what is the appeal in keeping tarantulas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think you edited your first response and made it sound differently. I was just responding to what you said in first response

and okay I understand thank you for that.
Except I did NOT edit my first response - as can be plainly seen by comparing the response itself to your quote of my response.

Whatever. If that's the way you want to play it, I'm done wasting my time with you.

triangulation

Arachnopeon
Except I did NOT edit my first response - as can be plainly seen by comparing the response itself to your quote of my response.

Whatever. If that's the way you want to play it, I'm done wasting my time with you.
then my mistake I have some dyslexia going on and new to this forum format. I usually lurk. I have got what I needed already with the responses. just wanted to understand the other side.

tanks!

Gogyeng

Arachnobaron
I still have not had 1 real answer yet. What is the appeal in keeping tarantulas?
I too like true spiders, but I think you can't compare different worlds. Within what they are, they do wonders in their own ways. Below, I see my subjective impressions, to be taken with a pinch of salt:
What features you don't value of tarantulas? Longevity ? Not looking at nocturnal locomotion, I found it always mesmerizing, The easiness to breed and feed? (I hate to maintain flies for my salticids, but the juveniles prefer them over mealworms, tarantulas on the other hand are not picky eaters). Fragility? Well, that vary amongst genus, but many T.s e.g OBTs are rock solid...and you don't need to feed an adult every other day, they can go longer time without a meal. Toughness, I would say is were Ts can win.

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
I keep both Ts and true spiders and see the positive in both so can’t really say when you’re asking about the vs, but to answer the question in the title it’s there colours combined with size and bulk that attracts me to them, n it’s a Tarantula enough said

Tortuga

Arachnoknight
yeah. ended up trading her for a couple black widows. I wasn't into it. What is the appeal in keeping tarantulas for you? im just curious
Just curious, which species did you keep? Maybe ya just got the wrong one for your personal tastes, ya know?

Observing tarantulas, even with my limited experience, can be hilarious! The epic and timeless battles with water dishes alone...I think you’re missing out my friend.

I’m willing to bet with all the bright minds on the AB, surely someone would be able to suggest a species that would entice your interests.

triangulation

Arachnopeon
I too like true spiders, but I think you can't compare different worlds. Within what they are, they do wonders in their own ways. Below, I see my subjective impressions, to be taken with a pinch of salt:
What features you don't value of tarantulas? Longevity ? Not looking at nocturnal locomotion, I found it always mesmerizing, The easiness to breed and feed? (I hate to maintain flies for my salticids, but the juveniles prefer them over mealworms, tarantulas on the other hand are not picky eaters). Fragility? Well, that vary amongst genus, but many T.s e.g OBTs are rock solid...and you don't need to feed an adult every other day, they can go longer time without a meal. Toughness, I would say is were Ts can win.
True spiders are definitely tougher. Tarantulas seem really soft and can die extremely easily. their bodies are not as elusive. Ive kept tarantula before. Black widows will go after a bigger prey and fight and attack.

true spiders are like a comet. may not live a naturally long life but their elegance is amazing. and in that short life they are beastly

I keep both Ts and true spiders and see the positive in both so can’t really say when you’re asking about the vs, but to answer the question in the title it’s there colours combined with size and bulk that attracts me to them, n it’s a Tarantula enough said
thanks for your opinions. wow I got a lot of responses. wasn't expecting.

I will just say my position is - quality over quantity

Last edited by a moderator:

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Tarantulas come in WAY more colours than any true spider, though the patterning on the Latrodectus is pretty neat looking. I also think tarantulas show more "individuality" than true spiders (besides jumpers).

triangulation

Arachnopeon
Typhochlaena seladonia. I do believe the southern/western black widow is more beautiful.

I keep a brown widow, black widow, triangulate cobweb over and over and over. and it never gets old. I m in love with these true spiders!

Tortuga

Arachnoknight
Tarantulas come in WAY more colours than any true spider, though the patterning on the Latrodectus is pretty neat looking. I also think tarantulas show more "individuality" than true spiders (besides jumpers).
Bad argument, you’re cherry picking. Not trying to be a jerk, you’re argument is self defeating, just sayin.

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
I keep tarantulas for the ladies. Fact! You are 10 times more likely to get a chick over by saying I have a big hairy Theraphosa stirmi over at my place rather than some small widow or orb weaver spider you can come look at.

triangulation

Arachnopeon
I keep tarantulas for the ladies. Fact! You are 10 times more likely to get a chick over by saying I have a big hairy Theraphosa stirmi over at my place rather than some small widow or orb weaver spider you can come look at.
you lacking ?lol jk thats pretty funny. but i do believe people have pets just simply based on size. again i take a quality over quanitity approach, everyones different.

P.S. there is no spider with the great reputation that the black widow has

that is pretty amazing

thanks for the amazing pic turtle. but I have to ask - can the tarantula burst upside down on prey with the webbing?
from all angles looking like its flying through the air? to be be able to move its body in so many ways with the webbing?

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Bad argument, you’re cherry picking. Not trying to be a jerk, you’re argument is self defeating, just sayin.
Cherry picking in just stating my preferences. It would be cherry picking if I said "Tarantulas only do X", flying in the face of evidence to the opposite. Cherry picking is what Christians do with ignoring all the "bad" parts of the Bible. Only showing a 'contrived' situation in their argument. I really don't think saying tarantulas are more colourful or that they have amazing little quirks to them (which honestly is probably true of most other spiders too, I suppose) so I'll amend my statement to say I enjoy tarantulas' personalities and I don't know if I'd enjoy true spider's 'personalities' as much. But hey, maybe I would. ;)

Tortuga

Arachnoknight
thanks for the amazing pic turtle. but I have to ask - can the tarantula burst upside down on prey with the webbing?
from all angles looking like its flying through the air? to be be able to move its body in so many ways with the webbing?
I won’t pretend I can answer that question(s), but not all webbing true spiders behave that way either. If you’re a purest, I get that and we can debate till the cows come home and get no where. But if you’re not a purest, it wouldn’t hurt you to expand your horizons a little.

Minty

@londontarantulas
That's a bias point of view. :rolleyes:

But it's understandable to like somethings over others.
Very biased indeed.

For me, I’d just say, “LOOK AT THEM!”

They’re big, small, hairy, colourful, dull, mental, and chilled out.

triangulation

Arachnopeon
I don't know if I'd enjoy true spider's 'personalities' as much. But hey, maybe I would. ;)
come to the dark side

I won’t pretend I can answer that question(s), but not all webbing true spiders behave that way either. If you’re a purest, I get that and we can debate till the cows come home and get no where. But if you’re not a purest, it wouldn’t hurt you to expand your horizons a little.
ok, thank you

Tortuga

Arachnoknight
Cherry picking in just stating my preferences. It would be cherry picking if I said "Tarantulas only do X", flying in the face of evidence to the opposite. Cherry picking is what Christians do with ignoring all the "bad" parts of the Bible. Only showing a 'contrived' situation in their argument. I really don't think saying tarantulas are more colourful or that they have amazing little quirks to them (which honestly is probably true of most other spiders too, I suppose) so I'll amend my statement to say I enjoy tarantulas' personalities and I don't know if I'd enjoy true spider's 'personalities' as much. But hey, maybe I would. ;)
Cheery picking is selecting or excluding facts to support your argument. It doesn’t matter what topic you’re discussing, tarantulas, religion or whatever. If you say X is better than Y and then exclude a variable that is part of Y, you’re cherry picking.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.