What Is the 'General' Rule of Thumb for Sizing Enclosures for Scorpions?

JonoPulchra

Arachnopeon
Hey,

I hate scorpions. I had a bad experience with one in Thailand which included a bathroom, a toilet and a hole in the ground. But I would like to get over my dislike by buying my first one. I know that with Ts and Mantids, the 'general' rule of thumb is an enclosure 3X the legspan of a T or 3X the height and width for a mantid. Does any such rule exist for scorpions? my searches are coming out blank. I know it is not an exact science, but as a scorpion newbie, I'd like something to go on as I build my knowledge.

I am considering buying this one as my first mainly due to the small size (and space restrictions in my home),

If any of you do suggest an enclosure size, please do not use gallons as I cannot convert that into LXWXD measurements (It's my dyscalculia mindset). I'm thinking either a 10cm or 15cm glass cube if a Liocheles australasiae is 3cm max, or does it need a bit more than this? What do you all think?

Thanks for helping.

Last edited:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Last time I had a scorpion I put it in a large clear storage container with deep substrate too burrow in . It was a rescue emperor scorpion old male didn’t live too long but I got it as an old adult . prob same cage size guidelines as tarantulas.

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
Well, instead of the legspan I would use body length, including metasoma.

10-15 cm is plenty for L. australasiae