What is normal scorpion behavior?

Fishforbass23

Arachnopeon
I just brought home a dictator scorpion and it keeps trying to climb the glass and keeps falling over and then falls off its hide and rolls over. Is this normal or will it hurt the scorpion to keep falling and rolling?

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
It doesn't know it's in a glass tank lol it's going to continue to wander around and crawl everything. It's normal

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Scorpions will do this frequently when they are introduced into a new enclosure. It will settle down and burrow shortly. If you are concerned with the tumbles it takes, you can either raise the substrate level or partially submerge the hide more (depress or dig out substrate directly underneath the hide though) eliminating that height. I had to raise my substrate but dug out a depression at the entrances of both my hides. My AFS slid sideways off the glass and performed a Olympiad class cartwheel off its hide (end over end), and then it sat perfectly statuesque for like a full five minutes. I felt so bad for it. No injuries as the cocofiber is soft. But that was not going to happen again.

Fishforbass23

Arachnopeon
Here is a pic of the raised substrate (AFS blocked up its hide I hope it's going to molt soon):
Yea i took the pot out but might add it again later to where he wont fall or get another hide. When i came home from church i turned the light on and he was in his cave then came out as if too see me then went about exploring again. I guess he likes it.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Yea i took the pot out but might add it again later to where he wont fall or get another hide. When i came home from church i turned the light on and he was in his cave then came out as if too see me then went about exploring again. I guess he likes it.
Yeah, a second cool hide in just in case they overheat in the warm hide. I doubt mine will ever use it because the warm hide measures six inches and may have a proper temperature gradient in of itself. But I am definitely not going to deny it a cool retreat especially since I live in SoCal. And he is eventually going to outgrow these hides and I will need to refurnish with larger hides.

There are ways to decrease the height of the pot or get it another less tall hide.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I just brought home a dictator scorpion and it keeps trying to climb the glass and keeps falling over and then falls off its hide and rolls over. Is this normal or will it hurt the scorpion to keep falling and rolling?
Once they get settled in normal behavior for them is to hide for 80% of the time.