What is happening with my Brachypelma Vagans?

JayEx3

Arachnopeon
image.jpeg Is my b vagans about to go into pre molt? As you can see the abdomen isn't dark or anything, but it's been refusing to eat. If anything, it seems scared of the dubia roaches despite the fact that it has eaten them before. Last night I tried giving it pre killed dubia but this morning I saw that it has not even touched it. Also, i can't really say if it's lethargic or not. It wasn't always the energetic type and nowadays it just stays under the hide all the time. Whenever I nudge it with a q-tip it seems energetic enough.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
It will be fine. Spiders dont do much, nor do they eat all the time. Please dont poke it about. It is possible that it is appraching a moult.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I was of the same opinion an upcoming moult, and as @KezyGLA said don't prod it, if you feel you need to nudge the spider use a soft bristled paint brush that way if it bites it won't break a fang, the sling looks well fed so I'm not surprised it's not eating, this sp. is renowned for fasting especially when a moult is impending, hope all goes well @JayEx3

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Whenever I nudge it with a q-tip it seems energetic enough.
What a cutie!
I wouldn't nudge him to make him move -- there's no point in forcing him to move.
I agree with Blue Jaye -- your lil one is probably active at night when it's dark & you're sleeping.
Yours is still small -- his whole life right now is about growing up: eating, developing new exos, moulting -- rinse and repeat.
Enjoy him while he's this size. :)

Socfroggy

Arachnoknight
Oh hey I think I saw your post on /r/Tarantulas! Glad you decided to hop over!

JayEx3

Arachnopeon
It's just being a tarantula. Probably moves about a lot when the lights are off.
what if I know for a fact that it doesn't move even when the lights are off? Should I be concerned then?

Jason B

Arachnosquire
He's plump enough to last on him to his next molt ;)
This..

Once a sling like this eats the amount of food they need to take them to their next molt they kinda just hunker down and wait for their new exoskeleton to grow. Tarantulas aren't exactly the most active of animals..a tarantula not moving around alot isn't a cause for concern.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
what if I know for a fact that it doesn't move even when the lights are off? Should I be concerned then?
Unless you wake up periodically to check on your T at 3am (which I have done because of the same worrying feeling you are having) You won't be able to tell much. As long as it isn't curling its legs in it is okay. Yours looks nice and healthy.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
There's nothing to worry about @JayEx3 this is quite normal, in a week or two you'll notice the abdomen getting darker going to an inky black then it'll become apparent when the T is about to moult, it's hard not to worry but please try not to, it's all in the life of a spider, just keep the water dish filled at all times.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I'd challenge you to set up a cam and run it for 24 hours, although it is normal for Theraphosidae to just sit still.
If there is no incentive to move like predator or food, why waste resources to move to another spot? They are highly efficient animals. Waste not, want not ;)

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I'd challenge you to set up a cam and run it for 24 hours, although it is normal for Theraphosidae to just sit still.
If there is no incentive to move like predator or food, why waste resources to move to another spot? They are highly efficient animals. Waste not, want not ;)
As @Andrea82 said, if your T has no incentive to move, it won't waste the energy, it will store the energy for it's upcoming moult, which is the most exhausting process a tarantula goes through, stop worrying please @JayEx3, your T is fine and dandy.