What is the Longest Time Anyone's Centipede?

Pennywise

Arachnolord
Old Timer
What is the longest time anyone's pede buried itself and
remained buried without surfacing?:?

Pennywise

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Let me put this another way, I just want helpful info.

1. Does a pede bury itself for a time prior to a molt?

2. How long is this usually for? (adult pede)

3. Do pedes usually refuse food or at least ignore it during pre molt?

Any info would be welcome:?

snappleWhiteTea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm really new to keeping pedes, but i know that my scorpions refuse food. i notice that my small centipedes are hard to feed, I usually have to freeze my roaches then let them thaw to feed.

Greg Pelka

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
An adult (~23cm BL) Scolopendra galapagoensis [orange form] - about 6 months before molt.It was digged for whole time, I've just undigged few times, checking if is's still alive. Refusing food.
Another, smaller, younger species/specimens - ~month before molt.

Pennywise

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Thanks gentlemen, wow 6 months is longer than a T. In Florida the
cycles for inverts are a bit shorter in general. My house is generally
about 80 degrees farenheit. The Pedes and Ts are slightly hotter,
about 82 all summer with high humidity. My 1 1/2" pedelings are eating
every 3 days and my adult was eating twice a week but has gone under
for a week now. I think he may be in pre molt. I guess i will have to be
patient.

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Has anyone experienced this with the Barbados Centipede? And if so how long?

Violet

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I do not have enough experience to answer all of your questions fully, having only kept Centipedes for a year or so.

What I can say however is that most, if not all (?) centipedes are nocturnal or subterranean, this means your best bet for seeing them if getting up in the ealy hours of the morning (2 or 3am). Although it may seem like a centipede has been buried for weeks, the reality is that it’s still active, just at a time that is not particularly covenant for most of us.

I have found that ‘pedes will refuse food prior to molting. Another good Indication is colour change particularly in the last tergites, however I would imagine this depends on the species in question.

Hope that helps.

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I do not have enough experience to answer all of your questions fully, having only kept Centipedes for a year or so.

What I can say however is that most, if not all (?) centipedes are nocturnal or subterranean, this means your best bet for seeing them if getting up in the ealy hours of the morning (2 or 3am). Although it may seem like a centipede has been buried for weeks, the reality is that it’s still active, just at a time that is not particularly covenant for most of us.

I have found that ‘pedes will refuse food prior to molting. Another good Indication is colour change particularly in the last tergites, however I would imagine this depends on the species in question.

Hope that helps.
The color change was an indicator for molting with my pede.

super-pede

Arachnobaron
I have had a pede not come out from it's underground lair for over 5 months to my knowledge.