties however are due to allergies and/or infections from the wound.

That is all I could honestly tell you at the moment.

Brian

reverendsterlin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
-Exotic
same with reported T deaths, secondary infection gangrene. even scorpion deaths (death stalker) are weight related with healthy adults not having to worry.
Rev

-Exotic

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
true true i herd the S. Varadilisis (if its spelled correct)v has one punch of a bite is that true? :confused:

krabbelspinne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
now seriously:

there are so many facts which can change the effect of the venom.

1. the quantity of venom (not just the size of the animal, but also the quantity it will inject with the bite is important, and this can diversify)

2. the healthy status of the person, who gets the bite (weight, immune system, body temperature (important as if the venom is out of proteins), water balance...)

3. the composition of the venom (which is not explored securly)

4. the aggressiveness and the chance to get biten (commonness of the species, habitat,...)

so, how to say, which is the most dangerous centipede?

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i herd the S. Varadilisis (if its spelled correct)v has one punch of a bite is that true?
A friend of mine got bit by my S. Varadilisis (he ended up killing it. I was so mad because I was on vacation and he was pet sitting) and he was in alot of pain and had quite a wound on his hand but, I told him to put neosporin on it when the infected wound started giving him problems.

I truely think that he didn't wash his hands and let the wound scab over his oily hands.

The wound cleared up leaving a little scar and he even reimbursed me for my lost pet because it was his fault for toying with the centipede with the frozen mouse (which he bought). I warned him to be careful but, he didn't listen and left me with one less centipede and a reminder not to let irresponsible people care for your invertebrates.

Bottom line besides pain the bite was harmless to him.

peterbourbon

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Um...just for someone who is really only into pedes and nothing more:
What is S. Varadilisis? :?

Regards
Turgut

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
All this is untrue. I had a friend who said his cousins friends dads uncles brothers wife got bit by a 14" S. subspinipes and died instantly. Centipedes are really dangerous.... i hear a lot of this type of thing...

As far as i know... the only confirmed bite that led to a death that WASN'T from secondary infection was the little girl who got bit on her face/head/neck or wherever it was. I can honestly believe that a young child could die from S. subspinipes bite, if the child was small enough and the specimen was large enough, and/or multiple bites occurred.

I can't really go back to the story of the little girl that got bit, do we have any ACTUAL documents of the incident which prove whether it was due to actual venom or secondary infection for sure? I heard it was due to the venom in this instance, and is the only "documented" instance of it every occurring, however, where the hell is it? And supposedly she died fairly quickly after the bite which would say venom was more likely the cause.

Such a gray area isn't it?

Anyways... As far as most "dangerous" would certainly be some larger species of Scolopendra, maybe subspinipes, viridicornis, gigantea, etc. And when referring to danger with any centipede because of the inconclusive information about fatality i would say the danger would be more along the lines of huge medical bills from being in excruciating pain and going to the hospital and that sort of thing. I have heard the venom has been related to being tagged by a male platypus, much worse than a bullet ant, and wanting to amputate the bitten area because of such extreme pain... so that is definately saying something!

Just my 0.02.

CHeers

maxident213

Arachnolord
Old Timer
As far as i know... the only confirmed bite that led to a death that WASN'T from secondary infection was the little girl who got bit on her face/head/neck or wherever it was. I can honestly believe that a young child could die from S. subspinipes bite, if the child was small enough and the specimen was large enough, and/or multiple bites occurred.

I can't really go back to the story of the little girl that got bit, do we have any ACTUAL documents of the incident which prove whether it was due to actual venom or secondary infection for sure? I heard it was due to the venom in this instance, and is the only "documented" instance of it every occurring, however, where the hell is it? And supposedly she died fairly quickly after the bite which would say venom was more likely the cause.
I wish I had the documents to show more details about this, but IIRC, the little girl was bitten, and the swelling from the bite restricted/cut off the blood flow in her head, which is what led to her death. So you're right when you say it's a gray area; being bitten did cause her death, but it wasn't necessarily the venom. If she'd been bitten on the hand or foot, she likely would have survived.