What is my T doing?

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
I got this little buddy about 10 days ago. It has mostly stayed in its hide or sits on top of the hide. Every night I fill it's water and every night it dumps it or fills the bottle cap with substrate. It's good at doing typical T type stuff like this. Anyways, today I notice that it has dumped it's water and has buried itself in the soaked substrate. Could this be because it needs more humidity? I keep it on dry substrate with the bottle cap water dish always full. I think this T is about 1.5" but honestly I havent measured it, so I'm only guessing.

The pics show the enclosure it's in. The top one is the one I'm using for this T. Also you can see from the pics that this little T is head down & booty up in the wet substrate. BTW, this is a G. Pulchripes :)

So my question is whether it's doing this for more moisture/humidity or just because it's being a typical T doing typical T type stuff. Do I need to change something or just keep doing what I'm doing?

Attachments

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Is she ready to molt?:confused: She's dark and plump enough. My G. pulcripes buried herself in damper substrate. She came out 3Xs bigger!
Yours doesn't want it soaked, but damp is good when she's little.
@cold blood could tell you lots.

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
Is she ready to molt?:confused: She's dark and plump enough. My G. pulcripes buried herself in damper substrate. She came out 3Xs bigger!
Yours doesn't want it soaked, but damp is good when she's little.
@cold blood could tell you lots.
I got this one from @cold blood and he said it molted 3 weeks before he sent it to me, so a little over a month ago it molted. It has eaten 2 crickets since being in my care with its last cricket just yesterday.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
I got this one from @cold blood and he said it molted 3 weeks before he sent it to me, so a little over a month ago it molted. It has eaten 2 crickets since being in my care with its last cricket just yesterday.
Well...hum. Maybe it's just doing a T thing to make you crazy. I wouldn't worry about her right now. Tag @cold blood. BTW, my beast is your sac mate.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Could very well be going to ground for molting again at this size. I'd just fill its dish again and put it in another spot in the enclosure. :)

Graves6661

Arachnosquire
Tarantulas do weird things all the time for no reason known to us. I've learned to just let them do what they want.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I have 4 of these. I water them 3 times a week. They usually kick it over within a day of being watered no matter where it's placed and how well I set it into the substrate. I keep an eye on the substrate and if it is getting too wet I'll back off how much I fill the water. You don't want soggy substrate. Mine have never tunneled but they do like to move dirt around. They will often hide by cramming themselves in the tight crevices they make by shifting dirt. Just like your T is doing there.

Your T seems to be doing fine and on par with what I have seen with my 4 of the same species.

cold blood

Staff member
Could be molting, but i douvt it.

When their enclosures get dry, i do moisten an area of sub....the species isnt as averse to moisture as many are led to believe.

I will say, putting it in a larger enclosure like that is fine, but the t will burrow and hide a lot more.

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
I will say, putting it in a larger enclosure like that is fine, but the t will burrow and hide a lot more.
Im not opposed to smaller enclosures, I just haven't been able to find any hides that fit small enclosures, so currently the size enclosure is chosen to fit the hide. What do you use in a 16 oz deli cup for a hide?

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
So this morning around 5:30 am he (I think this one is male- but in reality I have no clue) was walking around his enclosure. He dug a nice size whole where it was tucked away last night and the dug out area remains. I will keep filling his water and he can do his T stuff all he wants with it. Its quite amusing. I just wanted to make sure he wasn't trying to soak up some moisture through the wet substrate.

I don't think he is ready to molt yet. He is still eating and was only buried in that spot for part of one day and night before he moved along to doing something else.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Im not opposed to smaller enclosures, I just haven't been able to find any hides that fit small enclosures, so currently the size enclosure is chosen to fit the hide. What do you use in a 16 oz deli cup for a hide?
On my deli cups I locate a piece of cork bark with a flat top and hot melt one side of it to the cup so it won't shift around if the T digs or you accidentally bump the cup. I then hollow out a place below it so that area can be the burrow hide. In this case the T can also sit on top of its hide (over and under).

cold blood

Staff member
I just use a small piece of wood...although 99% of them cover it up and never used them....so if you looked in now, it would look like most didnt have hides. If they want to hide, they know how to burrow.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
So this morning around 5:30 am he (I think this one is male- but in reality I have no clue) was walking around his enclosure. He dug a nice size whole where it was tucked away last night and the dug out area remains. I will keep filling his water and he can do his T stuff all he wants with it. Its quite amusing. I just wanted to make sure he wasn't trying to soak up some moisture through the wet substrate.

I don't think he is ready to molt yet. He is still eating and was only buried in that spot for part of one day and night before he moved along to doing something else.
I also got mine from @cold blood as well. They have acted like bulldozers quite often. I had to stop using tall water vials in lieu of plastic caps for them because they would fill the vial full of substrate like you are saying. These are great T's. Everyone should own a G. Pulchripes.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I just use a small piece of wood...although 99% of them cover it up and never used them....so if you looked in now, it would look like most didnt have hides. If they want to hide, they know how to burrow.
Mine also rarely use their hide.