what is the largest scorp speices????

kingstubb

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
what about the Heterometrus spinifer,Heterometrus longimanus,Nebo hierichonticus i cant find good care sheets to find their range in length

H. cyaneus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Size or weight?

A gravid Pandinus imperator can weigh up to 40g.

An adult Heterometrus swammerdammi is the longest, I don't know the length off the top of my head though.

MIke

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I tought H. trylogyte and H. paucidens could be the longest. And altough not much research has been done P.dictator is suppose to be pretty big.

ZooRex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, I've thought Heterometrus Swammerdami was the biggest aswell. Unfortunatly they're pretty hard to comeby here in the states. ~ Rex

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have also heard that Hadogenes spp were the longest, but you also need to clarify what you are looking for here, longest or biggest in general...

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I remember reading the size difference between the largest found swammer and emp, and if I remember right, it was only around a centimeter diff. Male Hadogenes gets the longest because of that long tail, from what I've read.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Pandinus spp. are usually the biggest weight wise, but I'd say Heterometrus swammerdami is the longest.

BadBikaDamo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ooh! thats beautiful! Is he/she yours?
No, Sadly not, the photo was stolen from a post by Fusion, and is a prserved specimen, the chances of finding a real specimen are practicaly zero. This a protected genus, and lives in the Congo, thats war torn, kidnap hell, curupt, tribal, tropical Congo.

It is quite majestic though.

Damo

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That would be really cool to have a pair of those! Here's an unusually large male emp I came across in a pet store. I've posted pics of it before. I have two this size but they are both males:mad: . Hard to hold and take pics at the same time.

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
emperors hold the world record for the largest scorpions, P. dictator, despite all the hype it got recently, is NOT bigger, but in fact it is a slightly smaller pandinus spp. from a neighboring geographic region. The emperors found in the hobby are all relatively small for their species, as the only places they can currently be safely and legally exported from are the savannah regions of their range, in which they cannot attain as massive a size as they can in the rainforest. anyone willing to do a search over this much discussed topic will also find a pic i posted of a typical savannah emp(the locality found in the hobby) against a rainforest specimen, which is almost double the size of the savannah specimen. Despite its incredible size, i think that H. swammerdami has not officially overtaken P. imperator's record for the time being, however, i would say it is more than possible.

John

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
emperors hold the world record for the largest scorpions, P. dictator, despite all the hype it got recently, is NOT bigger, but in fact it is a slightly smaller pandinus spp. from a neighboring geographic region. The emperors found in the hobby are all relatively small for their species, as the only places they can currently be safely and legally exported from are the savannah regions of their range, in which they cannot attain as massive a size as they can in the rainforest. anyone willing to do a search over this much discussed topic will also find a pic i posted of a typical savannah emp(the locality found in the hobby) against a rainforest specimen, which is almost double the size of the savannah specimen. Despite its incredible size, i think that H. swammerdami has not officially overtaken P. imperator's record for the time being, however, i would say it is more than possible.

John
Hehe, was just about to mention the picture of the savannah.. quite incredible.
As for H swammerdami, neither of mine are particularly big, great species though none the less

i_like_scorps

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Here's some info on scorps:

Longest species: #1: Heterometrus swannerdami - up to 11.5 inches long

#2: Pandinus imperator - up to 9 inches

#3: Pandinus Dictator - 7.88"

Smallest species: Typhlocactus mitchelli 8.5 to 9.0 mm (less than 0.5 inches)

Heaviest species: Hadogenes troglodytes - up to 32 grams and 8.5 inches

Longest lived: Urodacus yashenkoi - up to 24 years

Worst reputation: Androctonus australis

Most dangerous poison: Leiurus quinquestriatus

Most dangerous place: Mexico, as many as 1000 people die from Scorpion sting every year.

Aztek

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They're not kidding about the people in Mexico dieing :8o :(