What is "Tanzanian Gold?"

james41777

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm a beginner on scorpions, and I 've been to a local pet shop lately and they have this scorpion called "Tanzanian Gold."
It was about 1.5~2 inches, and sorry i don't have a picture of it.
Any idea of what its scientific name would be great, and care tips about it would be even better.

Thanks,

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
common names are useless, probly and Imperator or cavimanus, something like that

ANTHONY.T

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Pandinus cavimanus is Tanzanian redclaw
For me it's Hottentotta trinileatus because origin of the Tanzanian and your usual name is "Gold ground scorpion" but no Pandinus species ;)

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I can actually answer this question with a fair degree of probability. One of the major wholesalers in Canada currently has Hottentotta sp. under this badge.

Cheers,
Dave

icefish

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i am assuming that the Tanzania gold might be Opistophthalmus sp. (probably boehmi)!!!! Pics will work!!!

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I will not go beyond Hottentotta sp. on this one because there are at least three look-alike species that come from Tanzania -- plus the fact that animals from surrounding countries often get exported from there.

However, the fact that a major Canadian wholesaler has them available under that name and has for the last 6 months -- plus the fact that they just went on sale -- would seem to indicate a high probability that they are Hottentotta. You can always check by asking the store where you find them. I ensured that the wholesaler put the latin on their stock list, so if you get the store to check, they will be able to find out. Or you can just go to the scorpion files and look at some pictures of Hottentotta trilineatus, polystictus, emini etc. and compare them to what you see.

Cheers,
Dave