What is it? Is it poisonous?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
there are no poisonous spiders. only venomous, that one is venomous, but not enough to harm you at all even if you managed to get bit. that looks like a classic orb weaver to me.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
That is one cool looking spider. I agree with Venom1080 in that it is an orb weaver. Should never bite you, where actually is it? Looks like a gutter or something like that.

-Edit, I had no idea widows could look like this :bag: I know now this is, in fact, a widow sp. :)

Last edited:

Kuini84

Arachnopeon
That is one cool looking spider. I agree with Venom1080 in that it is an orb weaver. Should never bite you, where actually is it? Looks like a gutter or something like that.
It is on a bucket that has a Chile pepper plant in it. The plant is held up by a piece of bamboo and alot of spiders hide inside the bamboo with there webs outside. Keeps the pests off. I am in gilroy, CA

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I have to disagree with what others said above. You are in front of one of the most 10 venomous spiders so caution is advised.
A la Stan Schultz: "You have been warned!"

:troll:

Ranitomeya

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That is no orb weaver. That's something in the genus Latrodectus, the widows. It looks like a juvenile Latrodectus hesperus.

SC Tarantulas

Arachnoknight
Be careful with identifications. This looks very much like some species of Latrodectus (Widow Spiders) like L. geometricus or another similar species in the genus. I'm almost certain of it although I am no expert. I have kept several species though. If it is, then it's venom is quite potent. Nothing to be scared and not aggressive in any way but I would be cautious if you have small children or pets that could come in contact with her.

Kuini84

Arachnopeon
Be careful with identifications. This looks very much like some species of Latrodectus (Widow Spiders) like L. geometricus or another similar species in the genus. I'm almost certain of it although I am no expert. I have kept several species though. If it is, then it's venom is quite potent. Nothing to be scared and not aggressive in any way but I would be cautious if you have small children or pets that could come in contact with her.
I thought it looked like a widow too, just widows don't have those patterns. Picture is not perfectly focused but the pattern is really cool. I know almost nothing about spiders but I have found many including huge tarantulas

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
White band on the front of the abdomen is reminiscent of Steatoda.

SC Tarantulas

Arachnoknight
I thought it looked like a widow too, just widows don't have those patterns. Picture is not perfectly focused but the pattern is really cool. I know almost nothing about spiders but I have found many including huge tarantulas
Widows most certainly have this pattern. There are many more species of widow aside from the ever popular Black Widow.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Juvenile widows certainly do have those patterns - they just lose them as they mature to the more familiar all-black form.

See for example http://bugguide.net/node/view/1277772/bgimage and http://bugguide.net/node/view/1160036/bgimage

Given that OP is in California, this appears to be a juvenile Western Black Widow, Latrodectus hesperus.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Yea man it's a Latrodectus.. Put him in a 32oz deli with about an inch of coco fiber and a few twigs to web on..

Kuini84

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the responses. This is my first post and finding this cool spider peaked my interest. Hopefully I will find some more cool spiders on my trip to Mexico later this year

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
As long as you don't try to bring any home lol. If you do see any while you're there you'll have to post some pics for us... please?

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
I see that it's been resolved (thankfully), but it's definitely a Latrodectus. Most likely a juvenile hesperus.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I have to disagree with what others said above. You are in front of one of the most 10 venomous spiders so caution is advised.
A la Stan Schultz: "You have been warned!"

:troll:
i thought you were completely joking...
looked like a MM orb weaver to me, my bad. :banghead: