what is the appeal in keeping tarantulas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
The difference between this and most of the posts Ive seen asking about the appeal of true spiders, is that the latter are mostly open minded discussions where people are genuinely looking to get motivated to start true spider keeping. This is, for the most part, belittling T keepers by saying how much more a true spider can do compared to how boring T's are.
Literally name one thing in the universe more subjective than personal interests. Nobody finds the exact same things entertaining as someone else, and it's no different with this discussion. I find T's absolutely fascinating compared with regular web builders, but despite me having literally no interest in keeping them I don't spend my time bagging others that do. My favourite group is actually trapdoors, which many say are arguably the most boring invertebrates to keep since you rarely see them. But I appreciate that those who do think such keep to themselves and don't throw a wet blanket over my interests

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Each to their own applies very well here. You asked why there is an appeal to keeping tarantulas; you got an answer(s). I think that is all that is needed. True spiders are beautiful to many. Tarantulas are beautiful to many. We are both united under the same banner of "Invertebrate Enthusiasts", and I sure hope each of us would turn out to march together against a ban of either group being allowed to be kept in captivity for whatever reason. We do not need to divide each other over something so small as one's preferences.
We have all cherry picked at some point, religion, politics, even invertebrate keeping, so we really can't narrow this down to one group or one person.

That's all I have to say.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Tarantulas are giant spiders. What more of an appeal could there possibly be? o_O Although tarantulas are more interesting in nature. When you tickle the entrance of a small hole in the ground with a piece of dry grass and see a giant hairy spider come out, it's nothing less than a jaw-dropping experience.

Last edited:

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Tarantulas are fuzzy and big.
I like true spiders though. My garden is overrun with orb weavers currently. I have 2 black widows in my garden box.
I can see true spiders out in nature and let then enjoy their natural life. I like that.
Tarantulas, no they don't live where I live. So they live in enclosures in my cabinet. :happy:

It's totally fine to have your own opinion. I mean, it's like hot Cheetos. How gross, I think. Yet many people just love them.

Tuisto

Arachnosquire
True spiders can be pretty ugly but also completely gorgeous.
I've yet to see a Tarantula that wasn't at the very least cute. Obviously its all subjective but if you wanna play the VS game, feel free to put your widows in any T enclosure ;)

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I still have not had 1 real answer yet. What is the appeal in keeping tarantulas?
I like both tarantulas, other Mygalomprphs AND araenomorphae aka all true spiders! But tarantulas are my favourite spiders over all! Why I dont really know? They have treats that i like! They are big, have more primitive fangs that work vertically and other things. It is hard to say why you like one type of spider better. Its like peopld who like plants. Some like cactus and some like orchids!

Tarantulas have been around on the earth for much longer time than true spiders so i would not call them fragile! A G rosea can be withiut food for 2 years. A true spider cant! Many speicies doesnt even live that long!

Last edited by a moderator:

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
Typhochlaena seladonia. I do believe the southern/western black widow is more beautiful.
Are you joking L Mactans is just a black and red widow that looks the same as the other 90% of them out there. T Seledonia it completely unique and you’re saying you like quality over quantity all widows look that similar it’s gawna look like you’re keeping loads of the 1 spider = quantity over quality

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
And about that statement that "Red backs" kills tarantulas. Yes they can if they manage to bite it, but i can asure you. Throw in a Red back spider into my "bad to the bone" Phormictopus atrichomatus enclosure. That red back would be owned!

But seriously, this is not a competition which is best. Tarantulas, or true spiders! Both groups are awesome in their own way! It is meerly a matter of taste. Some people finds tarantulas the most intresting. Some finds true spiders more intresting. Some people like both equally much! I like all spiders. But in keeping regards, as a hobby. I like tarantulas best!

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
I've decided from now on I'm gonna call this kind of stuff "one-day wonders". Members that somehow manage to prompt all the above reactions in less than a single day after joining

Tuisto

Arachnosquire
I've decided from now on I'm gonna call this kind of stuff "one-day wonders". Members that somehow manage to prompt all the above reactions in less than a single day after joining
Times like this call for some heavy bass playing. :smug:

triangulation

Arachnopeon
Are you joking L Mactans is just a black and red widow that looks the same as the other 90% of them out there. T Seledonia it completely unique and you’re saying you like quality over quantity all widows look that similar it’s gawna look like you’re keeping loads of the 1 spider = quantity over quality
Not joking. There is literally no comparison to me if you wanna talk beauty, uniqueness, elegance. In my view you are 100% the one who has displayed quantity over quality. I already knew about that tarantula type. I do understand this is subjective though.

Tarantulas have been around on the earth for much longer time than true spiders so i would not call them fragile! A G rosea can be withiut food for 2 years. A true spider cant! Many speicies doesnt even live that long!
True spiders have shorter natural lifespans but their lives are more admirable, and shorter natural lifespan doesn't change the fact that the true web spiders are more durable, elusive, brave, adaptable, sophisticated, and game. they usually have honorable deaths. they live their lives with more quality and bang.

a tarantula can die just by falling a short distance. or from mundane things. they act like scaredy cats in my opinion sometimes whereas the true web spiders will go after almost anything even bigger than itself.

And about that statement that "Red backs" kills tarantulas. Yes they can if they manage to bite it, but i can asure you. Throw in a Red back spider into my "bad to the bone" Phormictopus atrichomatus enclosure. That red back would be owned!

But seriously, this is not a competition which is best. Tarantulas, or true spiders! Both groups are awesome in their own way! It is meerly a matter of taste. Some people finds tarantulas the most intresting. Some finds true spiders more intresting. Some people like both equally much! I like all spiders. But in keeping regards, as a hobby. I like tarantulas best!
I would take you up on your offer. My black widows regularly eats scorpions and tarantulas that I buy for feed. She is elusive as any.

And I do agree both are awesome in their own way. It is a matter of taste.

True spiders can be pretty ugly but also completely gorgeous.
I've yet to see a Tarantula that wasn't at the very least cute. Obviously its all subjective but if you wanna play the VS game, feel free to put your widows in any T enclosure ;)
all true spiders are beautiful

tarantulas are sloppy looking

and maybe I have ;) shes still doing ok. thanks for your response and opinion

What would you suggest as a first 'true' spider?
Latrodectus variolus

Last edited by a moderator:

Kitara

Arachnodemon
Wow. I had no idea this was such a trigger topic. :rofl: It is definitely funny to observe. Breast vs bottle, carnivore vs vegetarian, vax vs nonvax... every forum has their trigger posts. I just didn"t realize "true" vs tarantula would be one.

/hijack Carry on.

sasker

Arachnoprince
your tarantulas got size on my true spiders, but my true spiders got the quality.
As spoken by 'The Dude' Lebowski: "That's like, well, your opinion, man."

you guys shouldn't complain about me making this thread when you tarantula fans made the same exact thread in our territory
Yes, we should complain. This thread is going nowhere and has reached the level of 'My daddy is stronger than yours'. Opinions are like ani, everyone has one. Doesn't mean that one's opinion is better than someone else's. And stating one's opinion as fact doesn't change that.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
If you ask me it's an issue of 'quantity and convenience' Vs 'quality'... not 'appeal' at all my man.

For instance, when someone is broke and hungry, a Megaphobema robustum adult 0.1 sandwich (with a bit of salt, butter and just an 'hint' of Italian extra virgin olive oil) gives the energy for survive another day, more than a Loxosceles rufescens 'sushi' plate.

Now the above is only an example about mere Calorie, eh, because both are great recipes :)

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I really dont understand what OP is hoping to achieve? I think the whole thread is pretty immature! All have diffrent tastes and intrest! My mom likes dogs, i dont! I would not dream of criticise her for that!

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I thought it would be a fun thread with jokes and camaraderie and such, us all being spider - keepers and such. But it looks like OP just had an itch to dish out disagree-ratings. Which is a bit sad. Unwatching this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.