what is the easiest pokie to keep?

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i'd like to get my first pokie sometime and i'd like to know what the easiest pokie to keep, as far as temperment and flightyness is?

also how big of an enclosure do they normally need as adults?

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, my Grammostola iheringi is more likely to bite than P. regalis. My ornata is MUCH more defensive.

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I wouldn't start out with formosa, miranda, or metallica. Not only are they expensive but they are more flighty and more likely to bite, even though they only bite if provoked. Get ornata, regalis, or pederseni, they are a little laid back and are a little easier to work around. Adults need at least a 5 gallon tank or housing.

BigHairy8's

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
IMO, I would go for the P. Regalis. They don't cost big $$$, they are pretty tough as far as pokies go and for the most part, I won't say all, are more on the calmer side than say the P. Oranata. They are fast, so be careful! Enjoy.:D

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hello!! Long time no see :)

Despite what you hear, there really isnt much difference in any of them IME. I would recommend to pick out whichever one you like (or can afford) and go with it.
Pokes are waaaaaaaaay over rated in terms of aggressive behavior. Sure, any of them would bit if provoked but none are going to chase you down to bite LOL.
You have been at this long enuff that you can handle keeping any of them I'm sure ;)

TTstinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello!! Long time no see :)

Despite what you hear, there really isnt much difference in any of them IME. I would recommend to pick out whichever one you like (or can afford) and go with it.
Pokes are waaaaaaaaay over rated in terms of aggressive behavior. Sure, any of them would bit if provoked but none are going to chase you down to bite LOL.
You have been at this long enuff that you can handle keeping any of them I'm sure ;)
I agree with brian on this they are all more or less the same only diff is price and color. I personally love the regalis here is a pic of my 3 in female keeping fingers crossed

Psych0

Arachnopeon
Anyway can we sort the pokies by temperment? I know that it varies much between individuals. But somehow...

mitchrobot

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
a p.regalis was one of my first Ts, not difficult to care for really, and mine hasnt been defensive at all. it usually hide in its burrow/web thing when it gets scared. my psalmos are waaaay more defesive, i get a threat display from my irminia whenever i mist the tank it lives in.

i would get an ornata though. mine is always out, not shy at all. theyre also pretty affordable. ;)

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Of all of my pokies I would say my P. miranda is the least defensive. I spent a good 15 minutes trying to get a threat display out of her (for a photo contest) and no matter how much I prodded at her all she did was pull her knees over her face and try to hide. The only time I ever saw a threat display was when she took off across the floor and I put a deli cup in front of her. It scared her and she gave me a half hearted threat before going into the cup.

Actually none of mine are really defensive at all, they are all rather skittish, but that's about it. I have P. formosa, miranda, pederseni, rufilata, ornata, metallica and have had regalis. I think I remember a threat display from one pederseni juvi, but I can't really remember. The rufilata seem to be the ones that hide the most, as does my miranda, the rest are out and about more often.

I agree with Brian, whichever one you like the look of the most would be a good one to get, just keep in mind that P. rufilata and P. ornata are most likely going to be a little larger than the others. Also, they are very fast so it is a good idea to always have a catch cup ready if you are working with them out of their cages. :)

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would get a P. regalis or P. rufilata. I love both of mine! I have them in 10 gallon tanks placed on end. I think with the bigger pokies this seems to be a nice size enclosure. My adult female regalis walks around her enclosure a lot in the middle of the night. I'm sure you could house them in a 5 gallon, but I like having the extra space for when I have to do enclosure maintenance.

harrypei

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What would be the point in doing that? There isnt much difference between them
agreed. i keep the 10 pokie species that i have the same. and i really can't tell any difference in temperment and/or behaviors.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yup, i have several pokies aswell, and yeah they pretty much act the same way,for me that is. i treat them with the most respect:)

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
P. miranda, P. rufilata i think are the easiest, at least for me...P. metallica and regalis not 2 far behind them

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
well, i haven't had many species... but so far both my adult female regalis and ornata have been through at least one winter (bug room gets between 50-65*F for ~3 months and one summer (bug room stays between 85-100*F for ~2-3 months) with me and both have molted fine and i have gotten viables from the regalis (haven't bred the ornata yet) so both those species can have fairly tough specimens in them

bearing in mind i have a single adult female of each, the ornata will always run away if i make a noise in my room... but i do see her out in her burrow's entryway, fully exposed, a decent amount. my regalis is much calmer. i do cage work with her right next to me and she stays put or slowly walks away.

i had both in ~1 gallon plastic jugs when i was growing them but moved them to critter keeper type cages of about ~10G equiv volume so that i can breed them. you don't really need to do the tilting on its side thing unless *you* want to.

oh, i have pics in a dif thread i can link to
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=95571

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=78891

Last edited: