What is it?

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a little wild caught avic that has a very odd shaped abdomen, this has developed over the last month or so. I'm wondering if it may be a parasite or??

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yeah...im going to go with a parasite. it looks like an Avic. Avic. WC specimen that i had, and it did have a parsite. it got worse so i eventually stuck her in the freezer. but who knows? maybe its not. just keep an eye on it (and im sure you will) and if it gets worse then you can make the decision on whether or not to euthanize. but hopefully youll get extremely lucky and it wont turn out to be a parasite...but like i said...the odds are it is.

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I figured it probably was but will continue to watch her until either she pops or starts to act sick. She is still eating, webbing and acting normal.
Should I have her separate from my other T's? If it is a parasite how long until its ready to emerge?

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I figured it probably was but will continue to watch her until either she pops or starts to act sick. She is still eating, webbing and acting normal.
Should I have her separate from my other T's? If it is a parasite how long until its ready to emerge?
i would quarantine her off from the rest. its not really a necessity until the parasite pops out...but better safe than sorry right? and as long as she is still eating, webbing, etc. i wouldnt worry too much and just enjoy the time you have with her. and it really depends on the parasite as to when it will emerge, heat, how much it eats, type of parasite...all these will come into play. so in other words... i dont know. :D

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, don't take this the wrong way but I hope you are wrong LOL.
When my last avic matured male after only a few months I bought this one as a replacement hoping it would last longer.

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, don't take this the wrong way but I hope you are wrong LOL.
When my last avic matured male after only a few months I bought this one as a replacement hoping it would last longer.
LOL!!! i hope so too!!! :D

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a little wild caught avic that has a very odd shaped abdomen, this has developed over the last month or so. I'm wondering if it may be a parasite or??
May not necessarily be a parasite. I think that may be jumping the gun a little. Any other ideas everyone?

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Many members here have had spiders with odd lumps at one time or another. Sometimes, a parasite jumped out and other times it went away after a few moults.

It's impossible to tell if it's a parasite until something pops out.

I wouldn't try to breed it or anything, but if it is a parasite...rest assured that it is most likely not transmissable.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The link to the thread below suggests that it might be a hernia. Not sure exactly what that means for a T but maybe this will help.

Lump

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for all the info. I moved her into another room just to be on the safe side.
You can't tell from the picture but there is a bump on both sides of the abdomen, weird. Hopefully it will go away with a couple molts.
She is only 2", still has a nice long life if she survives this.

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thought I'd give a quick update. Above spider has just molted, looks like the strange bump is gone. On examining the exo, I found it to be really thick in abdomen area, almost like it had a a piece of left over exo stuck from its last molt.
The area that was bulging was very thin though and she had a bit of trouble getting out of her skin. I took a picture of the inside exo, will post it up in a bit.

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Perhaps it's a scar. Scar tissue can be thicker (can be thinner too) and if the spider was WC then maybe it got into an incident, survived, and healed up. The scar was the result, but unlike us, it grows a new skin, removing the lump.

Just a hypothesis...

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Its as good a hypothisis as I can come up with. I'm just glad it wasn't a parasite.
It was such a very weird molt, her abdomen was too thick to split so she just pulled out of it leaving a hollow shell behind. I actually had to cut the exo so I could see inside, it was that hard.

This is the exo, the dark part is where it is hard, the hole is where the lump was. I almost wish I hadn't cut it open.

She's looking pretty good but it looks like the lump may still be there, hopefully it will work its self out over the next few molts.

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my blondi had a hernia that looked like a big, nasty tumor until she molted (i was afraid she'd spill her guts when she molted, honestly. fortunately, the new molt developed under the rupture and now she has a big circular scar where the lump was. i'm sure it will be repaired by next molt.

i'm rooting for your baby :)