What is on my B. Vagans sling?

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
I recently noticed some brown crusty stuff on one of my B. Vagans slings. I havent noticed any unusual behavior from the sling, but I wanted to see what people thought the stuff could be. I don't think it's possible that the sling fell because it's in a very small enclosure about the size of a condiment cup, but its a plastic "lockit"container. Does it just look like dried substrate? Will it molt off or could this be a problem for molting?

Attachments

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Does it just look like dried substrate? Will it molt off or could this be a problem for molting?
It looks similar to some of the substrate in your enclosure. If it is substrate, I would not worry: it will either fall of on its own or come off with the next molt.

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
It looks similar to some of the substrate in your enclosure. If it is substrate, I would not worry: it will either fall of on its own or come off with the next molt.
What would cause the substrate to dry on the abdomen like that? Should the substrate be a little more moist to prevent this?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
What would cause the substrate to dry on the abdomen like that? Should the substrate be a little more moist to prevent this?
Worst-case scenario: the tarantula is injured and the substrate stuck to the wound.

However, I have seen substrate (not dried on but just clinging for whatever reason) on my uninjured pulchra for no obvious reason. I assume it got on her while she was dozing or something.

Should the substrate be a little more moist to prevent this?
How big is the sling?

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
It does appear to be a bit substrate to me. Maybe use a paintbrush and gently brush it off. Or leave it be, looks to be in premolt anyway.

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
It does appear to be a bit substrate to me. Maybe use a paintbrush and gently brush it off. Or leave it be, looks to be in premolt anyway.
It's taken all of my strength not to clean it off with a paintbrush or something. I was worried I'd hurt it or stress it.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Probably just got some mealworm guts on it, then the sub stuck to that. Looks to be in super heavy premolt, it'll molt just fine and be clean :).

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
My B. emilia has been walking around with a clump of dirt on her abdomen since she molted six months ago... some individuals are cleaner than others :p

cold blood

Staff member
Where's Hobo these days, he used to like to jump onto these kinds of threads.

Answer: poop

Your t pooped and managed, as they sometimes do, to be clumsy and rub onto its own fresh doo doo...the sticky doo doo caused the substrate to stick to the area.