What is it doing?

Shayna

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
When I let my g. pulchra sling walk across my hand it walks with its abdomen up in the air, and I can see silk being strung out behind it, is this how slings put down silk or what is going on?

My camera/computer hook up thing isn't working, so this is my paint drawing of what it looks like. 's pretty good.

widowkeeper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i got a few Ts that will lift their abdomen like that when they dont want to be touched as for the silk dunno some just seem to lay silk 24/7 your guess is as good as mine :p the raised abdomen id say is to let you know how big and bad he is and the silk so he dont get lost? :clap: but really i have no clue

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
nw ts usually put their butt up in the air when they are stressed. it means something like 'if you go on messing with me, i'll flick hairs!'. so maybe you just handle it too often.

many ts will web on your hand - i guess it's because they can hold on better that way.

Shayna

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Oh thanks, I was thinking I should handle it less too. Guess I should make a small mod to my pic, lol.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My Avic braunhauseni sometimes stays for hours with the butt raised high in the air, I don't bother her and stay away, she's all alone.. Someone can explain this???:?

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My G pulchra did the same thing, and I think I asked the same question. It may be some sort of defense posture.
I vote your drawing should be your avatar. Very cute!

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
ts can get stressed by things you don't even notice, like the cars outside, weather conditions, music,... some of my more nervous ts did the 'butt in the air thing' for weeks while theere were streetworks outside.

wburke17

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have one thats about an inch and when it walks on my hand its abdomen is down, but as soon as it gets to my arm where its hairy it raises it up... maybe there tickilish;)

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Quite a few spiders will spin 'guidelines' behind them. Jumping spiders are famous for this and some tarantulas do this, as well.

It depends on individuals.

Makes them a bit easier to find when they escape.

Walter

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
LOL! If there's a "Best Avatar" contest around, yours is a 100% WINNER! ;P :D {D

lunixweb

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My camera/computer hook up thing isn't working, so this is my paint drawing of what it looks like. 's pretty good.
hahahaha yep you're right it's a pretty good draw... when I saw it my first impression was "ohhh what is that :p ", but my imagination starts working and yeah it looks awesome.. :D

dukegarda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I might be off on this one. But the first thing that came to my mind was parachuting. Spiderlings of many species of spiders send silk into the air which catches a draft and lifts it into the air and it parachutes around to a new location. It's really unlikely that a heavy, large, fairly fragile G. pulchra is trying to parachute.

BTW, amazing picture. :worship:

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As soon as i saw the pic i knew what he was talking about:) . My rosehair has done it on me.