What is something regarding tarantulas that's widely agreed upon on this site that you personally disagree with?

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Counterpoint: I don't use coco/peat moss for my Idiothele mira. I have them on a topsoil/clay mix, which is excellent for maintaining structural integrity of burrows, yet 2/4 of them were slow to burrow. (They've all burrowed now with proper trapdoors.)
Counter-counterpoint: that's great, I'm glad to see some others are trying to use other substrate methods for such species. But the main point I'm getting at is not necessarily specifically targeted at I.mira housing, its more that I'd love to see much more varied and species specific care being used for all genera. As someone who has dealt with a large number of nearly exclusively fossorials, I've come to observe no 2 genera or species groups will want the exact same soil composition. My 24 hour rule is my way of fine tuning my mixtures until I arrive at one where both I and my spooders are happy. Even clay based mixtures are not always right and sometimes ill have to scrap them and restart (definitely not fun after mixing it up!).

I will also admit that IME, slings of most lid builders I'm aware of do adjust to loose mixes better than adults and eventually refuse to burrow in anything except what they've grown up living in. But I'm not a big fan of reconditioning something to abandon its natural instincts when I know it could be happier and live more naturally in more appropriate substrates.

Timc

Arachnosquire
Usually people say avicularinae (instead of Aviculariinae) when they mean the Caribena, Avic, Ybrapora, Iridopelma, Pachistopelma, Typhochlaena and Antilla.

Idk if it's a misspelling or if it's our hobby word.
Oh it’s super nit picky of me to even care but when I read it I’m like “WhAt AbOuT EpHoBoPuS??” It’s really just a pet peeve.

Marlana

Arachnoknight
That supplemental heat is unnecessary and dangerous. For every species, period. That’s just not true. And I think we dumb down humidity too much by saying it’s completely unnecessary and don’t worry about it. I totally understand why but again, it does play a role.

Oh it’s super nit picky of me to even care but when I read it I’m like “WhAt AbOuT EpHoBoPuS??” It’s really just a pet peeve.
I totally have done this, oops. I think it’s because I mainly keep the arboreal Aviculariinae (which most of them are). So when explaining my ventilation in a typhochlaena enclosure I’ll say ‘ventilation is the same as my other Aviculariinae’. For example.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
What about Stromatopelma too

Interestingly my ephebopus sling is more arboreal than any of my psalmo or tapi slings, but I hear they become fossorial in adulthood. It would be neat to see some footage of how ephebopus live in the wild

Marlana

Arachnoknight
What about Stromatopelma too

Interestingly my ephebopus sling is more arboreal than any of my psalmo or tapi slings, but I hear they become fossorial in adulthood. It would be neat to see some footage of how ephebopus live in the wild
Wait doesn’t psalmo have their own subfamily now? Along with ephebopus?Psalmopoeinae subfamily? Or is that a subfamily of Aviculariinae? 🤔

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
Wait doesn’t psalmo have their own subfamily now? Along with ephebopus?Psalmopoeinae subfamily? Or is that a subfamily of Aviculariinae? 🤔
Pretty sure it's because they're all genetically closely related to a common ancestor (Stromatopelma?)

But I haven't researched subfamilies very much

You'd want to read this if you're interested, I'm not finished reading it.

zeeman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Live is cooler and I don't care.
What is "cooler" about it? If the tarantula's venomous bite killed the prey that'd be one thing, to my knowledge it does not and thus leads to a painful death purely for the sake of your amusement.

It speaks volumes to take pleasure in an animal's suffering.

USNGunner

Arachnosquire
What is "cooler" about it? If the tarantula's venomous bite killed the prey that'd be one thing, to my knowledge it does not and thus leads to a painful death purely for the sake of your amusement.

It speaks volumes to take pleasure in an animal's suffering.
Well, frankly given that roaches eat each other, I'm not completely sympathetic. I do have to say that the stalking and take downs are impressive. And naturalistic. Yes they will forage, but prey wandering into their kill zones is the more typical for a juvenile and adult T I would say.

And that last sentence is a little judgemental don't you think? Not cool. :(

Last edited:

YungRasputin

Arachnobaron
may not be a point of disagreement specific to the forum, moreso YouTube but leaving the enclosure’s doors wide open while not actively doing something within the enclosure itself eg: walking to the opposite side of the room, blabbering on about something and so on and so on

particularly with species like Poecilotheria, M. balfouri, etc which are lightning fast - this is just arrogant negligence born out of misplaced comfortability and i think I can speak for the T’s when I say, were you born in a barn?

USNGunner

Arachnosquire
may not be a point of disagreement specific to the forum, moreso YouTube but leaving the enclosure’s doors wide open while not actively doing something within the enclosure itself eg: walking to the opposite side of the room, blabbering on about something and so on and so on
Oh yeah, this. I sit there yelling "close the enclosure dumbarse!" But then again I am telling folks "don't open the door, don't do, just run now!" when watching horror movies. :rofl:

On one video by the dim room guy, he lost a P. Subfusca. On another one the T. took of when we went for substrate. Took him awhile to find that one. :rolleyes:

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Another thing that drives me bonkers, is the continued insistence that Brachypelma, Grammostola, Tliltocatl, and Aphonopelma require dry substrate. Especially when people still think Tliltocatl require dry substrate. Do they tolerate it dry, yes. Does moist substrate kill or stress them? Absolutely NOT.

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
The disagreements I had, I've aleady discussed. What I've noticed, though, is that lots of keepers in here (labels like "old timer" or "arachnosupporter", etc., aside) are contraditory. In one post, they something, in other with subject related, they say another thing. Made up your minds, folks.
May the best shoe fits you.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Timc

Arachnosquire

particularly with species like Poecilotheria, M. balfouri, etc which are lightning fast - this is just arrogant negligence born out of misplaced comfortability and i think I can speak for the T’s when I say, were you born in a barn?
Couldn’t agree more, my enclosures are open the absolute minimum amount of time. Just long enough to to feed or remove a bolus or molt. It might be over cautious but I have a cat, a dog and a girlfriend; I don’t want any of them meeting my spoods lol.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Couldn’t agree more, my enclosures are open the absolute minimum amount of time. Just long enough to to feed or remove a bolus or molt. It might be over cautious but I have a cat, a dog and a girlfriend; I don’t want any of them meeting my spoods lol.
I feel you there! Having an OW decide to suddenly make a run for it is not good. My dog is very mischievous and loves to get into things...and chase bugs! Having one of those spiders escape and running loose in the house could be very dangerous for both her and the spider.

Timc

Arachnosquire
I feel you there! Having an OW decide to suddenly make a run for it is not good. My dog is very mischievous and loves to get into things...and chase bugs! Having one of those spiders escape and running loose in the house could be very dangerous for both her and the spider.
Plus, say it’s just me and the Ts, one bolts and gets out of sight; maybe YouTubeers have time to chase spiders around all those shelves, but I don’t. Lock that jawn up man lol

Scp682

Arachnoknight
???

It has nothing to do with air flow across the animal, you’re correct!

Avic husbandry by many is done by chasing humidity numbers because every stupid “care sheet” reads with those.

Over time people killed lots of Avics due to the above.

People confuse humidity and think that means a box should be really moist inside- not true. But as they do this, the box’s air gets moist/stuffy because there’s little venting for foul air to escape =‘s dead Avic

I’ve been critter hunting in tropical rain forests, they are not stuffy per se, air is circulating.

Thriving Avics is not about dry boxes, but providing air that is not moist/stuffy.

The US market has one main way for this, the EU market has a different method for this.

Each reach the same goal.
Ur just gonna pretend bearded dragons don't exist ok 🙄

gothmoth

Arachnopeon
Just here to say I'm loving this thread and I hope more people contribute! Been keeping various inverts for 2-3 years now and I'm still not sure what I'm doing sometimes, so I'm loving this! Also seeing you all debunk various things I believed religiously as a newbie a few years ago is refreshing. if I hear one more person yell at me, telling me I'm killing my old man curly hair when i mist the foliage in his enclosure, I'll scream!
(he had a water dish for a while, but seemed to only come out to drink when i misted the leaves so, the old man gets what the old man wants)